Hemophilia

U

Unregistered

Should I be able to get a special issuance for a third class medical certificate with severe hemophilia and a VP shunt? The hemophilia is well controlled and I am on a prophylaxis dose. I do not have any restriction of motion or joint damage from the hemophilia. The shunt has been stable for over 15 years. I'm just looking into a private pilots license and didn't want to drop money on lessons without a a decent assurance I could get the medical certificate or know whether I was I better off getting a sport pilot license. I also didn't want to get denied and then not even be able to get a sport pilot license. I'm assuming in my situation I would need to be a bit careful in my choice of an AME who was accustomed to special issuances.

Thanks

You have some money to drop on medical documentation, and then it's not guaranteed. These cases ALL go out to the external FAA hematology consultant(s).

First, what is the target level for % factor Eight, maintained by your regimen and how well can you show that is historically maintained?

The VP shunt stopped working when you were 3 years old. You'll just need the old MRIs, and a current status assement from a Neurosurgeon, + some evidence of your academic performance. For those reading who don't know, a VP shunt is placed for "water on the brain (in lay terms)" during the neonatal period.

Why not start with Sport Pilot? It's slightly restrictive but requires no medical beyond a drivers license.

I take a dose of Factor 8 every 48 hours. The clotting level starts out at around 50-55% but the medicine has a half life of 12 hours. Yes, I have been leaning more towards a sport pilot license as I look at how big of an issue it would be to document everything. Thanks for the information.

You're going to have a very hard time getting certified. Likely you have developed an antibody to Co-8 so your half life is sooo very short. This definitely goes "out of the FAA house" to the consultant.

Life IS short, I'd so LSAs.....but that's me personally talking. It's your hand to deal.

Now why would hemophaelia be disqualifying? Sitting in an airplane cockpit, I generally don't hit anything to start bleeding uncontrollably. I understand the stroke risk but is it that much higher?

Now why would hemophaelia be disqualifying? Sitting in an airplane cockpit, I generally don't hit anything to start bleeding uncontrollably. I understand the stroke risk but is it that much higher?
Does Joe correctly answer his own question(s)?

A/M misses a dose and his factor 8 level drops to 0.2% of normal. He bleeds ito his intestine and worse, into his brain. In keeping with "The FAA has no control if the airman took his med that day...." (ritalin, the PTSD suppressant, etc for examples), what is the regulatory chance that they will permit someone with such a rapid deterioration of the Co-8 level to fly?

When one starts out with hemophilia, two to three week dosage intervals are common......

Hi guys,

I'm also a hemophiliac (27yr British male) - I suffer from Severe Haemophilia A and am soon to begin my studies/training

I've been researching into this matter for a while to make sure I would be able to continue into a career as a pilot - I came across this article which I thought you may find interesting;

http://www.sweetaffliction.com/recentposts/flying-high-with-hemophilia/

I've also seen a few other resources/articles/stories etc which suggest that it is possible to get licensed and to get a job with a major, though the checks are a little bit more stringent and you'd have to get your hemotologist to attest to your condition being under control!

thats one awesome success story..hmmm i quit believing i cud pass my medical as well....i dont have wat hemophilia..just a persistent stiff neck....but i am determined to become a pilot

Should I be able to get a special issuance for a third class medical certificate with severe hemophilia and a VP shunt? The hemophilia is well controlled and I am on a prophylaxis dose. I do not have any restriction of motion or joint damage from the hemophilia. The shunt has been stable for over 15 years. I'm just looking into a private pilots license and didn't want to drop money on lessons without a a decent assurance I could get the medical certificate or know whether I was I better off getting a sport pilot license. I also didn't want to get denied and then not even be able to get a sport pilot license. I'm assuming in my situation I would need to be a bit careful in my choice of an AME who was accustomed to special issuances.

Thanks

i have hemophilia and a third class medical. its a ***** because once a year you have to send a letter to the faa from your doctor. its like getting a first class but a little more hassle

because once a year you have to send a letter to the faa from your doctor.

There are a few SI's that are like that. But future students shouldn't be discouraged. Often the SI's that require annual reports are conditions that a primary care doc should be kept in the loop. And if you have a good primary doctor who understands your desire to fly, then getting the status letter is no more difficult than turning your head and coughing, or listing to the snap of a rubber glove followed by, "Ok, now relax..."

Hi guys,

I'm also a hemophiliac (27yr British male) - I suffer from Severe Haemophilia A and am soon to begin my studies/training

I've been researching into this matter for a while to make sure I would be able to continue into a career as a pilot - I came across this article which I thought you may find interesting;

http://www.sweetaffliction.com/recentposts/flying-high-with-hemophilia/

I've also seen a few other resources/articles/stories etc which suggest that it is possible to get licensed and to get a job with a major, though the checks are a little bit more stringent and you'd have to get your hemotologist to attest to your condition being under control!
Yes it is possible so long as you have not yet developed an Antibody to CO8 and can maintain a 40% factor level. That generally means you don't need more than one infusion every 3 months....

I have two such airmen.

In an unmedicated severe hemophiliac, simply walking can cause hemorrhage into joints. The body is a wonderful thing when everything works as it should - especially our mechanisms for hemostasis.

What I will say is... clotting factors.. like VII and VIII are EXPENSIVE. If it wasn't for insurance or a govt payor, the average hemophiliac would be SOL.

I've given syringe fulls of Factor VII before to cardiothoracic surgery patients who were having a "really bad day".. one of em got two doses... I think each syringe was $25,000 or so. It was hand couriered to me and I had to sign for it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back