Help me make up my mind.....

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Trying to decide what my next aviation accomplishment should be. I've actually found myself in a very fortunate situation (I base my flying budget on the previous year's investments and other military bonuses and 2010 was a good year).

Here's the background - I'm active Navy (ship-driver, not a pilot). I make far more money in the Navy right now than I could as a professional pilot, so I generally fly on the side for fun, but hope to get an job in the aviation industry (not necessarily flying) when I retire in about 8 years. Because of that, I have found myself blessed in that I am not constantly chasing hours and thus can spend more of my flying budget on other things.

To date, I have my Commercial SEL/MEL and am working on the CFI string right now. I also have SIC types in the DC-3 and B-25. So, I'm wondering what I should shoot for next? I've been toying with the idea of doing another SIC type in a jet this time (don't have any jet time yet) probably in a 737, but wondering if it would be better to go back and do the full PIC type in the DC-3. The full PIC obviously would cost more, but I am concerned that when I start looking for post-Navy employment, that someone might just look at me as a rating collector. While there may be some truth to that, I really enjoy the challenges of learning complicated aircraft and have gained alot of valuable experience through the two SIC types that I have done so far.

Anyway, what say ye?

"but hope to get an job in the aviation industry (not necessarily flying) when I retire in about 8 years"...doing what? Perhaps you should focus on activities that would help you to pursue that position?

SES rating, MES rating, Aerobatic Instruction, Tailwheel Endorsement. If it ain't fun, why do it?

To date, I have my Commercial SEL/MEL and am working on the CFI string right now. I also have SIC types in the DC-3 and B-25. So, I'm wondering what I should shoot for next? I've been toying with the idea of doing another SIC type in a jet this time (don't have any jet time yet) probably in a 737, but wondering if it would be better to go back and do the full PIC type in the DC-3. The full PIC obviously would cost more, but I am concerned that when I start looking for post-Navy employment, that someone might just look at me as a rating collector.
I don't think any employer is going to think negatively about you having various SIC type ratings. On the other hand I don't think that having a PIC type rating in a DC-3 will help much, except possibly as a conversation starter, unless you are trying to get a job flying a DC-3. I also don't think an SIC type rating in a jet will help you too much unless you just want to do it for your own interest.

"but hope to get an job in the aviation industry (not necessarily flying) when I retire in about 8 years"...doing what? Perhaps you should focus on activities that would help you to pursue that position?

In an ideal world, I would like to work the Feds - either FAA or NTSB. Barring that, something in the management realm in the industry. Currently working on my Master's degree in Aeronautical Science specializing in Aviation Safety and Management (something I do have extensive experience in), so I am indeed pursuing other marketable activities.

On the other hand I don't think that having a PIC type rating in a DC-3 will help much, except possibly as a conversation starter, unless you are trying to get a job flying a DC-3.

The big difference between the PIC and SIC is the checkride. Anybody who can shell out the money can get an SIC, but having a full PIC shows that you actually took and passed the oral and flight test, so while I am not realistically going to get hired flying -3s, it is a better indicator of ability than the SIC. But then again, it costs a whole lot more than the SIC.

I also don't think an SIC type rating in a jet will help you too much unless you just want to do it for your own interest.

Probably not, but like the experience of flying the B-25 and the Gooney, flying a jet is on my list of things to do in my lifetime.

Get the CFI and instruct a while b4 u make any more big airplane decisions - ya got plenty of time, and any big airplane training will only be beneficial if recently done when you go a'knockin..

The big difference between the PIC and SIC is the checkride. Anybody who can shell out the money can get an SIC, but having a full PIC shows that you actually took and passed the oral and flight test, so while I am not realistically going to get hired flying -3s, it is a better indicator of ability than the SIC. But then again, it costs a whole lot more than the SIC.
While all that is true, most employers which I have known are more interested in experience which is relevant and like the previous poster pointed out, recent. That's not to say that a DC-3 type rating would be completely worthless because it might be a very cool conversation starter, but if you are looking for the most bang for your buck....

The most useful ratings will be your CFI/MEI/CFII so you can start instructing. At that point you'll be pretty well set.

The type ratings I think are going to be less useful to you. PIC or SIC, to me that's more of a rating collector thing to do. Granted I've done a good number of ratings in a short period of time, but they've all been with purposes in mind. A type rating only serves a purpose if you anticipate using it.

Yesss.

While all that is true, most employers which I have known are more interested in experience which is relevant and like the previous poster pointed out, recent. That's not to say that a DC-3 type rating would be completely worthless because it might be a very cool conversation starter, but if you are looking for the most bang for your buck....

Adding the Glider add-on at all off your appropriate levels could be a fun diversion into a whole new world. Same with rotary-wing.

Plus low-level rope-break training for the Commercial Glider rating looked wicked cool from the ground as a spectator!

Probably not as practical as some of the many other suggestions, and one is definitely cheaper than the other.

FWIW, may be leaning toward the jet......just found out that a new version of the GI BILL was just signed that goes into effect in Oct that will cover flight training (unlike the current post-9/11 GI BILL). So, unless somebody knows of any Part 141 DC-3 schools out there, I think I will probably go for the jet type once my CFI stuff is done.

Back