Hey Scott---

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
I saw a CG Helo at JOT today. I believe it was a Dolphin. Could that have been you? Do you know what it was doing there? My CFI who has worked at JOT for years said that he has never seen a CG helo on the ramp at JOT before....

:confused:

I saw a CG Helo at JOT today. I believe it was a Dolphin. Could that have been you? Do you know what it was doing there? My CFI who has worked at JOT for years said that he has never seen a CG helo on the ramp at JOT before....

Well, I don't think it wouldn't have been Scott himself, since he flies a fixed wing :blueplane:.

Not me. I fly the fixed wing side of the house.

The Dolphin (HH65) is in town until labor day and is based up at Waukegan. You may have heard that there was a person lost in the river near Oswego and it is likely they were assisting in that recovery effort.

Nope not me. I only fly UH-60's for the Iowa Guard. Truthfully I haven't flown a heli in the the last three weeks. I wanted to get a look at a HH-65 Dolphin at the Quad City airshow but it wasn't there. The airshow as really cool and they and a good collection of planes and heli's to browse so I walked away happy anyway.

Nope not me. I only fly UH-60's for the Iowa Guard. Truthfully I haven't flown a heli in the the last three weeks. I wanted to get a look at a HH-65 Dolphin at the Quad City airshow but it wasn't there. The airshow as really cool and they and a good collection of planes and heli's to browse so I walked away happy anyway.
The Dolphin is pretty cool but small. In the back there is not a lot of room. With the flight mechanic back there and the rescue swimmer tucked, a basket, and other gear not alot of places to tuck other people. The cockpit layout is real nice and the pilots like flying it a lot.

The Dolphin is pretty cool but small. In the back there is not a lot of room. With the flight mechanic back there and the rescue swimmer tucked, a basket, and other gear not alot of places to tuck other people. The cockpit layout is real nice and the pilots like flying it a lot.

I heard the same. That is one of the reasons I would have like to see it and talk to the pilots. They look pretty cool also.

I heard the same. That is one of the reasons I would have like to see it and talk to the pilots. They look pretty cool also.
We are going to have an end of year picnic with the -65 crews in August before they go back up north. I'll let you know and perhaps you can fly in and have a burger with us and you can talk to the gang. I am not sure if we will be right at the airport but if we are we can probably let you see the helo.

Thanks Scott....sadly I will be activated and down at Fort Sill, OK the month of Aug.

When I was in (1988-96), we had the Dolphins at Cape May, and they were pitifully under powered. Lycoming first did a "power-by-the-hour" deal where the CG only paid for the engine time they got, and then eventually they got better engines. They were great fun fast helos, and great at the search part of SAR, and good for the LE missions. The Jayhawk is a much better rescue platform though, in my opinion. There was almost no room to work a patient in the dolphin.

When I was in (1988-96), we had the Dolphins at Cape May, and they were pitifully under powered. Lycoming first did a "power-by-the-hour" deal where the CG only paid for the engine time they got, and then eventually they got better engines. They were great fun fast helos, and great at the search part of SAR, and good for the LE missions. The Jayhawk is a much better rescue platform though, in my opinion. There was almost no room to work a patient in the dolphin.

I had heard the 65's were pretty bad to begin with, but the new engines seem to be not giving them any fits. My initial CRM instructor flies the HH60 and he loves it. He was an Apache driver when he was in the Army but says he enjoys the Jayhawk much better. He had also just PCS'ed from Sitka a month earlier. he had lots of good stories of flying up there and I got the distinct impression that the location he was flying the Jayhawk in played a big role in his enjoyment of the aircraft.

I talked to a crew up in OSH last year and they said the new -65 engines had made a big difference. We had several former army aviators and a marine pilot too, before they came to us. The culture shock for the marine was kind of funny to watch.

Back