Hey all - Newbie just finished third lesson.

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
One of my hobbies is redoing old Harleys and I'm a member of a few Forums in that respect. We always ask that new members introduce themselves, so I thought I would do the same. I wanted to fly 25 years ago entering college and thought I would join a ROTC program. Navy turned me down for flying because I was colorblind. Army would only allow me to fly copters as a warrant officer, but not what I wanted to do. Well, decided I would pursue my Rec or Private license now since my issues with color may or may not only preclude me from flying at night, and after three lessons I'm hooked. After the discovery flight, I've moved into the S-turns, slow flight, rectangular pattern, circular pattern, done a number of touch-and-go's along with final stops, make most of my radio calls now and even had my instructor reach over at 3500 ft, kill the power, and tell me "you've just lost your engine...now what?" LOL. Luckily his ground school was great, so I was able to go through my ABC's quickly... (A: Airspeed, B: Best Place to Land, C: Quick Check of all dash controls and fuel, right to left, D: Declare Emergency, and E: Prepare to exit the plane.) He let me mimic my downwind, base, and final, get down to a few hundred feet of a farmer's field I had identified as a landing site before he said "Great, you would have survived. Power up and get us out of here..." Next ground/flight school will be practicing some stalls.

If I had deeper pockets, I'd probably fly every day... :D

Last edited:
Sounds fun! Hope your wallet can afford your new addiction!

That sounds like a blast! We haven't done anything like that yet, and I'm on about lesson #3 too. (4's tonight)

We've done lots of pattern work, and a bunch of touch-and-goes. Also, most of the turns, steep turns, stalls, etc, but no ground reference maneuvers yet.

I agree, so addicting.

That sounds like a blast! We haven't done anything like that yet, and I'm on about lesson #3 too. (4's tonight)

We've done lots of pattern work, and a bunch of touch-and-goes. Also, most of the turns, steep turns, stalls, etc, but no ground reference maneuvers yet.

I agree, so addicting.

Yep, it's been very cool so far. I read all the chapters of the Airplane Flying Handbook that apply to this single-engine Cherokee in five days, which probably proves I'm a little too gung-ho right now. Bout crapped my pants when he took out the power and had me go thru the emergency landing stuff, but it ended up turning out great. Only snafu I've had thus far was during my high-speed roll after a landing. For whatever reason the plane started going toward the left side of the runway. I thought I was applying good right rudder to bring her back, but maybe in my attempt to brake I was also applying left rudder. Who knows, but it'll be in the back of my head next landing.

Good luck on the lesson tonight!

I thought I was applying good right rudder to bring her back, but maybe in my attempt to brake I was also applying left rudder.

If you're applying brakes significantly and your wheels are on the ground, that's going to overpower anything you do with the rudder.

You will need a little more right brake or a little less left brake under that circumstance.

The rudder is for before the brakes are applied, including while the nosewheel is still off the ground. No brakes should be used until all three wheels are on the ground; then the rudder is critical.

You'll get it.

Hobo, welcome to the forum!

Have you discussed the color blindness with anyone? I don't know for sure, but I think color blindness prevents you from getting a medical.

The reason I think this, is that there is a guy I know who is color blind and flies Light Sport because he says he can't get a medical. Do some research on this. As I understand it, if you are denied a Medical you are not eligible to fly Light Sport.

You might want to post on the Medical Factors, I think it's called, on this forum and run this by the flight surgeons that often hang out there. You don't want to risk being turned down for a medical which would completely eliminate your chance to solo anything as I understand.

Just a heads up for you.

Enjoy!

If you're applying brakes significantly and your wheels are on the ground, that's going to overpower anything you do with the rudder.

You will need a little more right brake or a little less left brake under that circumstance.

The rudder is for before the brakes are applied, including while the nosewheel is still off the ground. No brakes should be used until all three wheels are on the ground; then the rudder is critical.

You'll get it.

Makes sense MAKG, and that's probably where I messed up. First thread on POA and I'm learning stuff already. My next flight is scheduled for Monday, so I'll be sure to NOT make that same mistake again...

Hobo, welcome to the forum!

Have you discussed the color blindness with anyone? I don't know for sure, but I think color blindness prevents you from getting a medical.

FALSE

As I understand it, if you are denied a Medical you are not eligible to fly Light Sport.

