Help with lighting requirement ?

MikeLima

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MikeLima
I think I'm missing something when I read the FARs...

For vfr night flying, what are the lighting requirements for plane certificated well before 1971?

The way I'm reading the regs, there must be position lights and a beacon system of some sort... but I think I must be missing something because I see older planes with position lights and no beacon.

ML

So long as you see them, no worries.

Or is this not an in-flight question?

It's a "what do I have to have to be in flight at night" question

Whelen Aviation’s website has an explanation of what’s required for what model year airplanes.

I think I'm missing something when I read the FARs...

For vfr night flying, what are the lighting requirements for plane certificated well before 1971?

The way I'm reading the regs, there must be position lights and a beacon system of some sort... but I think I must be missing something because I see older planes with position lights and no beacon.

ML
FAR 91.205 (c), (2)(3) and (4)

FAR 91.205 (c), (2)(3) and (4)

Yes. I'm aware of 91.205. As stated in my original post, I read the reg and it seems to require a beacon system... however, I've seen more than one older plane with position lights and no additional beacon system.

So, I was trying to find out if I am misinterpreting something or just missing something altogether.

ML

Many don't rock a beacon, no one really cares, just have navs and landing/taxi lights

If you do decide to go that route, Id get the nav light replacements with strobes in them, way cleaner and easier that mounting a soup can sized beacon

Last edited:
Yes. I'm aware of 91.205. As stated in my original post, I read the reg and it seems to require a beacon system... however, I've seen more than one older plane with position lights and no additional beacon system.

So, I was trying to find out if I am misinterpreting something or just missing something altogether.

ML
I think the answer lies in if the Beacon is part of the "approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system." It seems to me I've heard it called that before but I'm not sure. If it is, then the way I'm reading it is, yes, you do need it for flight at night. There is a cutoff date of August 11, 1971 that gives some specifics on what is required for the installation on planes certificated before that date. But it sure seems to say that all U.S.-registered civil aircraft must have the anticollision light.

Back