Helpful Controller - Outside of his airspace

kjwalker01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Keith
I departed KADS on Saturday for a quick flight to the east. For those not familiar, KADS sits below the KDFW Bravo. I departed and was out of his airspace within a few minutes. About 5 minutes later, he gave me a traffic alert (already had them in sight) and a few minutes after that, gave me another traffic alert and an altitude change (always well below the Bravo shelf).

It was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday, so I guess he had nothing better to do, but I was surprised at the altitude change. The only other time I had somthing like this happen was when I thought it would be a good idea to fly at 3,000ft, right where the Bravo began at that location. The controller told me to remain clear of the Bravo, and when I responded that I was at 3,000, he replied with something like, "just trying to give you a hint." I thought it was snarky at the time, but looking back I realize he really was trying to do me a favor and didn't have to say a word. And not smart of me to fly that close to the Bravo.

So, my question is, is this common for controllers to do, especially with altitude changes well outside of their airspace? No complaints, I really appreciated him looking out for me, just curious.

The Bravo diamensions have nothing to do with the limits of the controller's airspace. Their airspace is sectorized so they work a chunk of the B and areas outside. Without seeing the controller's radar video maps, you'd have no idea which exact areas they cover.

If you were still with tower, yes they can issue traffic outside their airspace if they have a certified radar tower display. How far they want to provide that service is up to them.

Last edited:
We're you still with ADS Tower? Had they given you a code and said "radar contact" after you departed?

I was still with the controller at KADS. Wasn't on flight following, so no handoff or sqwak code.

Back