Hey USAirways, thanks for screwing my Aunt

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
This is a long story...with a request at the end (for those tl;drers amongst us).

My aunt is moving from New Hampshire to California in May. She has a dog, approx. 17 pounds large.

She was referred to USAirways as the place to go for taking dogs, as someone else had done it with ease and had no problems. Refreshing as it is, my aunt was not concerned with price, she simply wanted the airline to be the best for taking dogs.

She called to make sure it would be ok first, and was told "All dogs up to 20 pounds are ok," and that she would need to bring the dog down to get approved. She went down to the counter and was told she needs to buy a ticket first. So she went online and booked the ticket and came back the next day, being told "No, you were told incorrectly, dogs must be under 10 pounds."

She asked to speak to a supervisor, who reaffirmed the 10 pound rule. My aunt then called USAir and was told "There is a 15 pound limit on dogs."

So she asked for the supervisor, the person came back and apologized, saying "Actually, its 20 pounds, I was wrong."

The person at the desk reluctantly allowed a bigger dog than 10 pounds on the airplane, and gave my aunt something in writing that would allow it. She went home, a bit frustrated, but happy.

She decided she'd need a crate, and wanted to find out about size. She called USAirways and was told that they have them available for rent at the airport. My aunt confirmed this about 5 or 6 times to make sure it was correct.

Knowing the last time they were wrong, she went to the airport and was told that they only offer the crates for rent at airports USAir serves internationally. My aunt was frustrated, but let it go, because arguing over a product they don't have is useless.

She was then told that they do sell the crates there. She asked if she could buy one, and was told that the only crates they allowed on the plane had to be able to be stowed under the seat like normal carryon. Her dog is too big for this, and when she explained this, she was told that the dog would not be able to come, and a supervisor agreed.

My aunt called US Airways and was told the same thing by the rep and the supervisor, that the dog must fit under the seat. So she informed them that she'd like to cancel the ticket.

"Your ticket is non-refundable, ma'am, but what we can do is let you take the ticket price as a credit for a future flight, but you'll have to pay a $100 reticketing fee."

She explained that she only bought the ticket in the first place, because she was assured the dog could come, but couldn't be approved until the ticket was bought.

They won't listen.

SO that's the story. Who can she contact (and how, I'm at a loss trying to find contact info for her) to get this resolved?

From their web site:

US Airways
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Corporate Headquarters Location:
111 W. Rio Salado Parkway
Tempe, AZ 85281

Corporate Headquarters Phone:

480-693-0800
7 a.m.-5 p.m. M-F; Closed Sa-Su

It might be worth a trip up there sometime just for the fun of the flight and some personal harrasment of the guilty parties.

How well does the dog get along with stangers?

We got Henning across the country, maybe we could do the same for your Aunt's dog or both of them if she's up for it?

Joe

edit: I wish I was surprised by an airlines treating someone that way.

I always notice when sitting at the food court at Houston and watching
the ramp that Continental has a van .. I can't remember exactly what it says
on the side .. but it's like a pet taxi that I guess takes them from flight
to flight. So obviously they're pet friendly.

Really sorry to hear about your aunt. Customer service is all about getting your money. Once they have it all other bets are out the window.

Also send a letter of complaint to the US Department of Transportation. While they won't do anything directly, they will forward the letter to the airline and keep it in their tabulation of complaints. Often the airline is much more responsive to letters that come through DOT.

This is a perfect example of why a lot of people will not fly USAir.

It wasn't that long ago I heard of an organization much like AngelFlight for pets. Maybe someone remembers it.
The key to getting satisfaction on any complaint is to pursue it with the tenacity of a pitbull. Just because one person says no, doesn't mean you can't find someone else. Also, a no is only their opinion until they can show you company written documentation. Even then, there is fine print. Write a letter to the company. Your aunt wants her money back on the ticket, plain and simple.
You might also try one of the NEWS OUTLETS consumer reports. THEY LOVE stories. And they do get results.

I had to make so many calls to DirectTV to get what I wanted..I had one guy read back the 4 things that I was going to get on the next visit only the have the installer know about none of them and tell me that everything the rep said was wrong.

I got on the forums and see the standard advice is keep calling CSRs until you get one that offers you what you want and RECORD THE CALL. It's called CSR roulette, I recorded my last call.

What with recorded conversations with clueless CSRs showing up on line, and mere mortal consumers having to record calls just to prove to the next rep that the previous rep DID say that, call recording might turn into a nice business for somebody.

Oh, I have a story about US Scareways. I HATE that airline!!!!

[edit] BTW, contacting anybody at that airline is a waste of time.[/edit]

Last edited:
We took the dog down to ABQ several years ago. He's big, and needed a big crate (purchased at a pet store). The baggage handlers couldn't get it in the door of the airplane in Milwaukee without needing to tilt it up at a 45-degree or so angle. They did not do this, to avoid hurting the dog. That was also the biggest plane out of Milwaukee. So, they rebooked us out of Chicago early the next morning, paid the hotel in Chicago so we wouldn't have to drive a couple hours that early, and gave us vouchers to cover the gas to get down there. While sitting on the plane just prior to pushback, a flight attendant came to the seat to say that the dog had gotten on the plane successfully. Dog and people made it to ABQ in good shape.

