Hey Mooney C model guys (and other lycoming/"SAPs")... Have You've seen this AD

The FAA estimates that this proposed AD would affect 115 crankshaft assemblies installed on airplanes of U.S. registry.

Labor cost = 61 hours per crankshaft assembly replacement × $85 Hourly Wage = $5,185.
Equipment costs per crankshaft assembly replacement = $9,636 (Source: Average of the two manufacturers).

$5,185 labor per crankshaft assembly + $9,636 equipment costs per crankshaft assembly replacement = $14,821 compliance cost per engine.

The FAA estimates that this proposed AD would affect 115 crankshaft assemblies installed on airplanes of U.S. registry.

Labor cost = 61 hours per crankshaft assembly replacement × $85 Hourly Wage = $5,185.
Equipment costs per crankshaft assembly replacement = $9,636 (Source: Average of the two manufacturers).

$5,185 labor per crankshaft assembly + $9,636 equipment costs per crankshaft assembly replacement = $14,821 compliance cost per engine.

Yea... I read that... My motor was OH'd sometime near the questionable manufacturing period of these faulty serial numbers... I think I missed it by about a year but I won't know until I look at the OH papers... Plus I'm not sure if it required a new Crankshaft at the time :dunno:

phew, my engine isn't on the list. I'll drink to that!

Mine was also overhauled about the same time. I just talked to the guy at the engine shop where my engine was done, and he doesn't think an SAP crank went in, but it is possible. Gotta have a look at the engine log new title I'm at the hangar. I can say only one thing. If this hits me I'm done. I'll sell the aircraft and be done with aviation.

How many shops only charge $85/hour anymore. I know the one at my airport is like $105

Here is the important meat & potatoes:

Discussion
The FAA learned of three SAP crankshaft assembly failures that took place on March 6, 2017, August 3, 2017, and October 31, 2018, that resulted in the loss of engine power and immediate or emergency landings. Since the FAA received these reports, the FAA determined that the crankshaft assembly failures resulted from the manufacturing process at SAP's crankshaft vendor during 2012 and 2014.

Here is the important meat & potatoes:[/B]

Discussion
The FAA learned of three SAP crankshaft assembly failures that took place on March 6, 2017, August 3, 2017, and October 31, 2018, that resulted in the loss of engine power and immediate or emergency landings. Since the FAA received these reports, the FAA determined that the crankshaft assembly failures resulted from the manufacturing process at SAP's crankshaft vendor during 2012 and 2014.

That’s not even the first appetizer...

I called the company that redid my engine. They said they didn't put in the SAP crank shaft, but they aren't certain. I'm going to check my logbook, and see. Like I said, if its there, I'm done.

How many shops only charge $85/hour anymore. I know the one at my airport is like $105

Many in the midwest are still at or under $85/hr. In fact, it would be an anomaly to find one over that.

Inferior Superior parts.

Another benefit to doing my own overhaul. I don't have to wonder, I have every manufacturer, part number, and serial number in a binder dedicated to the overhaul and digitized in searchable pdf form. I know instantly that I'm not impacted by the AD. But hey, you can still think that expensive overhaul at a "reputable company" is worth more if it makes you feel better. :D

Based on this sentence:

"Since the FAA received these reports, the FAA determined that the crankshaft assembly failures resulted from the manufacturing process at SAP's crankshaft vendor during 2012 and 2014."

and being that my engine OH was in 1999, am I safe to assume I'm not affected?

Based on this sentence:

"Since the FAA received these reports, the FAA determined that the crankshaft assembly failures resulted from the manufacturing process at SAP's crankshaft vendor during 2012 and 2014."

If you didn't buy a new crankshaft you also know you're not affected.

Based on this sentence:

Considering nobody is affected yet, I'd say you're safe.

Mine was also overhauled about the same time. I just talked to the guy at the engine shop where my engine was done, and he doesn't think an SAP crank went in, but it is possible. Gotta have a look at the engine log new title I'm at the hangar. I can say only one thing. If this hits me I'm done. I'll sell the aircraft and be done with aviation.

