Help with 206 purchase

Marsh_R

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marsh_R
Hey all,

I'm looking at a fairly new 206. It's 10 years old, but only has ~400 hrs on the engine and the airframe.

The plane was based in S. FL for quite some time, but hasn't been based there since 2012 and there is a log book entry from 2012 that reads:

"Corrosion proof interior surfaces on wings and fuselage with 'Corrosion X', clean and treat all corrosion spots on fuselage, wings, and flap tracks, replace corroded hardware as necessary and clean wash and wax aircraft."

What do you think? Should I even waste my time with a pre-buy given the corrosion history or is it a case of once it's fixed, it should be fine?

I have bought several planes in Florida. That's a pretty common entry in Florida. Have seen lots of planes with no corrosion. Wouldn't worry about it. Prebuy will tell you everything needed to know.

Prebuy will tell you everything needed to know.
Yeah Right :) :)
A pre-buy will tell you what you want to know, but how do you know, what you need to know?

Investigate using SavvyMX.com's pre-buy service

A quick look under some panels can give you an idea if you want to spend money on a pre buy.

I would assume a 400hr 2006 ish model 206 was hangared and maintained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all,

I'm looking at a fairly new 206. It's 10 years old, but only has ~400 hrs on the engine and the airframe.

The plane was based in S. FL for quite some time, but hasn't been based there since 2012 and there is a log book entry from 2012 that reads:

"Corrosion proof interior surfaces on wings and fuselage with 'Corrosion X', clean and treat all corrosion spots on fuselage, wings, and flap tracks, replace corroded hardware as necessary and clean wash and wax aircraft."

What do you think? Should I even waste my time with a pre-buy given the corrosion history or is it a case of once it's fixed, it should be fine?

Corrosion proofed? Not unless it was a factory seaplane, in which case it would not have had corrosion X sprayed in the first plane.

You could buy a lot more 206.

Find yourself a factory seaplane U206 (with REAL corrosion proofing and reinforcements) doesn't have to be on floats, with a low time IO550 conversion, black Mac prop, VGs and extensions.

WAAAAAAY more 206 then a chitty newer one.

Corrosion proofed? Not unless it was a factory seaplane, in which case it would not have had corrosion X sprayed in the first plane.

You could buy a lot more 206.

Find yourself a factory seaplane U206 (with REAL corrosion proofing and reinforcements) doesn't have to be on floats, with a low time IO550 conversion, black Mac prop, VGs and extensions.

WAAAAAAY more 206 then a chitty newer one.

Wait a minute. I love my chitty new one

Apologies, I should have phrased that nicer.

Still, the older 550ed factory seaplane U206 with extensions really is the top dog in the world of the 206.

I also prefer the chitty new ones. Funny how some people who can't afford the new ones feel the need to put them down. Old ones are great too. They all have their good points and bad points.

I also prefer the chitty new ones. Funny how some people who can't afford the new ones feel the need to put them down. Old ones are great too. They all have their good points and bad points.

Not really a matter of afford, just bang for the buck.

What does a new 206 empty weight vs gross?

U206 with extension, empty vs gross

What's 200k get you in a new 206
What's 200k get you in a U206

Also this corrosion talk, not really as much of a factor in a older factory seaplane option aircraft. My 185 spends and has spent much of its life in amphibs, factory seaplane kit, you can pull inspection panels left and right and all you'll see is that nice factory green.

That's like saying that I got a 185 because I could afford a newer 182.

If a G1000 and having a "newer" plane are important, go for a new one.
If you're looking for a 206 to haul loads and pax in the backcountry, U206 all the way.

To each their own.

Last edited:
Back