help me think thru the details of this proposed flight?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Help me brainstorm through details of a possible flight from Rapid City, SD KRAP to Brookings, SD KBKS - 370 sm, 5.5 hrs driving, or 270 nm, 2.0 hrs flying. So far, this is all a mental exercise - a "could I do it?".

My mom's in a nursing home in Rapid City, and we're considering transferring her to Brookings, SD to be closer to my sister and her family. Mom's in a wheel chair, non-ambulatory, lost a leg recently due to infection in a knee replacement surgery last year. I have to have specific conversations with the PT staff at the nursing home to find out her exact capabilities now - I don't believe she can stand on her good leg, and quite sure she couldn't lift herself up into a seat.

They currently use a Hoyer lift to move her around, but I know the PT staff have been working towards bed to chair transfers for her, but not sure how much progress they've made.

I could see this lift possibly working to get her into a high wing, but I don't see her getting into a low wing (what I have access to ... a Dakota, Bonanza or Saratoga) ... would require sliding up the wing seated, then lift, turn and move into the seat.

Then there's the potential egress issue. In an emergency in the low wing, we're both stuck. With a high wing/2 doors, not quite as stuck, but still not great.

The only positive factor of this would be 2 hrs air vs 5.5 (plus stops) ground travel. Everything else leans strongly towards a NO GO for me.

I did hear about a Wheelchair transport company that I will investigate. Also suspect a non-emergency ambulance transfer cost might be astronomical, but don't know yet.

Sounds like a job for a cabin twin. Getting them onboard in a litter is a bit awkward so they need to have some pretty good meds if in pain.

It could be done in one of your singles buy pulling the seats then using the seatbelts to secure the litter. I'm thinking that would be a last resort type thing.

If she is otherwise healthy renting an RV might be more comfortable than other options. Just throwing out ideas at this point. Only had to do something similar once and we used a turboprop since company was footing the bill.

Edit: call @Zeldman and see what kind of deal he can give...

Greg, I am sorry to hear that. I think the stress, and hassle of lifting her into an airplane may not be worth the time you save. Plus, then you need to find transport to the new nursing home anyway. If you have a vehicle to accommodate her, I would probably drive, or rent something suitable.

Wouldn't it be easier to have her in the back of the Saratoga instead of dealing with the over wing front entry door?

Having said that, I would be inclined to drive. Much more likely to find a vehicle with the space to make her comfortable for this journey to bring her closer to family. Good luck!

Last edited:
The Saratoga makes the most sense of any of the "self-fly" options, as noted above for rear seat access.

Nursing homes on either end say they're unable to help with loading or unloading.

Motorhomes present similar loading issue as airplanes (steps, small area, etc) but would make the drive more comfortable.

Still researching.

Help me brainstorm through details of a possible flight from Rapid City, SD KRAP to Brookings, SD KBKS - 370 sm, 5.5 hrs driving, or 270 nm, 2.0 hrs flying. So far, this is all a mental exercise - a "could I do it?".

My mom's in a nursing home in Rapid City, and we're considering transferring her to Brookings, SD to be closer to my sister and her family. Mom's in a wheel chair, non-ambulatory, lost a leg recently due to infection in a knee replacement surgery last year. I have to have specific conversations with the PT staff at the nursing home to find out her exact capabilities now - I don't believe she can stand on her good leg, and quite sure she couldn't lift herself up into a seat.

They currently use a Hoyer lift to move her around, but I know the PT staff have been working towards bed to chair transfers for her, but not sure how much progress they've made.

I could see this lift possibly working to get her into a high wing, but I don't see her getting into a low wing (what I have access to ... a Dakota, Bonanza or Saratoga) ... would require sliding up the wing seated, then lift, turn and move into the seat.

Then there's the potential egress issue. In an emergency in the low wing, we're both stuck. With a high wing/2 doors, not quite as stuck, but still not great.

The only positive factor of this would be 2 hrs air vs 5.5 (plus stops) ground travel. Everything else leans strongly towards a NO GO for me.

I did hear about a Wheelchair transport company that I will investigate. Also suspect a non-emergency ambulance transfer cost might be astronomical, but don't know yet.
'
That is how my paraplegic students did it, but I do not think that the situations are comparable. Don't fly.

Bob

Drive sounds like the way to go. But does she like to fly? Would she get a kick out of it? A story to tell? If so, the logistics of doing it would be worth it. If she'd enjoy looking out the window and seeing the sights instead of the wing see if you can find a C177. Big doors, easier in and out than the other Cessnas and the sit low

Good question. Good answers.
But I think you need to ask the person who matters THE MOST. Your mom. You don't want to make the trip worse for her if she doesn't like to go via air.
And sorry to hear the bad news. Sh*t happens. But hey, at least she's still here! (I myself am cringing and waiting when they will take my mom's leg :( )

Back