Help with LAX "Coastal Route" when departing Santa Monica

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
Hi all, I’m looking for some additional guidance on flying another VFR transition route over LAX.

As mentioned in another thread, I’m planning to fly the northbound “Mini Route”. I was originally thinking of going to Camarillo, but am now thinking I’ll land at Santa Monica airport instead.

After that, I want to depart Santa Monica and take the “Coastal Route” (reproduced below) back to John Wayne.

The inset below says that Coastal Route is flown at assigned altitudes of 5500 to 6500’ (I’m guessing that it’s 5500 when flying southeast and 6500 when flying northwest).

My question relates to getting to gaining sufficient altitude when departing SMO. In order to get to 5500, and be to the north of the LAX shelf if that matters, I would need to climb to the northwest and then turn back onto the Coastal Route.

The inset note says if departing Santa Monica airport, I should contact SoCal Tracon 134.9 for clearance, instead of SoCal App 127.2 which is normally used by aircraft to the north of the Bravo. What can I expect to hear from SoCal Tracon when departing SMO to transit through the Coastal Route? Will the Tracon allow me to climb to 5500 into the 50/100 Bravo shelf? While I wouldn't need to go as far as shown, and I could enter the Burbank charlie if I'm with SoCal, will they expect me to make the climb in a right hand spiral as sketched below?

Thanks!

LAX_Coastal_Route.jpg

SMO_Chart.jpg

SMO_Climb_to_5500.jpg

What you normally do for both the Mini Route, the LA SFR and the Coastal is that you ask for a climbing right 270 degree turn when you depart rwy 21 at SMO. If you widen the turn a little, it won't be a problem to get to 5500ft and it gives you time to set up and get the clearance you need.

I filed a VFR flight plan from San Diego to Santa Monica. I put "follow the coast 1 mile offshore and 500' AGL (as much as possible)" in my flight plan. I opened the flight plan and flew up the coast talking to the Class B ATC for LAX (went directly over LAX) and landed at Santa Monica. Santa Monica was so busy, we were just double clicking to acknowledge our takeoff clearance (the tower could see we were taking off, all that was needed I guess). It was solid small jets lined up. Me with my Husky, ha ha. From there I went Santa Barbara and tried to get the boys at Vandenburg to let me into their restricted airspace (no they won't). Complemented the Vangenburg guy on his very professional sounding radio voice and told him he could be the next Chris Craft, but no soap. Coulda taken an offshore route but went inshore instead. Flew over Michael Jackson's ferris wheel then back to the coast. Went all the way to Monterey and spent the night there. Great trip. Wonderful scenery.

Just file a flight plan and get flight following and use flight following especially over LA. Filing a flight plan seems to help. They think you've got your act together if you have one (ha ha, boy do you have THEM fooled) You will be fine.

Last edited:
I don't believe ATC controllers are aware of whether you've filed a VFR flight plan.

Sometimes they are. They have made comments about it to me. I think it helps. It makes them more likely to help me out. Just my take, can't really prove it. But in THAT flight I know he knew. He made a comment about my "1 mile off shore and 500 AGL" line in my flight plan. I'm sure they can find out if they want to.

Back