Help with a Taylorcraft

HAPPYDAN

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HAPPYDAN
I may be interested in buying a 1946 Taylorcraft BC12D. Problem is, I don't have a license (to fly), although I do have considerable experience flying a Skycatcher. I don't know anything about this plane, but I have test flown a J3 Cub. It's located about 50 miles away, here in western Washington. Does anyone know of a CFI in the Puget Sound area that could advise me on the purchase, assist in bringing it home, and possibly provide the needed training? Or am I asking too much? Appropriate compensation is of course understood.

I may be interested in buying a 1946 Taylorcraft BC12D. Problem is, I don't have a license (to fly), although I do have considerable experience flying a Skycatcher. I don't know anything about this plane, but I have test flown a J3 Cub. It's located about 50 miles away, here in western Washington. Does anyone know of a CFI in the Puget Sound area that could advise me on the purchase, assist in bringing it home, and possibly provide the needed training? Or am I asking too much? Appropriate compensation is of course understood.
PM Brien23, he is a well known rag and tube lover owns a J-3 and teaches tail wheel.

Dan, does this mean you're planning to resume training and finish it off?

Dan, does this mean you're planning to resume training and finish it off?
I've never actually given up, just frustrated with so many roadblocks. I would like to find someone familiar with this type of A/C that could assist with the pre-buy, ferry it to my location (about 50 miles), and provide training and guidance to get this done. This is a possible route I haven't tried, but, with luck, might work out.

Thanks to all who replied, but the plane was sold before I could hatch my plan. Snooze and loose.

The lesson here is simply this:

know what you want, know what it looks like, know the value of it, have the money ready, and when you see a good deal jump on it buy it sight unseen. Or some else will!

This one was in Kelso. The photos looked good, but I wanted someone familiar with that model that would know the "traps" to look for. I have heard horror stories of delaminating wing spars, corroded landing gear mounts, etc. While the price was in my range, and only 50 miles away, I didn't want to get stuck with a hangar queen.

Back