Help with the right aircraft for my family (and dogs)

Srich1222

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Srich1222
Hey everybody,

I am approaching the time to begin to look at my first aircraft purchase. I even got the OK from the Wife! I'm in no rush so I'm definitely willing to wait for the best deal I can get. Here's my situation:

For now, it's just me, my wife, and our two dogs (70 lb German Shepherds). Planning on having a kid/s in the very near future though. We like to travel home quite a bit and bring our dogs but feel we are limited because it is a 12 hour drive each way. A plane would definitely allow us to visit home more frequently. Also, we live in western South Dakota and there are some awesome little airports around in the Black Hills area that we would love to fly into for those pancake breakfasts with friends.

Our budget is approximately $70k. Would also like something with low maintenance costs and insurance. I'm a pilot in the military with close to 1,000 hours and have my Instrument and Commercial SEL/MEL certificates if that matters any.

What would you guys recommend me to look for? I'd imagine we need something with 1,000lb useful load and about a 500nm range. Through some research I've been looking at Archers, Tigers, and even a Mooney M20 (earlier model). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Some flavor of the Piper 180 may almost get you there, better yet would be a 235, Dakota or Cherokee 6.

We brought our German Shepherd after she was a year or so old, she didn't care for flying to much. We have now decided to leave her on the ground. That's an easy way to save you 140 lbs of weight.

With no kids(yet), and leaving the dogs on the ground, I wouldn't be turned off with the limitations of a 180 HP airplane.

People will tell you to buy your last airplane first, some will tell you not.

I did not. I'm now considering selling mine to upgrade. I honestly cant say if I would have done it the other way if I could do it over again but because of your flight experience I would go straight for the big plane to fit your eventual mission.

For me, being a student pilot in a cherokee six and very likely paying as much for insurance as I would for the airplane payment didnt make sense, so I found a great 172. In the next 1-5 years my mission is going to be changing and I'm going to be in the same boat as you so I'm prepping now

Some flavor of the Piper 180 may almost get you there, better yet would be a 235, Dakota or Cherokee 6.

Thanks for the input so far guys. It's definitely appreciated!

Do any of the above mentioned planes have seats that fold down in the back or any that are easily removable? The main reason is my wife will want to bring our dogs whenever we can (at least for now) and it'd be able to create more space.

The Cherokee Six looks like a great family hauler that would work for my family and I at least until the future kiddos are off to college. My main concern there though, is using it for those short weekend hops in the local area. Are they cost effective for that type of flying as well?

We can start the Dakota vs 182 argument again! This may not be your last plane, but very solid for you for at least 4 or 5 years. Saratoga (Cherokee 6) family would be my final plane offering.Hell, go for the Bonanza!

It's called 'airplane creep', where the requirements keep going higher, even though the budget stays fixed. With your experience and training you should be able to handle most anything, once 'time in type' is accounted for.

They do make soft type dog kennels, easier to get in a plane. Our dog also isn't real friendly around strangers, wouldn't make a good airport dog.

The longest cross-country we did was from MS to AK and back. The two of us did just fine in a Cherokee 140. I mention that so you don't feel that nothing less than a turbo-charged 6-seater will do.

An easy way to get your feet wet is to make rounds at the local general aviation airports, all the better during a fly-in. While you're at it there may be a lead on a local sale that would fit the bill. It's much easier to buy locally, when the rest of the deal falls into place.

Neither the Piper PA-28's nor the Cessnas mentioned have fold-down rear seats. You can remove the back seats, which takes a bit of work and a logbook entry (signed by an A&P), but that's all. For that feature, look at a Grumman Tiger/Cheetah/Traveler, in which our dogs (about the size of yours) travel very happily in the 6-foot flat metal deck area you have when you fold those seat down. The PA-32's (including the Cherokee Six) have a big back door and the back two seats can be removed, which would do nicely in that regard, especially if you want to crate the dogs. However, you won't find as nice a PA-32 for $70K as the Grumman you'd find for the same money, and it's more airplane than you need.

