Help with home theater

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
When we bought our house there was already a home theater downstairs and the equipment stayed. The components are several years old but worked great until recently. The Lexicon MC1 processor started smoking the other night and died. I'm going to call Lexicon tomorrow to see about repairs, but I might need to find a new processor. The rest of the system includes a Runco projector and a Carver amp. The local AV store suggests upgrading to the new Lexicon whatever for $5K. I don't think so.

Any thoughts on what I should replace the Lexicon with if they can't fix it? I don't want to spend more than $1K or so and I don't want to do any research or learn anything about home video. I just want to watch movies again.

If you like the way the unit works, I'd look at getting it repaired. I have a great A/V electronics shop I have do my repair work (in Arlington, TX)... if you want to give them a call, they may be able to help you. You could ship your box to them. They are a DIAGNOSTIC and repair shop; they do component-level repair and don't just "throw parts" at the problem.

http://www.jotselectronics.com/

For $999 I'll be happy to provide consulting services for an equipment upgrade.

:)

What speakers do you have installed in your Theater? 7.1 or 5.1 system? Do you need HDMI switching? What is the user interface?

What speakers do you have installed in your Theater? 7.1 or 5.1 system? Do you need HDMI switching? What is the user interface?

5.1 w/ B&W speakers. I have no idea what HDMI switching is. User interface? You mean like the Phillips remote?

HDMI is one particular interface between the DVD and the display. The other one is the DVI.

HDMI will prevent an unauthorized copy of a DVD from playing. DVI will not- it's essentially a computer video connection, with a cable that can cost ~$120 for 16 feet. My setup is a DVI.

Last edited:
I suggest the Denon AVR-3808CI. Retails for $1599. I buy Denon at wholesale and can get you a deal. If interested send me a PM.

I bought a Denon 2805 on close out from Tweeter a couple years ago for my system. It works beautifully. It feeds B&W speakers on the front and rear.

Ditto on DVI connections. Decent quality in DVI and component cables are expensive enough. HDMI made no sense for the expense of a higher-up receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clue: Carver. The audio is Carver. We're not talking Pioneer here.

Clue: Carver. The audio is Carver. We're not talking Pioneer here.

I am a Lexicon dealer as well. I know the MC-1 is a preamp processor. Pull the amp. The Denon will out perform the MC-1.

I am a Lexicon dealer as well. I know the MC-1 is a preamp processor. Pull the amp. The Denon will out perform the MC-1.

Oh. I like my Onyko HTiB pretty well, but I was thinking this was higher end stuff. I just saw that the Onkyo receiver was selling for $200 at Amazon. It just has HDMI passthrough with no audio support on the HDMI but I don't see how that's such a big hassle. I even got mine to accept the SPDIF input from two TiVos on one input with the $5 optical splitter.

FYI - HDMI, just like DVI, and the broadcast standard SDI, is digital. Either it's there, or it isn't.

a 6' HDMI cable shouldn't cost more than $15. Anything much more than that is a scam.

For the most part the same thing goes for your audio cable. Shouldn't be low end junk, but shouldn't be expensive either. Keep in mind that all the studios that master your music and your movies/TV shows use very good, but relatively cheap cable (Belden 1800B and 1505A). It should be good enough for you too!

I don't want to do any research or learn anything about home video.

Better not read the rest of the thread, or you'll learn something. ;)

I used to do that stuff for my business. Emphasis on used to - I wouldn't have a clue what to recommend these days. :dunno: Wish I could help.

Better not read the rest of the thread, or you'll learn something. ;)

I do appreciate the feedback but I don't really want to learn anything about this stuff. It doesn't interest me and changes so fast I can't keep up anyway. :dunno:

I just want to find a comparable unit to replace the MC1 if it can't be fixed. Then I'll only need some popcorn, a glass of orange juice, and a good movie.

My wife has told me, in no uncertain terms, that sometime in the next 5 years I need to cough up a home theater system. Every time I start researching, I get completely freaked and run away. So many dizzying choices...

Cheers,

-Andrew

My wife has told me, in no uncertain terms, that sometime in the next 5 years I need to cough up a home theater system. Every time I start researching, I get completely freaked and run away. So many dizzying choices...

Cheers,

-Andrew

IT is really much easier now than it used to be. Video display, AV Reciever, a few speakers and some sort of high def source.

Waiting for the audiophiles to jump on me here, but it is pretty much plug and play for the average person.

Popcorn and orange juice? Gosh, Chip... you need to mellow out some!

:)

It sounds to me like you need to pay someone to do this for you. Asking for free advice is good, but unless you are willing to supplement that with your own research, you wont get far. Remember, you get what you pay for!

Actually, it's not very plug and play for an average person (home theater). Unless you are an expert or a serious amateur I would strongly suggest paying someone for the advice you seek... especially if you want quality.

There are many very good companies that specialize in listening to your needs, looking at your budget, and building the whole thing for you,.. which is what it sounds like you want.

DO NOT use a big national chain. You are probably much better served by a small local company that specializes in home theaters and home theater design.

Bring it along to Gaston's, Chip and we'll fix it there. It will be a group effort. A few of those adult beverages and each of us with our favorite plumbing tool we'll have it good as new in an hour! :D

It sounds to me like you need to pay someone to do this for you. Asking for free advice is good, but unless you are willing to supplement that with your own research, you wont get far. Remember, you get what you pay for!

Actually, it's not very plug and play for an average person (home theater). Unless you are an expert or a serious amateur I would strongly suggest paying someone for the advice you seek... especially if you want quality.

There are many very good companies that specialize in listening to your needs, looking at your budget, and building the whole thing for you,.. which is what it sounds like you want.

DO NOT use a big national chain. You are probably much better served by a small local company that specializes in home theaters and home theater design.

I dunno. I think Brent gave him some pretty straight forward advice. Sounds like he might have some idea what he's talking about, too. :)

Just buy one and plug it in, Chip. Then invite us over for a movie.

:cheers:

An update....

I sent the unit off to Pyramid Audio in Austin (Lexicon repair center) with the approval to do any repairs up to $450. I received the unit the other day and was charged just over $300. Works great. Thanks for all the input.

Back