Help me inspect my oil filter element.

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Cutting open & examining the oil filter is an important (and nail-biting) aviation maintenance practice.
It is not taught well, and there are few good explanations out there on how to do it.
I want to bring light to, and correct this glaring deficiency. I am no expert at it but I thought if we put our heads together we could come up with some Best Practices for this.
I video'd my filter examination yesterday and just wondered if you would have a look and help me put together some info on this topic.

I'm pretty sure that the major problem is that you didn't pay a properly certificated A&P to do the inspection for you. Everything else looks OK to me.

Cutting open & examining the oil filter is an important (and nail-biting) aviation maintenance practice.
It is not taught well, and there are few good explanations out there on how to do it.
I want to bring light to, and correct this glaring deficiency. I am no expert at it but I thought if we put our heads together we could come up with some Best Practices for this.
I video'd my filter examination yesterday and just wondered if you would have a look and help me put together some info on this topic.
Thank God for that filter. Can you imagine if that last bit made it into the engine?

You got me! I didn't think this was coming from Studio 6PC or the eMan Academy.

Very nice!

Not sure about yours, but there are usually little hard bits of carbon and that is normal. Any metal is abnormal.

How were the comressions? Just use some Phillips X/C and camguard, you'll be fine.

How were the comressions? Just use some Phillips X/C and camguard, you'll be fine.

Heard it's the preferred combo on fleet turbines from someone in the know too..... I forget who that was though.

Heard it's the preferred combo on fleet turbines from someone in the know too..... I forget who that was though.
I thought fleet went out of business

Video is great.

Nice and short.

If it had gone on any longer, as you scanned the length of the filter media, I would have worried you might have found something awful. Maybe even something really awful, like fragments of a broken AOA indicator.

Some years ago I was filling in as the line mechanic for a Community College with an A&P and a flight school. Filter inspection became a teaching opportunity. Students would cut open the can and inspect the media under my supervision. Nice no dirty hands nor oil drips on my clothing.

There are actually serious replies to the OP ...

Makes me wonder how many people actually click on a link in the OP (in this case, a really good video) vs how many just read the thread's title and a few words, then hit reply?

I actually watched it hoping I'd learn about how to open and inspect my oil filter. Dammit.

Back