Hey TX folks

Flymeariver

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
I am flying commercial into DAL but actually need to end up in Houston. Would y'all recommend driving between the two or hopping a second flight to get there and back? Google shows it is a 4 hr drive so figured I would ask

I would drive.

I would stop in West, Texas (the town that the fertilizer plant blew up).

I would order a Kolache (incredible Czech-based pastry) from The Village Bakery.

I would then drive thru Austin and stop at John Mueller Meat Company for Brisket for lunch.

A great drive.

Google lies.... from Denton to Katy it's 5.5 hrs no matter how you slice it.

$100 each way for not fighting the road idiots is a good deal.

When are you coming through?

I would drive.

I would order a Kolache (incredible Czech-based pastry) from The Village Bakery.

I would then drive thru Austin and stop at John Mueller Meat Company for Brisket for lunch.

A great drive.

Ummmm, wrong highway.... You're thinking of I-35 going toward Austin and San Antonio.

For KDAL to Houston, he would be on I-45.

Ummmm, wrong highway.... You're thinking of I-35 going toward Austin and San Antonio.

For KDAL to Houston, he would be on I-45.

Yup. I drove it day before yesterday.
it was over 5 hours

It's a simple drive. Traffic on I-45 sails along at 80 for the most part. Until you get to the Woodlands, anyway. Then it can vary between acceptable pace and a parking lot depending on the time of day. I'd rather fly but if you're going to need a car in Houston anyway? I'd probably drive it. It kinda depends on where you're going and what you're doing. Driving in Houston isn't my favorite thing. Driving away from Houston suits me better.

Thanks guys! $256 including early bird option on SWA whatever that is. Still better than worrying about if will miss the Dallas flight.

You did consider which airport suited you best, right? I believe SWA uses Love Field and Houston Hobby. United Express and American Eagle go DFW to Bush Intercontinental. Just another detail to consider.

You did consider which airport suited you best, right? I believe SWA uses Love Field and Houston Hobby. United Express and American Eagle go DFW to Bush Intercontinental. Just another detail to consider.

Valid point. IAH for the north side of Houston, Hobby for south side.

Yea the reason ended up with Love field is because that's where Virgin America flies into and I couldn't pass up those first class rates. Hobby seemed to be best for running SWA between the two places but in the future I'll forgo the Virgin flight and go straight to Houston. Luckily the course is right in the middle of both Houston airports.

Last edited:
Yea the reason ended up with Love field is because that's where Virgin America flies into and I couldn't pass up those first class rates. Hobby seemed to be best for running SWA between the two places but in the future I'll forgo the Virgin flight and go straight to Houston.

That is the correct answer. Connecting when you don't have to really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, sux.

Did I mention that connecting when you don't have to sux?

his dad owns an airplane...

Yeah but he wouldn't own it if I hadn't gotten him interested in flying.
2016 is shaping up to be the year I get my name on a title.

Mike,
I didn't fly it because the trip + the week of missed work was :yikes::eek::sad::( dollars and it didn't make sense to add avgas + 8 days of hanger fees.
I wanted to...

I would drive.

A great drive.

And stop in Elgin for sausage.

Avoid driving to Houston, from Houston, around Houston, or through Houston.

Just avoid driving anywhere near Houston.

Think L.A. in Texas. That's what they call it. ;)

RIDF787.png

Who calls it that? I'm a Houston native and never heard that before... But our traffic is nowhere near as bad as that in LA haha

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

No traffic if you jump and ride the median ;-)

Just kidding, but our traffic is mild for a major city. I haven't found another large city with better traffic!

No traffic if you jump and ride the median ;-)

Just kidding, but our traffic is mild for a major city. I haven't found another large city with better traffic!

Those are some damn good meds your on. Mind sharing? :lol:

I used to drive a truck into Houston. This was about 25+ years ago. Traffic wasn't really that bad, unless there is an accident. Leaving Houston was even easier.

I hated driving over the ship channel bridge, the guard rails were only 6 inches high, or it seemed that way to me....

Google lies.... from Denton to Katy it's 5.5 hrs no matter how you slice it.

$100 each way for not fighting the road idiots is a good deal.

When are you coming through?

He's still gonna have to get the rentacar and spend at least an hour each way from airport to Katy...

Any good places to eat there? Looks like the hotel has a restaurant but lord knows how good it is. Hotel shows it is in the "west energy sector"

Any good places to eat there? Looks like the hotel has a restaurant but lord knows how good it is. Hotel shows it is in the "west energy sector"

West Energy Center = Katy, TX.

Some good places exist in the area. Plenty of Yelpers heeling to identify the good ones.

LA in Texas... haahaa.. you better mean Louisiana.

In Los Angeles they say, this traffic sucks, but at least I'm not in Texas. Oh look, there's a mountain, oh look, there's an ocean, You notice how it's never humid here?

Anyway...since you're committed to DAL at this point you might as well jump southworst down to Hobby. Will waste less of your life overall.

Funny what lengths some guys will go to in order to ride first class. I'd have been happy in the back if it got me where I wanted to go easier. No question. Layovers and changing flights is my least favorite part of traveling. A free drink and a bad sandwich are little consolation.

Oh, c'mon now. They're not even close to being the same. Compared to LA, Houston drivers are notoriously poor shots.

It's a simple drive. Traffic on I-45 sails along at 80 for the most part. Until you get to the Woodlands, anyway. Then it can vary between acceptable pace and a parking lot depending on the time of day. I'd rather fly but if you're going to need a car in Houston anyway? I'd probably drive it. It kinda depends on where you're going and what you're doing. Driving in Houston isn't my favorite thing. Driving away from Houston suits me better.

The weather matters. My commercial flight arrived very late because of storms in the DFW area. Upon landing (and sitting out waiting for a gate) I hit the internet and saw the storms departing so I called one of the car rental agencies and had me a difficult but successful drive to Houston.

I beat others on my flight into DFW that were also heading to Houston by at least 6 hours.

Katy has plenty of chain restaurants. They also have some good bbq places. The locals at your school should be able to direct you. Feb in Houston is pretty nice. Traffic sucks. Stay out west unless you want to see a show, or concert.

Houston is a car city like L.A.

Everyone owns a car. Or two. Or three.

Mass transit is non-existent so everyone drives. Seriously, you guys never heard it called the L.A. of Texas? Y'all don't get out much ...

Houston is a car city like L.A.

Everyone owns a car. Or two. Or three.

Mass transit is non-existent so everyone drives. Seriously, you guys never heard it called the L.A. of Texas? Y'all don't get out much ...

I've heard it called the armpit of Texas.

Back