Hey, something I didn't know about...Jesse or Jason please read

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
So I never realized that the "Mark Forum as Read" link in the search results subjected users to a 3 second wait on repeat searches. Maybe it's just me - cause I will click on 2 or three "mark read" links at a time in rapid succession, and I used to never see the "wait between searches" message. Now I do - which must be tied to the usergroups I'm in now.

Suggestion - change permissions on "Validated Users" to wait 0 seconds between searches. If someone abuses that, just ban em ;)

I don't see where it can be set per usergroup. I only see one value in the "Message Search Options"...and it's 3 seconds.

I don't see where it can be set per usergroup. I only see one value in the "Message Search Options"...and it's 3 seconds.

Hmm. Must be bypassed by administrators then. Ok, I'll deal. ;)

It is slightly annoying but I think a couple of years ago it was at 10 seconds and that was really annoying. I may be wrong about that as there are two other non-aviation forums I post on and they have long wait times between every query.

I've lowered it to 2 seconds for now. I don't see it causing any problems, but we'll try it like this and see how it goes. When we upgrade to 4.0 we'll take another look to see what our options are.

When we upgrade to 4.0 we'll take another look to see what our options are.
Are we gonna do that?

I admit to not knowing any of the details of this software, but I am hearing multiple complaints about the 4.0 version from 3.x users. The first complaint is about the licensing, and then it gets into some of the details and that is where I lose interest. This is a tool to me, not a lifestyle.

Are we gonna do that?

Yes, we'll likely upgrade at some point. We've already installed a demo version of 4.0 to get a feel for it. I'd like to post a 4.0 version of the site before we actually switch to let everybody get a feel for it.

I admit to not knowing any of the details of this software, but I am hearing multiple complaints about the 4.0 version from 3.x users. The first complaint is about the licensing, and then it gets into some of the details and that is where I lose interest. This is a tool to me, not a lifestyle.

Yeah, the biggest complaint is that they charged people for it again (lifetime owners of 3.x licenses had to pay for 4.0 licenses). It is kind of a bummer of a deal, but honestly, vB is the best of the best and we'll likely do it anyway. There are features in the new version that we're very interested in using in our community. More details to follow.

The pricing for 4.0 is also much higher than 3.x or any earlier versions. The concern there is the new owners of vBulletin may be less focused on quality than income. Time will tell - but if vBulletin falls off it's high standard, the market will be open for a new horse.

That started to happen to me when I upgraded to Explorer 7, but when I switched to FireFox it no longer happens.

I was on my Daughters computer the past 2 days and it happens on her Explorer 7 also.

Back