Hey girl, how much do you weigh?

One of the reasons for doing the weight and balance is CG; another is gross weight. You have to start somewhere. Without knowing the weight, you can't find the CG.
But then, you knew that.

Yes. My point though is that while I MIGHT be ok departing with the weight at or slightly over gross (given sufficient reason like the indians are coming), I'm not gonna depart out of the CG envelope, ever. If that means the indians get one of my passengers, that's what it means.

Rant on:
Ok, I am thinking that women who won't own up to their weight for the purposes of loading an aircraft are vacuous, superficial, silly and not worth the time to haul anywhere.
Rant off.

Are vacuous and superficial synonyms?
Not the same, but I recently learned one of my relatives NEVER admitted her actual age. It changed even on the books, when the new census came through. It wasn't until she died that we found out for sure how old she really was...

I'm not gonna depart out of the CG envelope, ever. If that means the indians get one of my passengers, that's what it means.

In my plane, I'd rarely get to fly if I worried about being out the front.

I'd never fly it out the back, but then again, its impossible to get it out the back...literally.

Sounds like a lot of men and women on here hate me. There was a scale last night at the Reid Hillview airport terminal. The PIC stepped right on for fun. I asked why it was in the lobby, guessing WB. I ran away. And yes I can fit in that poster's 34 inch jeans, the ones I wear say 28 on them but you know how sizes lie these days. I used to fit into 26's and 27's.

Funny thing is I just emailed WB to my CFI for Sunday. We will have 4 people in the plane and all I had to give him was a total assuming he weighed 200 (and he did)! That was so cool, nobody got to know mine.

Has anyone actually had a bad experience asking someone their weight or is it just embarrassment and queasiness about the subject on the part of the asker?
I had a pax give me an answer 20 pounds off, and that put us out of aft CG for an aerobatic flight. The spin recoveries were a little weird before I figured it out.

My solution for XC flights where the load is critical is to weigh everyone with their bags in their hands. Then I send them off to the potty and weigh the bags.

So then there was the time when my wife's boss -- all 450 pounds or so of hiim -- wanted a ride somewhere in my Lance. One other person was going with us. When the big guy saw the club seating, he said, "oh, this is like a limo" and chose the rear-most seat. Fortunately, I had anticipated this and had filled the nose baggage bay with pallets of water before he got to the airport.

So then there was the time when my wife's boss -- all 450 pounds or so of hiim -- wanted a ride somewhere in my Lance. One other person was going with us. When the big guy saw the club seating, he said, "oh, this is like a limo" and chose the rear-most seat. Fortunately, I had anticipated this and had filled the nose baggage bay with pallets of water before he got to the airport.

Aren't there also limits on the seats themselves in many aircraft?

I'd never abuse Cessna seat tracks, rollers, etc... with a 300+ pounder unless they said they were paying for them. My butt is bad enough on them.

In Ken's case, I guess if the boss busted a seat, I hope he'd be writing the repair check.

Aren't there also limits on the seats themselves in many aircraft?

I believe there is on a Piper.... Back some 30 years ago when I bought my first plane, PA-28-151 Warrior, the issue of overweight people appeared one day during an annual.... Seems there was an inflight fire of another Warrior in the rear seat area caused by a rather "tubby" person who crushed the seat itself and pushed the seat springs into the battery posts below... I was new to ownership and my mechanic says there is an AD to address.. My next question was.. What's an AD:dunno:;)... So, he orders an FAA approved "fix" and in a few days it shows up ready to install... The kit consisted of a 20X20" piece of plywood, a few fasteners and the paperwork to make it legal... We had already pulled out the rear bench seat for the inspection and just followed the diredtions.

1- Position the battery post protector ( plywood) over the area directly over the location of the right rear seat.

2- Attach said protector over seat springs with supplied fasteners.

3- Make log book entry to show compliance of AD...

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

So, there I sat, looking at my first plane with visions of FAA approved aerospace safe, time tested, quality controlled top notch parts in my flying machine like most people envision and before me is a 2 dollar piece of plywood, jury rigged to the seat springs to prevent them from shorting out on the battery posts and I am holding a bill for a few hundred bucks.:yikes::hairraise::eek:... I bet it was about that time in my life where the words "experimental Homebuilt" popped into my mind..:idea::yesnod::yesnod::rolleyes2:

Back