Lot of folks share that sentiment on the certified side. I completely hear ya. My footprint in the hobby is pretty well insulated by a cheap PA-28 airframe so it's not burning a hole in my pocket (I can afford a lot more airframe...I just haven't seen the value added pencil out so far when these complexity and legacy parts sourcing woes get included in the calculus), but I wouldn't hesitate to unload if some AD attempted to force me into an expenditure I didn't feel had any value added in my recreational life (I'm looking at you, wing spar eddy current proposed AD).

In my case, I'm not ready to give up on rec aviation completely, and renting unfortunately doesn't fit my interests. Which is why I still float the option of EAB to anybody who will listen, as I think it's the place this thing is going to continue to gravitate towards. Especially so because of case studies such as this one and other high dollar pop-up mx expenditures that become captive audience due to the overbearing nature of applying certified rules to non-revenue airplanes.

In my case, I'm not ready to give up on rec aviation completely, and renting unfortunately doesn't fit my interests. Which is why I still float the option of EAB to anybody who will listen, as I think it's the place this thing is going to continue to gravitate towards. Especially so because of case studies such as this one and other high dollar pop-up mx expenditures that become captive audience due to the overbearing nature of applying certified rules to non-revenue airplanes.
If you had one of the affected engines in your experimental would you keep flying it? To replace it you have to take apart the engine, who's going to do that, you?

Sixty-one hours to R&R a crankshaft? That's Island Time.

If you had one of the affected engines in your experimental would you keep flying it? To replace it you have to take apart the engine, who's going to do that, you?
Why not? I did it on a certified aircraft.

It could be you, as aircraft engines are archaic and trivial to work on. A few "gotchas" that are well known.

This is why you need to buy parts with the proper part numbers and PMA paperwork.

(And, if this happened on my e-ab ride, yes, I would replace the crank myself.)

This is why you need to buy parts with the proper part numbers and PMA paperwork.
(And, if this happened on my e-ab ride, yes, I would replace the crank myself.)

These are newly manufactured Cranks that were shipped between 2012 and 2014 by SAP's supplier. Would SAP knowingly use parts not legitimately FAA certified PMA? Possibly, but more so, unlikely....

phew, my engine isn't on the list. I'll drink to that!

Have a bottle of this. You can now afford it.

Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese
m2266-1-1547091648.jpg

Courtesy

Average Price: $13,220

Maximum Price: $33,883

The most expensive white wine is this riesling from the Mosel region of Germany. The Müller family has been producing wines in the steep, slate vineyards there since 1797.

Have a bottle of this. You can now afford it.

Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese

Average Price: $13,220

Maximum Price: $33,883

The most expensive white wine is this riesling from the Mosel region of Germany. The Müller family has been producing wines in the steep, slate vineyards there since 1797.

that is CRAZYtalk!

Lot of folks share that sentiment on the certified side. I completely hear ya. My footprint in the hobby is pretty well insulated by a cheap PA-28 airframe so it's not burning a hole in my pocket (I can afford a lot more airframe...I just haven't seen the value added pencil out so far when these complexity and legacy parts sourcing woes get included in the calculus), but I wouldn't hesitate to unload if some AD attempted to force me into an expenditure I didn't feel had any value added in my recreational life (I'm looking at you, wing spar eddy current proposed AD).

Why don’t you just go ahead and sell and get it over with. o_O

Geez.

It could be you, as aircraft engines are archaic and trivial to work on. A few "gotchas" that are well known.
The FAA is claiming 61 hours of work. That's a sold week and a half. I guess I'm weird, I already have a job to go to. You do you, I'll do me.

So, uh, what are the odds of getting some money from the manufacturer. Anyone know if they are still around?

The FAA is claiming 61 hours of work. That's a sold week and a half. I guess I'm weird, I already have a job to go to. You do you, I'll do me.
Lol you’re the one that put your judgment on someone else in the first place.

Back