Help us choose a color for a Dakota?

So, we went with the blue ... and she's getting ready to come home today or tomorrow.

2018-08-21 13.58.48.jpeg 2018-08-21 14.00.00.jpeg 2018-08-21 13.59.31.jpeg

If ya want it to look like a "real" Dakota, copy this:

images

Wow ... longest paint job ever, I think ...

One unavoidable unfortunate incident after another after another. But, after 9 long months (to the day) our Dakota is back on line.

Strip and repaint ... small shop where the owner/primary got seriously sick and hospitalized, life-threatening kind of sick. Fortunately he recovered and finished the paint. His one employee hosed him over pretty bad while he was out of commission.

We had an annual and an engine change scheduled for this fall, or when the plane arrived back from the paint shop, whichever came first. So, the engine, ordered and delivered in what we thought was "just the right time" sat, and sat, and sat ... and we finally got it installed once we got the plane back to our hangars.

Then our prop overhaul became a prop replacement, with specs out of tolerance and not repairable. We ordered and installed a 3 blade (pictures in another thread - shame on me for starting a new one ... again!)

While waiting for the prop, we towed it to the avionics shop for a G-5 install. Oh, and did an engine change on our Saratoga in between all the stop/starts on the Dakota... never a dull moment!

Got everything all back together and flew the engine break-in, with 2 cylinders stubbornly maintaining higher than we like CHTs ... until the final 10th hour of break-in, where they finally settled down.

Sharing the comments from the last engine break-in flight following:

"... logged another 2 Dakota hours this afternoon. Looks like it is finally back on line.

The oil temperature dropped back to very near normal, and I was able to gradually lean the mixture back to near “best power” without sending the CHT’s over 400° Greg says that using regular oil will produce even lower temps. The break-in oil has been drained. We’re back to our regular oil.

The aircraft is more nose heavy than before. A little extra nose up trim for landing will help.

And enjoy this: Impressive acceleration for take-off, noticeably better climb away. Level flight: Set the TAS indicator for the temp and altitude, set up best power (EGT’s around 350°) hold level flight, and check for a TAS of 150 KTS."

Red, because it looks faster.

Not sure I'd do the swooshy paint line thing, seems kinda like the airplane version of those tribal tats everyone was getting back in the late 90s early 2000s.

You feel regret over your tramp stamp now? You could always get it overlaid with meaningless chinese characters... :)

I already tried that :(

Just buy your shirts from Duluth Trading Company. They all have really long tails to help eliminate Plumber’s Crack. Should keep the ink under shade.

Airplanes look good with dark contrasting with light colors. Too much pale/light tones usually look less striking while parked, and are more easily swallowed up by the sky.

Back