Help with GoPro Workflow...

Armageddon Aviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Alon Smolarski
Hi,

I recently purchased a pair of GoPro cameras.

I know that you're supposed to convert the files from .mp4 to .avi for editing and then "re-compress" it to .mp4 in order to upload the videos to YouTube.

The "Cineform Studio" software provided by GoPro is rather basic and awkward to use...

I'd love to get some tips and advice ( any good freeware to handle the video files ? How should I proceed ? )

Thanks in advance

Alon

Actually, if you've got a mac iMovie is pretty good with these (hint: if you're hacking the 3D stuff, shut off iMovie's internal "optimize the stream for editing"). I found countless bugs in their 3d pared down software as well as the trial version of the $$$ software they sell. They're customer support is pretty good though.

Actually, if you've got a mac iMovie is pretty good with these (hint: if you're hacking the 3D stuff, shut off iMovie's internal "optimize the stream for editing"). I found countless bugs in their 3d pared down software as well as the trial version of the $$$ software they sell. They're customer support is pretty good though.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac ( though I plan to buy one next year ).

Any advice for PC users ?

Have you tried Microsoft Movie Maker? I *think* it comes installed by default on XP and Win7. I've used it to edit a few vids in the past.

If you're willing to spend a little money, Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro will handle them without conversion, and allow you to export in many pre-defined formats (iPad, iPhone, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)

I believe windows movie maker live on the windows 7 platform will handle the .mp4 just fine.

I did the .mp4 to .avi so I could use it in windows movie maker (not MM live) on my vista machine and it worked but the quality was lacking. In the future I am just going to stay late after work and edit stuff on our much faster windows 7 machines with MM live.

If you're willing to spend a little money, Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro will handle them without conversion, and allow you to export in many pre-defined formats (iPad, iPhone, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)

Spend a "little money" ? Adobe Premiere costs $ 800 last time I checked...that's not a "little money" for me :yikes:

MML will edit gopro footage raw. Original MM will if you download codecs(can be a pia.) Handbrake is a good free converter. Converting raw footage then editing most of it out is a time suck, I would do whatever you need to get an editor working with the raw footage then convert the finished product if need be. Movie maker is fine for most needs, if you want to get fancy vegas and such offer 30 day free downloads, if you are new to this I'd just use MM or preferably MML. Remember shorter is better, cut and cut again and when you can't cut anymore cut a whole lot more.

Welcome to video! ;)

video is cheap now, compared to recent history. I use free software to edit videos from a free gopro(gift from a friend in the action sports industry):yesnod:
Compared to what I spent on the basic freefall photography stuff in the early 90's gopros are disposable.:D

MML will edit gopro footage raw. Original MM will if you download codecs(can be a pia.) Handbrake is a good free converter. Converting raw footage then editing most of it out is a time suck, I would do whatever you need to get an editor working with the raw footage then convert the finished product if need be. Movie maker is fine for most needs, if you want to get fancy vegas and such offer 30 day free downloads, if you are new to this I'd just use MM or preferably MML. Remember shorter is better, cut and cut again and when you can't cut anymore cut a whole lot more.

Thanks for the useful advice :)

I know that MM stands for Windows Movie Maker but what is MML ? :dunno:

'tried them all and have settled on PowerDirector, from Cyberlink. $75-80. With any good editor you shouldn't have to do any converting. PowerDirector appears to be the Editor's Choice with many mags, and gets good user reviews. You'll note that user reviews for video editors are all-over-the-road... that's because video editing can be a PITA. I suggest you look at tutorial videos on YouTube, no matter what product you end up using.
ps... the free ones will work very nicely for basic stuff. XP's built-in Movie Maker is used by millions. The free ones may not support all the file formats out there. It's one little dirty secret about video: too many formats, with little standardization.

Last edited:
Thanks - I just checked, it only works with Windows 7...I'm still working with XP....

Time to upgrade I guess...

Heh heh. I repeat...

Welcome to video!

(Yeah it's cheaper now than ever, but you'll soon own multiple external 1TB drives or larger... Hahaha.)

Back