Help setting up flight sim

wby0nder

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Michael
I'm looking for guidance/assistance in configuring a basic home computer flight simulator for IFR practice. I don't care about hi res graphics or realism as much as being able to build a panel that matches the panel in my 66 M20E.

I'm thinking of the Carenado M20J running in MS FS2004 for example. I have a CH yoke, Saitek pedals, and a laptop with discrete graphics card.

I'm confused about how to go about custom building an instrument panel to more or less match the layout and functionality of my real one (standard 6 pack, G430, Stec 30...) I gather that it can be done but I'm not sure which software would be the easiest to work with or compatible with which flight sim. Trying to figure it out is starting to make my brain hurt.

I don't really want to spend a ton of money. All I really need to do is practice approaches but, if it's not too difficult to set up something with interactive ATC and linked to Foreflight I might be willing to shell out a few more real dollars.

I have searched forums and read various posts but haven't quite been able to stitch together the bits and pieces of info into a coherent guide. Hopefully someone who has already done what I'm trying to do will read this, and reply.

Thanks in advance

What are your plans as for HW?
Are you planning on buying radio, A/P and switch panels? They are not cheap but free your hand from the mouse so you don't need to chase the arrow and click on the screen to tune a frequency or put the gear down. I assume you have a throttle quadrant that came with the yoke?
As for the 430, that won't be easy to reproduce in HW, you might be stuck with clicking on the screen again.

If you can connect to Vatsim, you will be able to take advantage of free ATC services almost 24/7. But beware of two limitations: you will have to fly where the controllers are and you will get what you pay for (some of them are not exactly good while others are just spectacular). Or you can pay for PilotEdge simulated ATC. Though again, you will be limited to a very small geographical area (California, IIRC).

HW=?

I don't mind having to click on the screen with the mouse since this is mainly a procedures trainer. I can always hit pause and take care of that stuff.

HW = HardWare. As opposed to SW which stands for SoftWare.

Reaching for a mouse in a simulated "cockpit" is a pet peeve of mine. Either I am simulating an airplane or I am working on a PC. I prefer no mouse or kb interactions in simming. Having to look around the cockpit on screen and click on flaps or gear handles when crossing the FAF is not easy, while trying to maintain the LOC needle centered and starting down on the GS. But then again, I am picky. ;)

Btw, there is no pause in MP in the sim. Once you are spawned and flying, the sim won't let you pause. Oh wait, there's an exception on Vatsim where you are actually in SP mode so you might be able to pause. (but you need to obtain a permission from the controller) We're talking FS9, FSX and P3D here but different sims have different rules (I cannot speak for XP or MSF).

I can recommend the carenedo Mooney. I just bought it for x-plane, and I own a real M20J. I have the eclipse yoke and pedals. It's pretty good. The only thing so far that isn't real at all is the trim. There's no force feedback, so you can't trim the pressure off. As you probably know, trim is huge (yuuuuuge) for IFR flying, and having to constantly chase trim and correct altitude is annoying. But I've found it to be very helpful for IFR training.

I can recommend the carenedo Mooney. I just bought it for x-plane, and I own a real M20J. I have the eclipse yoke and pedals. It's pretty good. The only thing so far that isn't real at all is the trim. There's no force feedback, so you can't trim the pressure off. As you probably know, trim is huge (yuuuuuge) for IFR flying, and having to constantly chase trim and correct altitude is annoying. But I've found it to be very helpful for IFR training.
Any way to customize the panel?

Any way to customize the panel?

I can only speak to FSX and X-Plane.

X-Plane actually has a program included with it (Planemaker) that allows you to modify panels, and many other parts of an airplane. Included with it are many types and makes of instruments that you can plug and play. Do a search for 'x-plane planemaker' on youtube. Lots of good vids out there.

FSX takes a bit more work to modify panels, as you actually go in amongst the files and change settings with a word processor. More fussy but still easy enough. I'm not a rocket scientist, and I managed to take the Carenado R182's original 1980's Cessna production radios to match our real-life R182...kfc200 a/p f/d feeding an HSI, remote compass, GNS530 (haven't paid to match the GTN650 we actually have in the airplane by one in the sim yet), and other goodies. It can be done.

I don't think you'll be happy using a laptop to practice procedures...too many limitations, prime among them the graphics card. I find the sim very useful in two areas....learning new-to-me hardware (avionics) and instrument procedures.

As always, your mileage may vary!

Jim

PS- On the no feedback trim issue, I find it works well to get to cruise, let go of the yoke, and trim until the airplane stays level. In the airplanes I've been 'flying' the trim is fast enough the procedure works.

Last edited:
I second the panel reconfiguration in FSX. You can do it yourself in a simple text editor (the files are formatted as INI files). Or you can purchase a panel editor with GUI where it is more of drag-n-drop work.
I have made a few panels (the hard way) in recent past, did not take long.
Word of advice: before you dump money on any add-on aircraft (from Carenado, Alabeo etc), make sure they fit your needs and that you can modify the panel if needed. Some aftermarket A/C come with a solid panel that cannot be modified.

Back