Thanks, United. :yes:

Truth is I can tell horror stories about flying United, Continental, Delta, NorthWest, USAir, SouthWest, and probably a few more I can't remember. They all have lapses in customer noservice. USAir has been no worse, and certainly better at times than others.

Just my $.02.

Just flew UselessAir (America Worst) from Mazatlan to PHX to PDX yesterday. That is a combination of the flights I WILL NOT do again. Mazatlan was great. It was the flights home that needed improvement.

1. Asked the ticket agent for exit row seats. Was assured that we had exit row seats, even though Exit Row was not printed on the boarding passes. We sat in the row behind the exit rows on both legs. TA needs training on how to read her screen, or how to tell the truth to customers.

2. I WILL NOT arrive internationally at PHX with a transfer again. Nice short walk to immigration and customs. Typical immigration officer checking passports (first rate, friendly and professional - TSA could learn from these folks). Bags took a long time to show up in customs. Well, nothing different there. But, our flight from Mazatlan was late, we were down to about an hour, and you HIKE a long way from customs to the first place you can clear security to get back to the gates for your connecting flight. And TSA was taking their own sweet time. We made our connection, just. I don't like running through airports and my wife can't move as quickly as I can. Lesson learned, don't buy an itinerary with less than 2 hours between flights. Better yet, avoid PHX for this purpose. Pay the extra for a nonstop to PDX or SEA.

Useless Air and Americal Worst merged. As one fellow passenger noted, a marriage made in "heck".

At least their planes had more legroom than Lufthansa, Delta and Continental in cattle class. I will give them that.

Truth is I can tell horror stories about flying United, Continental, Delta, NorthWest, USAir, SouthWest, and probably a few more I can't remember. They all have lapses in customer noservice. USAir has been no worse, and certainly better at times than others.

Just my $.02.

Mark,

Appreciate your view. I've had bad experiences on other carriers, too, but nothing compared to the continued and repeated failures of USAir. In my opinion, it's not that companies have bad events, it's how they recover from those events that counts. From personal experience, US and UA have provided the worst recovery of any airline I've flown on, with US significantly worse than UA.

Too bad they kept the worst characteristics of Allegheny after they bought and subsequently destroyed the former Piedmont airlines.

Mark,

Appreciate your view. I've had bad experiences on other carriers, too, but nothing compared to the continued and repeated failures of USAir. In my opinion, it's not that companies have bad events, it's how they recover from those events that counts. From personal experience, US and UA have provided the worst recovery of any airline I've flown on, with US significantly worse than UA.

Too bad they kept the worst characteristics of Allegheny after they bought and subsequently destroyed the former Piedmont airlines.

Sounds like they just need to run national ads with the slogan, "Rising." and then not do it.

Mark,

Bill,

True - but I guess I have enough miles with USAir to afford myself some special treatment. FWIW, the absolute worst treatment I ever recieved was with Delta and Continental, both of which (I have been told) tend to be better than USAir.
YMMV

BTW, you back east yet?

A perfect example of why I jot down names of any CS rep (and especially any supervisor) I talk to over the phone, in person..what ever. When you write letters to the company or some regulatory agency, it'll get a little more attention to name names and times.

Bill,

True - but I guess I have enough miles with USAir to afford myself some special treatment. FWIW, the absolute worst treatment I ever recieved was with Delta and Continental, both of which (I have been told) tend to be better than USAir.
YMMV

BTW, you back east yet?

Yeah, each has its bad apples. I generally get better treatment on Midwest, Delta, American, and Southwest (not necessarily in that order). But I have "status" on the first three on that list - frequent flyer status really does buy better treatment. For a non-status flyer, Southwest and JetBlue win hands down (the JB meltdown at JFK notwithstanding). Continental treats their first-class and status passengers quite well, too. The "regional" or "commuter" affiliates on ALL of the airlines are really bad... Comair and ASA being two of the worst.

I'm working on coming east. Currently have a possible line on a hangar, and working on a residence. More later.

I travel commercial air MUCH more than I really care to.
(field support with my job)

The best airline was Hooters air.
Not sure about the planes but, the ladies that serve the drinks gave the word 'turbulence' a whole new meaning.

The worst flights were Deltas commuters (Embrier Turbo prop puddle jumpers)

As for USAir.. I got screwed too... ($2700 stock deemed worthless on their bankruptcy) They wouldn't even let us use it on 'empty seat' purchases.. Go figure !!

Who can she contact (and how, I'm at a loss trying to find contact info for her) to get this resolved?

Did she pay by credit card? Can't you call the CC Company and dispute the charge?

It seems to me an absurd policy, if it is one at all, to require the purchase of a ticket in order to find out the rules accompanying the use of said ticket.

she would need to bring the dog down to get approved. She went down to the counter and was told she needs to buy a ticket first. So she went online and booked the ticket and came back the next day, being told "No,

dont they just put the dogs in the cargo hold...i used to see all kinds of animals and dogs in airports comign off of airplanes...they look scared to death..and ive seen dogs that were way bigger then 20 lbs too

Ant

Back