"He's busy!"

jshawley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Shawley
So my CFI's other job is pumping "gas" (jet-A) from a vertically-enhanced gas station, otherwise known as a KC-135; he's been activated to play in the "'Stanbox", and will be gone indefinitely. My 90-days' solo endorsement is either expired of about to expire.

Shall I get one of the other Part 61 CFIs to go up and give me another 90-day check out, but keep my regular for all the rest of the activities? My intent is to hold off on solo XCs, &c until he returns.:dunno:

What think ye?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Jim,
Respectfuly submitted.....it is never going to be cheaper to finish your training than it is right now. Move ahead, get the training, get your license. Your CFI will understand, really. Your loyalty is impressive but putting off till tomorrow what you can do today can get pretty expensive.

I agree with F&F you can forget alot and spend more time redoing it. Also the over all cost of flying could go up. Your CFI should and will understand, maybe ask him to suggest someone for you.

Jim,

I'd go ahead and finish - for the reasons mentioned by the others, and the fact that the military has had a reputation for extending tours of duty.

What if your CFI doesn't come back for a very very long time? Then you forget what you have learned and have to relearn it all over again. That is where it gets very expensive. Trust me....no one knows better than me!!!!!

Talk to you CFI. Let him know you want to finish up with him, but can't afford to wait. He'll understand. Ask him if he has a recommendation for one of the others available and if he could smooth the way over by reviewing what you've learned and what you're missing.
Don't be surprized if you end up reviewing stuff with the new guy, or if you miss some part of the training. If you have a sylibus you're working with, review it with both of them at the same time. Make sure you get everything covered.
Wish him luck, buy him lunch, and get going with the new guy.

I'll add another vote to the "get it done" column. Your CFI should understand.

One other comment:

You will need a CFI after you're done with the PPL - for flight reviews, recurring training, advanced ratings, etc. You can always commit those to your first instructor. In fact, it's not a bad idea at all to use the WINGS program....

Cap'n Jack said:

Same here. Your CFI should be giving you the same advice. And training with a different (but good) CFI will make you a better pilot than going from start to finish with just one instructor IMO.

If you wait, chances are you will take several giant steps backwards in the run to competence. And you'll miss out on some PPL PIC time as well.

Cap'n Jack said:
I'm with Capt'n Jack as well, but if your CFI has a problem with it, send him packing anyway, he does'nt have YOUR best interest in mind, only his pocket book.

Cap'n Jack said:

Ditto...

You'll spend too much time trying to pick up where you left off. If you have the resources...keep going..

Hey, thanks y'all for the insight. Yeah, he'll understand, and I do indeed need to get 'er done. Coupla trips coming up that will be more fun doing in a Cessna rather than a Boeing or CRJ.

Y'all have a good week!

Jim

Back