Help me plan my solo XC!!

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
Basically be given a blank slate by my CFI to go where I want to for my solo XC. I am based out of Robbinsville, NJ (N87). So I am looking for fun and interesting airports to hit on my 150 mile journey!! Looking for mainly Eastern PA or central or Southern NJ. I would prefer to get too involved with either Newark or Philadelphia airspace. So what places might be good?

I just did a triangle with the airports each around 50NM away, flying into one class C airspace.

Thinking about Robbinsville to Lehigh Valley (ABE) to Hazleton (HZL) to Robbinsville. Gets a Charlie the option to throw in Trenton for more controlled operations. Good easy vor's, and clocks in at 158 miles.

N87 to 4N1 to KABE back to N87?
Yeah looking at that also. Would require transit for Newark or taking the long way around, but Sussex (FWN) would work with less NY airspace issues. I do not have a student B sign off.

Any choices have a good on- or near field eatery? Use this flight as an opportunity for your first $100 burger?

Yeah looking at that also. Would require transit for Newark or taking the long way around, but Sussex (FWN) would work with less NY airspace issues. I do not have a student B sign off.

You could stay under class bravo (sub 3000ft) and you'd only go through KMMU's class delta airspace, no?

As soon as your airborne, contact approach and pick up flight following too. It will give you a better sense of awareness and comfort knowing you can ask for help if you get into a pickle. Prefacing with, "approach. Solo student pilot in bugs masher N1234Biscuit." And then whatever you want will take their edge off, hopefully talk slow and not ram it all down your throat.

I'm not familiar with the area but what about: N87 KRDG KABE KSMQ N87

Just over 150 nm, hits 3 different airport classes, avoids major airspaces and should be fairly scenic.

Back