Hey Pete!

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
A nice looking 1-26 with enclosed trailer is on Wings and Wheels and Barnstormers. Check it out! 9000 bucks

Actually I just saw an ad in the back of the SSA mag for a Phoebus A with trailler for $6500 in Illinois.

BolkowBolkow Phoebus A-1, N1747, Serial # 776, 1967. Annual 9-8-06. Fresh annual at purchase. TTAF 1094.8. Standard class. Fusilage excellent. Wings Good but would look better refinished. Winter vario. Good enclosed trailer. Always hangered at LWV S.E. Illinois. $6000 Charles Klein.

Pete

How can a real airplane cost under $30k?? ;)

I just gotta ask but know I'll hate the answer, how much are annuals?

If the glider is in good condition..probably could be done for less than $100. If there are major avionic problems, around $150.

I'd hate to have to pay for an engine overhaul on one of those things.

There has to be some cost with gliders. There never is a free lunch with aviation. So with inexpensive planes, very reasonable annual and I would assume other maintenance what is the catch? Is it the tows and getting back to base from off field landings?

yea that could catch you scott. a couple examples:

1000 foot tows in my club cost 16 bucks. if you are needing landing practice while training you can usually easily get 4 in an hour, so 64 an hour, about the same as renting.

2000 foot tow is 32 bucks. last april i took a 2000 foot tow and landed 5.5 hrs later at the airport. thats pretty cheap.

last fall i took a 2000 foot tow and flew 4 hours and landed 100 miles away. i had to buy 2 tanks of gas in my car for probably 50 bucks back then, and supper for matt and I. so that flight probably cost me a little over 100 dollars. still not bad.

basically - if you can soar the hourly cost is pretty good. but if you just go up and down its no cheaper than flying airplanes. and if you can find a club that auto or winch launches, then it really can be super cheap.

There has to be some cost with gliders. There never is a free lunch with aviation. So with inexpensive planes, very reasonable annual and I would assume other maintenance what is the catch? Is it the tows and getting back to base from off field landings?

Scott- did you miss the pun deliberately? Subsitute "launch" for "lunch"...

Back