Help - View Threads

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
Is there a way to view the initial post and all currently un read posts in a thread like the AOPA Webboard?

Getting used to the new presentation and navigation is going to be hard.

Thanks,

Len

Len,

This is one area, I will admit, where the forum software in use there beats vBulletin *HANDS DOWN*. One of my only complaints about vBulletin (and many other packages out there) is how it handles the marking of threads read, and the displaying of new posts.

Unfortunately, without getting too technical, the best answer I can give you is "Not at this time". However I will add this to my "hack wishlist" and see if I can find a modification to implement something similar.

In the mean time, I will bring up another feature which you may also miss, being used to the Threaded view of the AOPA site. You can, at the top of any thread, change the Display Mode to a threaded or hybrid mode. This will put the 'thread tree' for the post at the top of the screen and the bocy of the messages in the lower section. Its not quite like the other software, and in fact I think it's rather badly laid out and will work to improve that layout at a future date, but it is at least a way to easily tell what replies came from whom, and as long as you know when you were here last, you can see the list of replies and when they were posted and pick and choose.

Yeah, I know - not what you were hoping to hear... :)

CH

Greebo said:
Yeah, I know - not what you were hoping to hear... :)

CH

Chuck,

I'll try the various views again....not sure which I like the best from what is available.

Thanks,

Len

Help - Mark Read

My method so far in reading posts is to log in...go to New Posts where I scan topic titles.

Is there a more efficient way to read new posts?

As far as I can tell the only way to "Mark Read" is to log out and log back in.

Is there a way to, from the New Posts listing, mark a thread as being read?

Thanks,

Len

Last edited:
Re: Help - Mark Read

Len Lanetti said:
My method so far in reading posts is to log in...go to New Posts where I scan topic titles.

Thanks,

Len
Down at the bottom of the Main forum page (listing ALL forums) is a Mark Forums Read link. That will mark ALL of the forums as Read for you. No need to log out.

Chuck has been making a lot of changes as we find different things that we'd like to try or need to be changed. Bear with us while we get through some stuff like this. :)

Re: Mark Forums Read

The Quick Links drop down menu also has a "Mark Forums Read" option to avoid having to go back to the main page.

My personal strategy has been to click on New Posts, read everything until it's no longer bold, indicating there are no new posts in that thread, then hit the Mark Forums Read option in the Quick Links. Seems to be working so far.

Re: Help - Mark Read

Len Lanetti said:

Thanks,

Len

After I have read everything in the thread I just click on the link at the
top that takes me back to the topic list. It then shows the closed envelope
instead of the open envelope.

i.e. After you read this message click on the "Forum Support" link in the
header at the top of this page.

greg

How come I can't bookmark "New Posts"?
If I do, it gives a type of in-house error message.

What page do most people set as their first view page?
Thanks

Let'sgoflying! said:
How come I can't bookmark "New Posts"?
If I do, it gives a type of in-house error message.

What page do most people set as their first view page?
Thanks

I just use www.pilotsofamerica.com. Then I click on the forums
button to see which ones have new messages.

greg

Back