Help with Stratus weather

Jps19602002@mac.com

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bruuce
Just bought Stratus 2 and upgraded to Foreflight 6 but I can't seem to get the ADS-B weather to display. Traffic shows up but there is no obvious way to turn on or select the weather options. Help?

Go to the Foreflight page and select the radar option with the chart you are using., when you are in the air make sure the I pad and stratus are linked.

Just bought Stratus 2 and upgraded to Foreflight 6 but I can't seem to get the ADS-B weather to display. Traffic shows up but there is no obvious way to turn on or select the weather options. Help?

Hate to ask the obvious, you are airborne when trying to get the weather? I was able to pick it up one time on the ground while driving through the hills of PA.

In most locations you need to be airborne to receive the ADS-B signals. Once receiving, it takes a number of minutes to gather the current radar images.

As others have mentioned, you typically must be airborne to receive ADS-B weather. The traffic you are receiving is likely broadcast directly from aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out capability on 1090MHz, and not from an ADS-B ground station.

You can verify that Stratus is receiving from towers, and how many, through the "Settings" wheel in the main map screen of ForeFlight.

You can select what weather products to display (radar, satellite, flight rules, TFRs, etc.) with the Map Settings menu on the main map screen.

JKG

I flew a 60 min trip at 7000 and still no joy. Foreflight showed 2 or 3 towers. So I think it should have shown something. The stratus was definitely connected to the Ipad. Is there Anyway to test that the Stratus is receiving weather?

I flew a 60 min trip at 7000 and still no joy. Foreflight showed 2 or 3 towers. So I think it should have shown something. The stratus was definitely connected to the Ipad. Is there Anyway to test that the Stratus is receiving weather?

Yes. Tap on the settings wheel at the top of the screen and then go to the Stratus status page. It will provide stats on what it receives.

Weather will not display on the map unless you've selected the desired weather products to overlay from the map overlay menu. Obviously, radar will not display if there are no returns.

JKG

Yes. Tap on the settings wheel at the top of the screen and then go to the Stratus status page. It will provide stats on what it receives.

Weather will not display on the map unless you've selected the desired weather products to overlay from the map overlay menu. Obviously, radar will not display if there are no returns.

JKG

And I believe the towers only broadcast weather data for a few hundred miles around the station.

Well, fly for an hour yesterday and repeated the set up. This time I got some weather returns. Not sure what I did differently. Having said that, Foreflight shows a "no radar returns" overlay when it doesn't have WIFI connections even when there are some ADS-B weather returns. It's frustrating because it obscures the map making it harder to read. It does this even when there are ADS-B weather objects shown. Anyone else with this issue? Ideas?

Also, there seem to only be a limited set of weather info. For instance, it only shows surface winds. Is there any way to get winds at different altitudes? No echo tops. Where can I go to get the full description of what's available to compare with what I have seen to make sure I have everything.

Rihgt now, I am not giving up my XM as it's way better for situational awareness.

It's frustrating because it obscures the map making it harder to read. It does this even when there are ADS-B weather objects shown. Anyone else with this issue? Ideas?

If it is frustrating then turn it off. After a bit, turn it back on. It takes time for the radar data to load, so ya gotta be patient.

ADS-B and XM both take time to load and have considerable lag. The data sources are the same but the processing is different.

Back