heres how I burned some blue fluid today

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Morning flight to Lubbock, about 1.5hrs today in the Viking.
I was following my Bo bud up to drop his off for service.
We took off, him ahead of me by abt 4 minutes. We have done this several times before and I enjoy trying to spot him and group up, it can be a challenge.
We have gotten to where we don't talk on the radio. Because he is slower he beelines for the destination and I get to dawdle, do circles etc.
After 10 miles I spotted him, he had gone high. Mistake; I was getting a 35kt kick at 55 and he was no gain at 95. (haha I had checked the winds closely before). He was WAY up there, barely a spec at 2 miles away. I had pulled power back to 16" in order to not blast past him. We continued on top of a scattered layer and below an intermittently high ovc layer. I found it very hard to keep track of him in the gray cloud background. Sometimes I would lose him and it was the same challenge again to relocate him. Across the panhandle/NM border area with its mesquite flats, sand dunes and the oil patch. Wink, Andrews, Brownfield. Coming nearer Lubbock the sct layer below thickened up and I listened in approach. Carriers were using the bc,
hope we don't need a pop-up. Eventually I knew he would need to start down so I barrelled ahead of him to keep us clear and after getting p'PAH, called in. Approach radar was down, so we were getting vectors and giving pos reports. I guess I prefer radar because they put another bo-nana a half mile in front of me (called his pos. wrong), as he crossed over to a parallel rwy. Quick turn no fuel and after dropping off his bird we departed to the S, going to Midland airpark, where we used the (non-a/c, window doesn't move) 'courtesy' car to run errands and go for lunch. Nice ride back on top of building popcorn at 10K, did a practice engine out landing on arrival - too much flap early on, had to retract them but landed on the numbers.
:)

Well, that sounds like fun!

Now, I've not seen anyone ask yet (mighta missed it) but that new avatar.....

Looks like the Jetsons car meets light sport aircraft meets kids pedal car.... so what gives? B)

Back