Help understanding Cirrus SR22

Yeah, the cirrus has the OPTION of carrying 25 gallons more fuel than the stock A36 if I believe. The old rubric goes if you can fill the seats and the tanks at the same time the tanks are not large enough.

In my Navion I have four tanks (actually five) and I can fill some and carry four, or I can fill them all and carry two.

Not true unless things have changed the fiberglass planes had a huge penalty in the insurance department more than 6 seats or 8 seats.

I agree SR22 brand offers more technology out of the game for the price and I have considered buying a used one for $150k that has 80k worth of avionics and autopilot.

Do you have to repack the chute to keep airworthiness?

Couple of factors that haven't been mentioned.

The A36 is a 6 seat retract, that means much more insurance and pilot qualifications. Cirrus keeps the buyer pool large by making it a four seat (now 5 ish) fixed gear.

The Bo is also a much more expensive airplane ~$700K, NA, no deice, no chute. Cirrus is $725 with a turbo, FIKI, and a chute. Take the Bo add FIKI TKS, TN, and tip tanks and you are pushing $900K (plus you lose the FIKI cert with the other mods.).

The Cirrus offers more safety, useful load, better avionics, more capability, more speed, less insurance, more warranty, all straight from the factory at ~20% less with similar equipment. The only compromise is less seating.

Game, set, match. That's why Beech is only selling around 20 units a year.

Not true unless things have changed the fiberglass planes had a huge penalty in the insurance department more than 6 seats or 8 seats.

I agree SR22 brand offers more technology out of the game for the price and I have considered buying a used one for $150k that has 80k worth of avionics and autopilot.

Do you have to repack the chute to keep airworthiness?

I'm no insurance agent, but mine says the biggest concern with any aircraft insurance is passenger liability and 6 seats offers much more opportunity.

Yes, you have to keep the chute packed.

I'm no insurance agent, but mine says the biggest concern with any aircraft insurance is passenger liability and 6 seats offers much more opportunity.

Kinda hard to fly around with that thing dragging ya in the wind:rofl:

5 or 6 years ago when I was looking and considering SR22 or SR20 the quotes for used $150k planes were about $5k when I asked what the heck? They said that it was due to we do not know how much these plastic planes are going to cost to fix. Does a minor crash cause a total?

At the same time a $150k A36 used was about $2600, a Cherokee 6 was lower.

Maybe that is different now that they have experience fixing plastic planes....I do not know.

My boss purchased an SR22 last September and insured for $200k. He had ~300 hrs, all in 172 and no IR. His cost with no extra requirements (transition, recurring, etc.) was ~$3100.

I still think the trump card to *whine, sniff* "but it only has one engine, and if it stalls we'll all die!" is "don't worry, little lady, the plane comes complete with a parachute. In the unlikely event of an engine failure, simply pull the clearly-marked handle and breathe normally as we descend to a near-normal landing."

You can talk about fine leather seats 'til the cows come home, but the safety net hole-card is the seller.

Yep, I now know 7 Cirrus owners who could have bought whatever they wanted $$$ wise, they chose the Cirrus because of the chute, I can't say as I blame them.

I don't see how a single owner could say no if they were available.

Yep, I now know 7 Cirrus owners who could have bought whatever they wanted $$$ wise, they chose the Cirrus because of the chute, I can't say as I blame them.

We have clients who wouldn't dream of getting into a single,

Until we got our first SR22.

Now they don't have to pay Navajo rates for one or two guys so they fly more, so we make more money, they make more money and everyone is happy.

Heck they still take the Navajo almost as much, but only when they need more than three passenger seats.

I sold my Grumman Tiger and am buying an A36 Bonanza. During the search I took a hard look at the Cirrus SR22 due, primarily, by how much my wife liked one we saw on a recent trip.
Clearly I'm missing something as they've sold so many, any nicer airport I visit has 2-3 on the ramp, etc. What am I overlooking?

Comfort.

Or lack thereof. Individual preference and all that. I found them to be very uncomfortable and awkward, as did the pilot (he quickly sold it) and the other pax.

5 or 6 years ago when I was looking and considering SR22 or SR20 the quotes for used $150k planes were about $5k when I asked what the heck? They said that it was due to we do not know how much these plastic planes are going to cost to fix. Does a minor crash cause a total?

At the same time a $150k A36 used was about $2600, a Cherokee 6 was lower.

Maybe that is different now that they have experience fixing plastic planes....I do not know.

I would bet not. My FBO's Cirrus was run through a fence just over a year ago. We just now got the engineering-approved leading edge parts required to fix it...and they're not cheap. A Bo would have been reskinned and flying nine months ago.

The chute is a tremendous safety feature. To date, there have been 37 successful emergency chute deployments, with 77 survivors, in Cirri.

It's not strictly unique to Cirrus. You can add a similar chute to a Cessna 182, which is a generally comparable plane.

Back