help! my computer fell and it won't get up

gkainz said:
I think it's time for a consumer revolt! I'm recently completely sick and tired of DVDs that will not allow you to skip thru the FBI warning and previews and all the rest of the crap they stuff into the front end of those things.

Just wait.

When the new DVRs, DVD recorders and VCRs come out that support the broadcast flag, the DVD's and tapes they record will NOT be able to be played on older models. So it's likely that the DVD player you have now will not play a DVD recorded on a DVD recorder that's manufactured after this spring.

Thank the MPAA and RIAA for that.

wsuffa said:
Just wait.

When the new DVRs, DVD recorders and VCRs come out that support the broadcast flag, the DVD's and tapes they record will NOT be able to be played on older models. So it's likely that the DVD player you have now will not play a DVD recorded on a DVD recorder that's manufactured after this spring.

After the profanity :zap!: checker got done with my response :zap!: , I had nothing to say...

wsuffa said:
Just wait.

Hmm.

I hope the Sony DVD recorder I just bought doesn't have this...

you know, I don't even HAVE a DVD player. so I guess I'm still good?

see, being a semi-luddite has its advantages. you wait long enough, it's new and improved and a lot cheaper too.

any good DVD players and recorders to look for? well, let's start with players.

woodstock said:
any good DVD players and recorders to look for? well, let's start with players.
DVD players - just plain players - have dropped in price significantly. They've also gotten a lot thinner now that the manufactuers have realised that "Hey, you know, they don't NEED to be as big as a VCR because the media sure as heck ain't..."

You can get a Magnavox Slim Progressive Scan player for $50, a price that makes it a virtually throwaway component.

Now as far as DVD Recorders are concerned - well I just bought the Sony RDRGX300 because while I love my TiVo, hacking it is a ROYAL PITA and keeping the hacks current is worse.

But at the cost, its hardly disposable. Still, I like this recorder - it has a very easy to use interface. :)

Ghery said:
Just try and add some internal goodies to a PC with an HP motherboard.

I think not.

Reality check:

That's why you completely drop the entire idea that brand names mean anything useful nowadays and take a little time (no PhD in EE required) and learn to turn screwdrivers and shove plugs into predesigned slots. High-Tech does not exist any longer. All that hype is sales people trying to take you for a ride. Today, excluding propriatary stuff like your motherboard, it's just run of the mill off the shelf canned components and prefabricated cables, not machine code and phase lock loops and nand gates like it was way back when. Upgrade $50 at a time over a year and put in what you want, not what someone thinks you want for roughly the same price. Every once in a while you run into a snag on slowly upgrading but it's seldom a show stopper.

No offense intended, I'm just get to hear nearly that same exact story from the lady next to me at work about twice a week. She is convinced the HP whateveritiscalled is god of all computers past present future, nevermind the insignificant fact she's on her 3rd $800+ computer in two years and my mutt computer does what I want it to for less than any one of her junkers.

$1000? Hint: Stay away from retail except for the rare moment where their sale brings a part you need down to reasonable...

Now, if they'd just start selling laptop components like they do desktop components and for a sensible price...

IMO anyway...

fgcason said:
I think not.

Reality check:

That's why you completely drop the entire idea that brand names mean anything useful nowadays and take a little time (no PhD in EE required) and learn to turn screwdrivers and shove plugs into predesigned slots. High-Tech does not exist any longer. All that hype is sales people trying to take you for a ride. Today, excluding propriatary stuff like your motherboard, it's just run of the mill off the shelf canned components and prefabricated cables, not machine code and phase lock loops and nand gates like it was way back when. Upgrade $50 at a time over a year and put in what you want, not what someone thinks you want for roughly the same price. Every once in a while you run into a snag on slowly upgrading but it's seldom a show stopper.

No offense intended, I'm just get to hear nearly that same exact story from the lady next to me at work about twice a week. She is convinced the HP whateveritiscalled is god of all computers past present future, nevermind the insignificant fact she's on her 3rd $800+ computer in two years and my mutt computer does what I want it to for less than any one of her junkers.

$1000? Hint: Stay away from retail except for the rare moment where their sale brings a part you need down to reasonable...

Now, if they'd just start selling laptop components like they do desktop components and for a sensible price...

IMO anyway...

You're preaching to the choir here. :) I have an HP system because 3 years ago Intel decided to give each employee a system, and HP was chosen as the vendor. The other computer in my office was built from parts. The three computers in my son's computer room were built from parts. The two servers and two workstations we donated to the Beta Psi Chapter of Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity (WSU chapter) a couple year ago were built from parts. When I really upgrade, it will be built from parts. I'm an engineer (BSEE) at Intel. I can find my way around inside a chassis.

BTW, for the most part we buy our parts locally. Much better customer service than the internet vendors, and they don't really charge that much more.

gkainz said:
Itemized bill for power supply repair:
Parts: 1 0.5 amp microfuse $ 0.25
Labor: Soldering 0.2 hours@ $25/hr - $ 5.00
Knowing which part to replace - $22.75
Not paying HP $200 - Priceless!

wsuffa said:
this was one of the "better" things to come out of the Compaq merger - NOT :mad:
Some things are pretty ironic.

Met a guy the other day. He is a senior level trade guy protecting copywright in Asia. All his friends and neighbors have bootleg software up the wazoo. I asked him what he does about that.

"Nothing, this is Asia after all. My job is to work it at the government level." Hey he's making a living. If there was no piracy there'd be no job - LOL

Dan Deutsch said:
Not paying HP $200 - Priceless!
EgggggZACLY!!! :D My file server, print server and kids pcs are all built from parts. Wish it could be so (easily) for the laptop.
I don't pay $65 for the oil change in my truck, when 12 quarts of oil is $1.25/qt when purchased in bulk at Costco and filters are on sale at Wally World for less than $6.
I don't play the "hand over the credit card" game for brakes, when pads are $20 and turning rotors when necessary is $10...

Last edited:
wsuffa said:
Just wait.

The broadcast flag will be strictly for over the air broadcasts. The MPAA and RIAA have enough control of the cable and satellite broadcast companies that they can get what they want from them without buying rules from the govmint.

They have mandated the "content safe" HDMI cable so that any digital source device to TV connection will check for the permission from those associations to see if they said its OK for you to record the content. That's a separate bit of aggravation.

Example: I have 2 "DirectTV DVR with Tivo." They will record anything that shows up the screen EXCEPT the music channels. The RIAA is firmly committed to preserve their 1955 business plans, even more than the movie industry.

Back