Help with GPS Training

Triggerhappyjack

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TriggerHappyJack
Gentleman, the cessna I am flying for IFR training has a Garmin 155XL GPS and I am trying to find an interactive program that will help in learning the functions. The only time I can practice using it is while I am flying and thats not optimal. I have the manual but I learn better by using instead of reading. Any thoughts??

Don't think there is one for the 155XL. What you can do is have the flight school hook a power cart up to it and run the GPS on the ground in the simulator mode.

The 155XL cannot be run in simulator mode when it is connected to the normal aircraft power.

Once you pull the unit from the panel it has a 12V plug in the back for a 110VAC wall adapter. From that only, the unit can be run in "simulator" mode.

See page 110:
http://www.motorflugunion.com/home/data/uploads/flugzeugpark/oedsn_gps_garmin_155xl.pdf

This is also a good way to bring the unit home and program a route, from the comfort of your dinner table, as programming a long route is a very "knob turning" exercise.

Last edited:
Regrettably, due to the small number of units out here and thus a small potential market, there are no good training courses for the 155XL. Your best bet is to find an instructor familiar with it, pull it out of the panel, and sit down together with it in simulator mode. You might eventually be able to teach yourself how to use it without training, but only after a lot of time and frustration, and you'll still probably not learn all the things you might want to do with it.

Thanks to all for the comments. Does anyone know if any of the older flight simulators might have used the 155?

Back