Last edited:
Neither the Piper PA-28's nor the Cessnas mentioned have fold-down rear seats. You can remove the back seats, which takes a bit of work and a logbook entry (signed by an A&P), but that's all.

As per a letter from the FAA the rear seats in all the single engine Cessnas can be removed and replaced by the pilot.
When they have two weight and balance sheets Seat in/ seat out.

Nearly anything will do, I would suggest not going below 180 hp. $70k buys a pretty nice Bonanza these days, or 182. 2 doors and a high wing have their advantages in family planes, especially if you like camping.

Maule or maybe a C180 if you can find one for that price.

As per a letter from the FAA the rear seats in all the single engine Cessnas can be removed and replaced by the pilot.
When they have two weight and balance sheets Seat in/ seat out.
...but you'll need an A&P to sign the additional empty weight/cg data sheet.

This aircraft will serve very well on his mission.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/aircraft/Single+Engine+Piston/1964/Cessna/210D/1761386.html

With a lot of money left over for up grades.

2 seats for kids, and two fold down seats for a huge baggage for dogs.
You must know you don't just carry kids, you carry kids and their stuff.
Cherokee 6 is a great aircraft for this mission, but find one in his budget that does not have a lot of hours as a freighter.

Yeah nice Cherokee 6 for $70k is a tough find, but if you keep your eyes open and aren't in a hurry, they come around, much easier with another $20k. It's probably the most practical family plane out there under $100k.

Definitely a Maule. A good 180 Hp model can be bought for $45-$90K depending on the usual variables. The back seat is held in place with fastpins and mine only takes 2 minutes to remove, or reinstall. Great useful load, a cavernous opening for loading dogs, kids or camping gear and reasonable performance. They come in conventional and tricycle gear versions.

2C2MnVal.jpg

Ko9QelNl.jpg

HxZ3FUjl.jpg

How about showing us the FAA letter which says that?

go to the 170 association's page it's there. they were the first model to be obtained, subsequent type clubs have done the same.

Ask your self, what does a letter of authorization do?

At least we agree on that.

but the 6 place 210 works great too.

And it has a built in 'patio shade' under the wing. I wish they would have built one with the big doors, then it would be perfect.

Thanks for the input so far guys. It's definitely appreciated!

Do any of the above mentioned planes have seats that fold down in the back or any that are easily removable? The main reason is my wife will want to bring our dogs whenever we can (at least for now) and it'd be able to create more space.

Saw Ron's post ... the Tiger has a rear folding seat. Space is so large I've slept back there due to bad weather a few times (without curling whatsoever) using the cowl plugs as a pillow and the canopy cover as a blanket:D

My dog isn't large (30lbs) and she prefers the foot well area behind the co-pilot seat.

Cessna 180. Mine has quick remove jump seats and frankly they're out 95% of the time. Kujo and gear have lots of space in back. You should be able to find a decent plane in the $70K range. Durable, versatile, and fun to fly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    666.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
People always want 1000lbs. payload, long range, STOL, family room, and a good low time airplane to boot ....

It doesn't exist for $70K.

Sure you can find one. But in the land of certified wingnuts costing $10 and maybe one gizmo you're going to need in that 50 year old panel costing $10,000.00 or more, it doesn't really exist.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I never really thought of a Cessna 180 or 210 or even a Maule for that matter but now that I have researched them...they look great! Plus they look to have some potential for grass field landings as well which are always fun

How is the mx costs on either of those aircraft? Again, this info is all much appreciated!

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I never really thought of a Cessna 180 or 210 or even a Maule for that matter but now that I have researched them...they look great! Plus they look to have some potential for grass field landings as well which are always fun

How is the mx costs on either of those aircraft? Again, this info is all much appreciated!

Remember the first rule in buying the aircraft. You never use all your budget buy. Half to buy, half to maintain.

Use all your budget to buy and blow an engine on the way home, get that first annual by a new IA either could bust your dreams.

Back