Help VFR approach to WHITEMAN KWHP.

amoel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
amoel
Hello guys, anyone familiar with KWHP WHITEMAN airport? How do you recommend approaching the airport VFR... there's so much conflicting airspace around, and I wouldn't want to fly the full IFR approach on a clear morning this Friday...

Thanks!

Yes. I would either do the newhall pass (VPNEW) and San Fernando Reservoir (VPLSF) or the santa susana pass (VPLSS) and san fernando reservoir if approaching from the north / northwest (you haven't told us what direction you're coming from). Stay under 3000 and you're fine. Alternatively, if coming from the east, go via the santa anita race track and the tujunga wash and foothill (VPLTW) (again, under 3K). Coming from the South is a hassle and you will have to use an SFRA transition, so you should consult a chart if that's the case.

Alternatively, just speak to Socal. As long as you're speaking to them you can transition through the Burbank Class C so you can be above 3K. Not a big deal. Just stay out of the Bravo. Look at the Los Angeles Fly Chart for guidance.

After reading about the experiences you SoCal pilots have and deal with, it makes me think that when you come out to the midwest, dealing with our airspace is a nice, lazy, total yawn of a flight.

Thanks Cabot... Yes I'm coming from the south, from San Diego.

So even if speaking with SoCal, after the SFRA, how would you go and what altitudes?

Thanks again...

After reading about the experiences you SoCal pilots have and deal with, it makes me think that when you come out to the midwest, dealing with our airspace is a nice, lazy, total yawn of a flight.

Yes. I suppose it would be like a VERY long pause in the middle of a rock and roll song. Disturbing and generally unwanted, but you need to press on to get back to the music, so you drum your fingers and wait for better times ahead. :D

For OP -- after popping out of SFRA at 4500, grab SoCal on 134.9, stay at 4500, and just fly direct to WHP. Understand that you need them to answer with your callsign before the sepulveda pass (charted), or you'll bust BUR C without any real good options other than to circle over SMO. (you have class B above at 5000) If I'm in a fast ship and it's a saturated frequency, I'll actually pull power back to make "room" for the comms to occur.

SoCal is great in the valley area, they'll push you around where you need to go. If your first callup is "Bugsmash 12345, over santa monica 4500, flight following whiteman, unfamiliar", they'll put on the kid gloves and handle you a bit more gently. :)

I am local and always do SFRA for my LAX transitions. It's painless, no anxiety about handoffs, and fewer things to think about. The wall of Class C is the only concern. If you're under 140kts (like the SFRA says you should be), there is a good 3 minutes or so to get on freq, get an answer, and thus, be granted class C transit. It's those days when I tune 134.9 and the controller is in full auctioneer mode that I get anxious about getting my $0.02 in, and I'll either slow the ship down or turn west towards topanga and try to sneak in from the side.

Once you've done it, it's cake.

$0.02

- Mike

Thanks Mike! Now let's say I go IFR using the SANN15 tec, would they vector me for a visual if it's clear? Or will they always want to use the full approach procedure?

Other item, if vfr, after the SFRA at 4500, where would you start your descent? You have VNY to worry about too... And would you enter left crosswind?

Why the SFRA, rather than using the Coastal Route? You can easily overfly SMO that way without entering their airspace. Seems like more options available, even if it is a bit higher.

As soon as you're north of the SFRA, call the KSMO tower and get cleared through its airspace. Descend to below 3000' before the Getty Center to stay out of KBUR's Class C. Then get a frequency change to the KVNY tower and ask for clearance to KWHP. Both calls go quickly and smoothly. Fly north through KVNY's airspace to the 118 freeway, then turn east over the 118 and follow it to KWHP. Call the KWHP tower as soon as you get a frequency change from KVNY. The KWHP tower will tell you to report over the 5 freeway, and you'll be cleared to land as soon as you report. (KSMO's airspace tops out at 2700', so if you can get below 3000' and stay above 2700', you can skip the call to KSMO.)

Last edited:
Back