Hey, we're less than a month away!

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Where's all the chatter!?

If you were planning on making it any year, this should be the year. I can't say why, exactly, but you should plan on making it if you've been saying "one of these years," and especially if you are a return visitor.

So much work has been put into this by mom and dad, especially mom, you're missing out if you aren't planning on going.

Can't wait Ed, really looking forward to the whole event. How is the list looking?

Gastons? I'm bringing buttermilk coldslaw and German potato salad with Mac and cheese...

brian];1866278 said:
Gastons? I'm bringing buttermilk coldslaw and German potato salad with Mac and cheese...

Uh, no. Look at the forum we're in.

I wish I could make it, Ed, but with classes starting before Labor Day now, I don't see how I'm ever going to be able to make the "official" fly-in before I retire. I still hope to get up there for the 4th or some other summer weekend, if I can work it in. Next year, maybe.

Someday I'll quit my job and make it.

Or not. Because then I'll be broke.

Hmm.

Anyone hiring IT guys and giving Australian amounts of leave per year?

I'd even take it unpaid.

I truly hate my buddies from Australia when they describe their vacations. And I hate my employers over the years a touch more every time I see their photos from interesting places around the globe.

One of them is directly paid by our tax dollars. Beat head here.

Between his longevity with his company and a bank of time they're allowed to build up separate from their yearly time off for sabbatical type endeavors, he's got something like 10 weeks per year of paid "holiday" time standard, with more in his sabbatical bank.

If someone invents a time machine, please go kick a Puritan's ass while you're back there for me.

Well, I didn't want to bring this up too early lest it overwhelm the field's capacity ...
I'll be bringing my uke to join in the hootenanny. With Diz on guitar and Jeanette on spinet, it could be quite a deal!

Well, I didn't want to bring this up too early lest it overwhelm the field's capacity ...
I'll be bringing my uke to join in the hootenanny. With Diz on guitar and Jeanette on spinet, it could be quite a deal!

Also a Japanese term for someone who gets thrown around.
(OK, really just the training partner, who *usually* gets thrown around)

You throw a ukulele, a banjo, and an accordion off a ten story building. Which hits the ground first?

Who cares?

Do you know the difference between a banjo and bag pipes? (Told to me by a banjo player...)

The banjo burns longer.

John

First 30 people to attend get a crisp bill of unspecified denomination or country of origin.

How's that for sweetening the pot?

Martina (Skywalker) and I will also be in! We can't wait - for the 6Y9 fly-in and for North Fox Island on the way up! :D

Leslie and I are definitely looking forward to seeing y'all! We've actually been there every year, including the grand re-opening, even if we needed to come on a different day (4th of July) or drive 9 hours (with a citation) to get there!

I have a project that was scheduled to go-live Sept. 1 but there were rumors (hopes?) that it would get pushed to December. Unfortunately they decided last week not to push it out, so the Joneses will not be able to make a last-minute arrival after all. :( :(

We REALLY want to get the boys up there sometime! Especially so they can see Ed's "This used to be the highway. Look out for bears." ride. Oh, and I guess seeing *some* of the 6Y9 faithful would be good, too. ;)

I wish wish wish wish I could make it. But this year it comes right in the middle of my class, can't get it covered. That, and I can't land the Mooney on four thousand foot strip without floating most of the way. I am not in any way ready for 6Y9. Not certain the aircraft will ever be ready for 6Y9. Mooneys sit low.

Have fun without me. Left lots of Watershed, enjoy.

I wish wish wish wish I could make it. But this year it comes right in the middle of my class, can't get it covered. That, and I can't land the Mooney on four thousand foot strip without floating most of the way. I am not in any way ready for 6Y9. Not certain the aircraft will ever be ready for 6Y9. Mooneys sit low.

We've had a couple Mooneys in there without any issue. Maybe by next year it will be 3,000.

If in dkubtt head to Land of Lakes

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

[...] Not certain the aircraft will ever be ready for 6Y9. Mooneys sit low. [...]

