Hey Jesse... or other webserver experts

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
I am setting up a new server to replace one at a company that's rapidly going down the tubes since they moved to a new DC. I have a bunch of domains on the old server, using custom nameservers. Both servers have similar software: centOS, Apache, WHM... nothing weird.

I created new custom nameservers on the new server because the connection to the old DC is so unreliable that I have to move the accounts one or two at a time; so I need both servers up for a while. That means, of course, that I have to change the nameservers for each domain.

I'd like to just assign the old nameservers to the new server, so I would have four, which would allow me to just change the nameserver IP's on the remaining accounts rather than changing each domain's nameservers. My plan was:

1. obtain two additional IP's and assign the old nameservers to them on the new server.

2. transfer the accounts using WHM (I have it running on both servers).

3. manually change the IP's for each transferred domain in the new server to the first of the two additional IP's that are being used for the additional nameservers.

4. also enter the new IP information in the DNS zones on the old server for continuity during propagation.

5. change the "CNAME" entry for mail.[domain] on each of the domains on the old server to an "A" entry with the new IP, for the same reason.

6. Change the registered IP addresses for the old nameservers to the new IP's.

7. Set up rDNS.

Now here's the thing: Because the additional nameservers would have a different domain name than the hostname of the server itself, I have been told that rDNS could be a problem. I really don't understand why that would be an issue, because I would be using dedicated IP's for the additional nameservers.

If I shared the existing IP's, I think that might create rDNS issues; but what I don't understand is why it would be an issue when using dedicated IP's that would be registered to those nameservers?

Thanks,

Rich

You have a lot of options. Many of which depend on different factors. This conversation would be most effective on IM. Give me a shout. Web providers providing crappy service seems to be the latest trend.

AIM: jessejangell
MSN: jesse@jesseangell.com
Yahoo: fatalerror007

Last edited:
Back