Hey Jason (and ATCers) - Ground Stop question

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
AIS at 1030 said:
Due to [ OTHER / COA REQUEST ] there is a Ground Stop in effect for traffic arriving [ Newark International Airport(EWR) ].
AIS at 1150 said:
Due to [ OTHER / AIRL REQUEST ] there is a Ground Stop in effect for traffic arriving [ Newark International Airport(EWR) ].

I've seen COA ramp request ground stops before when they run out of room, but it's always said something like "This stop is for COA, COEX, and COCO flights only" or "This stop affects only COA, CJC, BTA, UCA flights." Can the airline really request that they GS the entire airport?

This is especially perplexing as Continental has had 100% cancellations of Connection and Express flights both yesterday and today. Even with snow removal I can't believe the ramp is in bad enough shape to require a ground stop; there's almost no volume in there. Yesterday they were anticipating between 1-3 operations per hour, and I hear they didn't even make that.

I've seen COA ramp request ground stops before when they run out of room, but it's always said something like "This stop is for COA, COEX, and COCO flights only" or "This stop affects only COA, CJC, BTA, UCA flights." Can the airline really request that they GS the entire airport?

Well, they can always request it, granting it would be a bad idea.

Well, they can always request it, granting it would be a bad idea.

I suppose that's how I should have put it...How can the airline request a GS and have them actually grant it? As best as I can tell, this stop has been in effect for almost two hours now.

It's a groundstop for COA aircraft only, not to anyone inbound to the airport. The GS is specific to a particular operator. Therefore only COA would be groundstopped to EWR. Everyone else is free to go until there is an AFP or GDP in effect for everyone.

Obviously if the airline doesn't want you going, you won't get a dispatch release. But it's just a double check to make sure a COA aircraft doesn't takeoff bound for EWR.

Last edited:
It's a groundstop for COA aircraft only, not to anyone inbound to the airport. The GS is specific to a particular operator. Therefore only COA would be groundstopped to EWR. Everyone else is free to go until there is an AFP or GDP in effect for everyone.

Obviously if the airline doesn't want you going, you won't get a dispatch release. But it's just a double check to make sure a COA aircraft tries to takeoff bound for EWR.

I guess I don't see how the quoted GSs (the ones from today) are for only COA. There's nothing in the remarks that says it's company specific, it just says "for traffic arriving EWR."

I guess I don't see how the quoted GSs (the ones from today) are for only COA. There's nothing in the remarks that says it's company specific, it just says "for traffic arriving EWR."

I don't know where you're getting that data from. Where is it from?

I use the ATCSCC OIS to get data directly from the command center. It will read *COA ONLY* under SCOPE when a GS has been requested by a particular airline.

Continental can't ground stop all traffic into EWR. It doesn't work that way. :D

I don't know where you're getting that data from. Where is it from?

I use the ATCSCC OIS to get data directly from the command center. It will read *COA ONLY* under SCOPE when a GS has been requested by a particular airline.

Continental can't ground stop all traffic into EWR. It doesn't work that way. :D

It's the automated emails from the FAA. I signed up for it somewhere on the FAA website. I'm guessing something must have been left out when they sent the emails, because that really didn't make much sense to me.

It's the automated emails from the FAA. I signed up for it somewhere on the FAA website. I'm guessing something must have been left out when they sent the emails, because that really didn't make much sense to me.

Yeah, those are probably generic delay messages for the general public. What is on the ATCSCC OIS (http://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/) is real time data that is displayed in ATC facilities. They have some other systems in addition and have a slightly different display, but it is very similar.

We got an email at work today -- apparently certain airlines had gross connectivity issues with the FAA today. B6 supposedly had issues as well.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back