Wow, this must be the lamest excuse ever ;) :D :
1,100 ft. dirt strip @ 4,300 ft. MSL: https://youtu.be/M2jxlupGO_E
Pretty rough dirt strip in Utah: https://youtu.be/se_CChnE2ac

This guy also has some other pretty impressive videos on Youtube... :yes:

Too bad that you won't come - personally, but also because I was hoping that you would let Martina and me sit in your beautiful new plane. I am trying to convince her that a Mooney would be the better choice as our next plane than a 182 (she doesn't want a retract).... :)

Michael M20C should have no issue at 6Y9 its groomed so well. Your comfort with your skills is another thing so is your schedule. Sadly I will be in Florida for work. 6Y9er is more fun that people should be allowed to have.

That looks amazing. Would love to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad that you won't come - personally, but also because I was hoping that you would let Martina and me sit in your beautiful new plane. I am trying to convince her that a Mooney would be the better choice as our next plane than a 182 (she doesn't want a retract).... :)

Desert airstrips are no comparison to a turf field amongst the trees. Yes, the "C" can perform but the pilot better practice and know the performance before committing to any particular short field.

[...] Yes, the "C" can perform but the pilot better practice and know the performance before committing to any particular short field.

No question. I referred to the statement that the M20C might not be suitable for this airstrip.

No question. I referred to the statement that the M20C might not be suitable for this airstrip.

It might not be. Turf does not equal dirt. Clear space does not equal the 50' trees at 6Y9. I have flown a "C" and I would not take one into 6Y9 without some testing on a turf strip. It should be able to make it in and out light but "should" does not equal "will".

It might not be. Turf does not equal dirt. Clear space does not equal the 50' trees at 6Y9. I have flown a "C" and I would not take one into 6Y9 without some testing on a turf strip. It should be able to make it in and out light but "should" does not equal "will".

I was mainly trying to tease Steingar - no offense. :)
Ed however actually said that a few Mooneys already made it in without an issue.

I was mainly trying to tease Steingar - no offense. :)
Ed however actually said that a few Mooneys already made it in without an issue.

I understand the tease point and was deliberately challenging it. I've helped Steingar get out of 6Y9 before and understand his caution.

There are probably guys who could land airliners in that space, but I'm not one of them. Perhaps I will be some day, but do remember that for everyone's cajoling I'm the one who's stuck with the repair bill (and the stranded airplane) in the event of a prop strike.

I LOVE 6Y9, wish I could come. Perhaps once I have the IR I can get up there a bit more dependably on a tight schedule, but that's not how things sit now. Gotta work. hate it when that happens.

I'll be happy to meet you halfway (even though I think halfway to you guys is Toledo :vomit:). That said, where the Mooney wins is efficiency. Skylanes are nearly as fast as my Mooney (135KTAS vs 140, I believe) and they get into tight spaces way, way better. They just burn a little more gas to do it. Think about your mission. If you really like getting into the turf strips up there and camping in the outback, the Skylane is your airplane. It'll lift whatever you can put in it, and you can put a lot. It'll get into and out of anything. The Mooney is more of a travel machine.

I thought there were options for someone to come get a pilot from KOGM(nice airport) or Land O Lakes, WI. You would have to transfer some gear, but it should be totally doable if wanting to attend the 6Y9 fly-in. You can always hitch-hike. Back in the day I hitch-hiked home with my cased shotgun, picked up right away along a U.P. Highway. The truck was buried in a mud hole.

From OGM just cut through the 'section 16' road, come out conveniently near Hoppy's Bar, have a 'Widow Maker' from the Keweenaw Brewery.

Just mentioning in case someone doesn't have the perfect plane for operating on grass/turf.

I thought there were options for someone to come get a pilot from KOGM(nice airport) or Land O Lakes, WI.

Yup! Those options are still offered... thanks for mentioning it again.

Sounds like there will be some new pilots not associated with PoA, some from RAF, and some of the local pilots are planning on coming again. Yay!

Whatever the numbers, it's always been a great time and we're gonna miss all who can't make it this year.

Yup! Those options are still offered... thanks for mentioning it again.

Sounds like there will be some new pilots not associated with PoA, some from RAF, and some of the local pilots are planning on coming again. Yay!

Whatever the numbers, it's always been a great time and we're gonna miss all who can't make it this year.

I've got local-to-me friends planning to come up in a Luscombe. Plane & pilot are returning visitors, just haven't hit the fly-in.

Should I bring Cole Slaw? There it's in this thread to.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Back