TRUE

I am colorblind (at least by the testing) and have a Third Class Medical. They put a restriction for no night flying and no light gun operations since it would be hard to tell if an airplane is coming at you or going away by the navigation lights.

If you really want to fly at night, there is a process to do actual light testing to remove the restriction. I never bother since I don't fly at night.

Cheers

Thanks for the information Geezer. I hope Hobo reads it.

You have my curiosity turned up about the fellow I know saying he can't get a medical because of color blindness. I only see him a few times a year, but I'm anxious to talk to him about it when I see him.

BTW Geezer, I'm glad you have this all worked out so you can fly.

You have my curiosity turned up about the fellow I know saying he can't get a medical because of color blindness. I only see him a few times a year, but I'm anxious to talk to him about it when I see him.

Yep, I read it Doc, along with the thread that John included earlier. I already have a message in to an AME to discuss my condition "off the books" before I do anything formal with the FAA...

It won't kill me to only fly during the day, but if I'm able to pass the required tests and safely fly at night then NOT having a restriction on my PPL is my preference...

Welcome to PoA. You're personal finances are now screwed.

Yep, I read it Doc, along with the thread that John included earlier. I already have a message in to an AME to discuss my condition "off the books" before I do anything formal with the FAA...

It won't kill me to only fly during the day, but if I'm able to pass the required tests and safely fly at night then NOT having a restriction on my PPL is my preference...

Yeah, one night my dinner with another pilot was delayed by more than an hour and I had to fly him home in the dark. I was passenger current for night and it was a good option to have. One of those "you never know when you might need it" things.

It may be your friend is after a 2nd or 1st Class certificate that involves more than just the light test. Or they may need one for a flying job that does not permit the limitations on their certificate.

The fact is one can have a lot of fun flying during the day time, regardless of wether or not the color of your socks match. :rofl:

BTW, back when I was on flying status with the USAF, I always flunked the test using the book. They then gave me a box of yarn with different colored balls and asked me to pick out the red, green, etc, I passed that and got a medical certificate with no limitations. Things were simpler then. But I repeat myself. :D

Cheers

Last edited:
Sounds fun! Hope your wallet can afford your new addiction!

lol, sell a Harley or two, and buy a plane :)

Hell, depending on the Harley. Sell one, buy two planes.

At least he is not leaving an inexpensive hobby for an expensive one. Just shifting a bit :)

You'll get it.

I regularly apply brakes with the nose in the air as part of my short-field technique, or to make an earlier turnoff. I was taught this by my CFI. I smoothly apply brakes while smoothly applying back-pressure to avoid slamming the nose down. It takes practice, but I can brake fairly heavily with nose in the air. The combination of aerodynamic drag and brakes gives me a very short landing roll.

I've flown with other CFI's who have had me wait until the nose is down, retract the flaps, then brake. This always requires more braking and a longer landing roll.

4th lesson last night. More slow speed, practiced two more engine failures (one with a real landing on the runway), and did eight landings, four on each of the runways. 1.4 Hobbs hours on a great night to fly. Kept messing up my radio calls though, which I thought I had practiced and had down. Guess flying the plane is a little different than making the calls while driving my jeep. Frustrating though...

4th lesson last night. More slow speed, practiced two more engine failures (one with a real landing on the runway), and did eight landings, four on each of the runways. 1.4 Hobbs hours on a great night to fly. Kept messing up my radio calls though, which I thought I had practiced and had down. Guess flying the plane is a little different than making the calls while driving my jeep. Frustrating though...

You might try listening to LiveATC. There is both an App and a web site to listen to various ATC Facilites like towers, Approach Control, etc.

Mike fright is common but you get used to it. Just a few weeks ago while doing some flying with a CFI, I couldn't get clerance to taxi. The CFI suggested they could hear me better if I turned on the Avionics Master Switch.:D

Cheers

I've had my ticket for almost a year and I still don't get the radio stuff. Don't worry, it will come to you with time. I used to get so worried about it that I would screw things up trying to be perfect. I still miss radio calls in the pattern (such as crosswind).

This may help you with the radio calls:

http://flash.aopa.org/asf/radiocomm/swf/flash.cfm

The radio calls will come, particularly if you train at a towered airport.

I suppose there is always VATSim

I have about 2,700 hours and hate to go into towered airports. But I fly into a lot of uncontrolled airports and don't get to practice towered airports much. I have some videos of some of my backcountry flying.

Back