Help. Posts since last logon

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
Where do I go to see all the posts since my last logon? Between the home page, Recent Activity and New posts there seems to be a lot of duplication, and not one contains all new posts.

Any helpful advice?

Let'sgoflying! said:
I mentioned this several times Greg and my solution is to go to see the ones at the bottom of the homepage http://www.pilotsofamerica.com then go to New Posts, then over to Recent Activity in order to catch it all.

That's exactly what I am doing but there ought to be a better way.

If you consistenly mark the forums read as you finish reading them, one at a time, using the New Posts feature, one forum at a time, then you should not miss any threads that have had new posts.

I read the messages on New Posts by using the back button each message.
Then I refresh the page.
Then I Quick Links > Mark all read.
Then I go to Recent Activity and there are a bunch of new ones I'd never seen before, like this one.
It works, just a few extra key taps.

Kinda like the PM deletion. About 5 key strokes to get rid of them, why not just one?

I use Firefox as my browser. I log on, click new posts. Then go down the list and open each new thread in a new tab. Read the thread, close the tab. Continue until only the first tab remains which, of course, still has the threads in bold. I hit "new posts" and the threads without new posts go "unbold." I continue until a forum is all unbold and then hit "mark forum read." Continue until I have read them all.

Carol said:
I use Firefox as my browser. I log on, click new posts. Then go down the list and open each new thread in a new tab. Read the thread, close the tab. Continue until only the first tab remains which, of course, still has the threads in bold. I hit "new posts" and the threads without new posts go "unbold." I continue until a forum is all unbold and then hit "mark forum read." Continue until I have read them all.

Carol, sometime after you do all that, just for curiosity.. go to Recent Activity.
There is usually a couple of threads there that you will not have seen, going on in the background or 'hidden'.

In fact, I just tried it at 8:32am.. After refreshing, or clicking New Posts again, I immediately went to RA and there were three threads previously unseen this am, with posts by Brian. No way could he have posted three things in 5 seconds, even he isn't that good.

I'm kinna frustrated with this also. It's really difficult sometimes to follow a thread without mannually going through each topic. Even the order of posting isn't always cronological. I have an old post I can't get rid of at the top of one topic: been there for weeks. Hope this can be simlified. Sometimes I just don't have the time to go through each topic and review each line for new posts.

Best,

Dave

Let'sgoflying! said:
Carol, sometime after you do all that, just for curiosity.. go to Recent Activity.
There is usually a couple of threads there that you will not have seen, going on in the background or 'hidden'.

I will add that to my "click" routine. Thanks.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I read the messages on New Posts by using the back button each message.
Then I refresh the page.
This may be the problem. When you go Back to a previous search, you end up getting a cached search result. When you refresh the page, you get the same search result again - that is the search result as it was when you did the very first search - unchanging. If you watch the URL when you go back and refresh, you can see that its assigning a Search ID - refresh and its the same search ID. Whereas if you click New Posts or Recent Activity, you get a new search ID - new search id, new results. Same search ID, same results.

Let me say that again with emphasis so that it doesn't get missed:
DON'T REFRESH NEW POST OR RECENT ACTIVITY SEARCHES! You wont get any new results if you do, and will miss posts.

So you're reading the results of search a over and over again, and all the new posts created since search a ran don't show up. Then you mark all read and they'll NEVER show up on New Posts.

Instead, just hit New Posts each time you want to go back to the list. When a single forum no longer has anything new, mark that SINGLE forum read using the links on the New Posts result page.

Then I Quick Links > Mark all read.
Then I go to Recent Activity and there are a bunch of new ones I'd never seen before, like this one.
You would see them in New Posts if you clicked New Posts again instead of hitting Back and then Refresh - 1 click, not two.

Last edited:
Carol said:

As far as I am concerned FireFox rules and MSIE drools. I wish there weren't so many MSIE dependent business related sites that I am required to use.

Jean

Greebo said:
just hit New Posts each time you want to go back to the list. When a single forum no longer has anything new, mark that SINGLE forum read using the links on the New Posts result page.
Now that I understand it, this method works for me. :yes:

Maverick said:
As far as I am concerned FireFox rules and MSIE drools.
I use Firefox too. It seems much faster than MSIE. The only site I've had problems with using Firefox is the company e-mail but I think that's because they use Outlook on the Web or whatever it's called, a MS product.

It still doesn't solve all the problems.

If you bring up New Posts, and you are unable to look at all of them before leaving the forum (or some sysop brings the forum down and logs you off :) ), when you return you will find all the threads intact in the New Posts screen, but you will lose all the "down arrows" that take you to the newest post in the thread. It is a real pain in the neck to have to review each thread at that point to see what's really new.

Yes - I've been over that in a number of other threads. It sucks, but there it is. :(

Back