Hey Greg - 777 rejected takeoff

$750,000 for a dozen tires??? Or, is that also for hubs and brake assemblies? I hope the latter!

Greg, are the hubs on those magnesium? I recall magnesium hubs on the S-3 Viking having a potential to catch on fire if gotten hot enough.

i suppose it was the entire assembly kenny, since it got heated to 3000 degC and all, i suppose it was all toasted.

I was sitting in an AA777 at the hold short and had a great view of a UAL 747-400 in front of me at ORD sucked in a baggage container that was blowing across the runway. It caused a nice flame to shoot out of the engine, the 747 was on its take off roll and there was some nice smoke form all the wheels. Once the 747 came to a halt it sat on the active, fire trucks did arrive , the wheels had stopped smoking and after a visual inspection the plane taxied off and we were then allowed to take off. It was only about a 15minute total delay for us. Colleagues on the 747 said that it was interesting. The stop was quick with a lot of deceleration force. The capt. made PA announcements to stay seated and what had happened. Once they taxied back they had a several hour delay to get a new plane as theirs had to have some serious inspection work and maintenance.

Was that test just breaks or did they use reverse thrust as well?

Acutally, Adam, I believe they keep the engines at full power for the duration of the braking test. I remember seeing Wings or something on TV showing these tests, and the engines were screaming along the whole time.

couldve been screaming in reverse thrust...

i suppose you are right. 4000 is a long way to stop with reverse.

The test is done with full engine thrust, not reverse thrust.

Acutally, Adam, I believe they keep the engines at full power for the duration of the braking test. I remember seeing Wings or something on TV showing these tests, and the engines were screaming along the whole time.

Not possible. Everybody knows the brakes can't hold if you have your foot on the gas....:rolleyes:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/15/unintended-acceleration-allegations-leveled-against-jeep-grand/
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-04-13-unintended-acceleration_x.htm

They stacked the deck against the pilot. The brakes were worn to minimum allowed thickness. Now if that was your standard automobile, you'd be going off the end of the runway at speed.
And wasn't that Peter Coyote? The thing is a snippet from the show they had on cable about the 777.

Back