Help with approach

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I have done very few GPS approaches, and none with the Garmin 430. I'm flying Friday, and if there's a chance to get into the Saratoga, this approach is the order of business for the day. I will be getting a preflight briefing from my double I, of course, but would anyone be willing to give me a pre-pre?

http://download.aopa.org/iap/20051222/NE-3/ged_rnav_gps_rwy_04.pdf

For reference, equipment includes HSI, FD, AP, ADF (haha), and DME.

wangmyers said:
I have done very few GPS approaches, and none with the Garmin 430. I'm flying Friday, and if there's a chance to get into the Saratoga, this approach is the order of business for the day. I will be getting a preflight briefing from my double I, of course, but would anyone be willing to give me a pre-pre?

http://download.aopa.org/iap/20051222/NE-3/ged_rnav_gps_rwy_04.pdf

For reference, equipment includes HSI, FD, AP, ADF (haha), and DME.
Have you read the GNS-430 manual (especially the parts about flight plans and approaches) a couple times? Recently? Have you been playing with the nice simulator (downloadable from their website)?

If you've done all that, then I suggest you fly at least a couple GPS approaches with your CFI (preferreably in VMC) before launching on your own with the intent of doing that. If OTOH all you want to do is fly the GPS enroute and make a non-GPS approach then just familiarize yourself with the VOR/LOC/GS and COM sections which are pretty straightforward.

As to the specific 04 GPS approach, first keep in mind that the winds might favor something else so be prepared for other approaches (if there are any) to different runways. Second, this approach follows the standard 'T' GPS approach layout with three IAF's. Approaching from the SW (135-315 hdg) you can go directly to TOWHE and acquire the final approach course without a PT. From the other direction you would go to ESHIW or UWAFY (whichever is closer) and follow the appropriate initial segment to TOWHE where you make a right turn to the final. Watch out for the fact that you don't go below 2000 until you get to the FAF 6 nm past TOWHE. Be sure to activate all the approach lights (PCL) just before the FAF and maybe a second time in case the first attempt doesn't catch. It looks like there's nothing but a Vasi, Medium Intensity (that's actually pretty bright) runway lights and a REIL (bright white strobes on each side of the runway near the approach end) for approach lights which is typical for GPS approaches IME. Without the horizon bars of the better ILS's you can have a lot of difficulty establishing a visual horizon when the vis is poor especially in snow and that means staying on the gauges for a while after you see the runway lights.

Notice that the LPV and LNAV/VNAV visibility mins are higher than the LNAV which usually means that you will be too far from the runway end to see it at the LNAV mins if you follow the normal glidepath. IOW consider the LNAV visibility mins to be what you actually need and don't get tempted to land if the runway shows up when you are a lot closer.

I'm not sure what your actual questions are, but I hope I've answered some.

Last edited:
Thanks, Lance! That was very thorough. This will be a flight with my CFII. If we are in the Zlin, I will be doing PP, but if I get the Saratoga, we'll practice GPS approaches, since I have very little experience there. It should be good VFR that day, but I really appreciate the advice about the PCL, also.

wangmyers said:

Download the Garmin simulator and manuals from their web site and play with them.

Basically, if you just want to do practice approaches into your departure airport, press the Direct-to button and use the inner knob to select letters and the outer knob to move the cursor. Hit "Enter" when you're done entering the identifier.

Next, press "PROC" and use the inner knob to choose the approach you want to fly, then press Enter. Next, choose the transition you want, or vectors-to-final if that's what you'll be getting. (I'd suggest at least one vectored approach and one full procedure.)

Note that the 430 has some nice features even for non-GPS approaches. If you select an ILS approach, it'll guide you to the IAF and show a purple line (it'll also warn you that it's for monitoring purposes only) but it'll also automagically tune the localizer frequency. G530 and G1000 will even identify navaids that you have tuned - Very cool. So, you might want to try that as well.

Then, take a longer cross-country flight with a safety pilot so that you can have a chance to just play around with the G430. This is, for me, the best way to truly learn the knobology. I learned a ton about the 430 in our 182 on my way to Gaston's and Houston this past summer, and I got to learn quite a bit about the G1000 in a 182 I rented for 6.3 hours yesterday to go to Key West. :D (Post about that will be in Hangar Talk as soon as it's ready.)

Now, go download that simulator, punch in your home airport, and load an approach. That'll give you a good start.

Enjoy the flight!

Back