Help with status of airport

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Hey guys - I need some help.

E97 - Logan/Ute Dam was my next planned stop on my tour of New Mexico. Airnav has no info on it, and when I called flight service, they couldn't plot the airport either. I called Ute Dam State Park and the guy said that as far as he knew, it hadn't been closed, but the Airport Manager is not answering his phone.

I see no NOTAMs regarding the status of the airport, and it is still listed on the sectional. My AF/D shows it, but it is not current (will buy a new one before my next flight). Duats cannot find the airport either.

Nick,

The AOPA airport directory shows Ute Dam (E97) as a residential airpark, unattended, with no FBO on the field. The contact phone is 505/827-5511, which is probably the one you've been trying. It is not listed as a public airport.

Looks to me like you'd be perfectly all right to land there providing everything (the approach, runway, etc.) meet your minimums.

Have fun.

gibbons said:
Nick,

The AOPA airport directory shows Ute Dam (E97) as a residential airpark, unattended, with no FBO on the field. The contact phone is 505/827-5511, which is probably the one you've been trying. It is not listed as a public airport.

Looks to me like you'd be perfectly all right to land there providing everything (the approach, runway, etc.) meet your minimums.

Have fun.

huh. weird. My AFD shows it as a public use airport, dirt, poor condition. No mention of it being a residential airpark or private. Maybe I'll fly out to check it out, if its not suitable, I'll go somewhere else nearby.

SkyHog said:
huh. weird. My AFD shows it as a public use airport, dirt, poor condition. No mention of it being a residential airpark or private. Maybe I'll fly out to check it out, if its not suitable, I'll go somewhere else nearby.

Oops!!!! My bad. I said, "It is not listed as a public airport." Originally I typed "it is not listed as a private airport" but intended to change it to "it is listed as a public airport." I didn't get the sentence changed correctly.

I show it as a public airport.

AnywhereMap says
Ute Dam Logan NM:
"Leased by Village of Logan. For arpt access, through locked gate ctc village administrator at 505 487 2239.
Rwy 3 surface loose and soft."

I tried the number (Sun1pm) and no answer.

This one says the dirt surface is in poor condition... sounds like a good one to get an on-the-scene report first, Nick.

http://www.myafd.com/airport/E97

Larry Wallin 505-487-2616
Just called him about the airport and it has been closed, with a big X on the runway since Nov.

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
Larry Wallin 505-487-2616
Just called him about the airport and it has been closed, with a big X on the runway since Nov.

Oh great. Looks like I'm going somewhere else tomorrow. Now I have to rename my jouney too, unless I can find an airport that I missed.

I guess it's now called 56 in 365!

...someone needs to give them EdFred's number, right away!

gibbons said:
Did I miss something (again)?

Ed Fred is a hero to aviation. He got a closed airport reopened in Michigan.

SkyHog said:
Hey guys - I need some help.

E97 - Logan/Ute Dam was my next planned stop on my tour of New Mexico. Airnav has no info on it, and when I called flight service, they couldn't plot the airport either. I called Ute Dam State Park and the guy said that as far as he knew, it hadn't been closed, but the Airport Manager is not answering his phone.

I see no NOTAMs regarding the status of the airport, and it is still listed on the sectional. My AF/D shows it, but it is not current (will buy a new one before my next flight). Duats cannot find the airport either.

Well, why not just fly over there, if there isn't a big a$$ X on the field, land there. Plenty of little airports have no one and nothing, just a runway of whatever and a wind sock and sometimes no wind sock if no one has noticed it missing. 3 taps of the smoker diagonally to the runway will tell you which way the wind is going.:D

SkyHog said:
Ed Fred is a hero to aviation. He got a closed airport reopened in Michigan.

Ok, I've heard refrences to this before and I know nothing about it... Did Ed ever post the stroy here? Anyone know where I can go to read it.

I've met Ed and I didn't know he did this wonderful thing...

Missa

I use Flitesoft flight planning software and E97 isn't listed. I can bring up Ute, NM State park, but it shows no airport.

Back