Help me get out of Vegas

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Anyone familiar with the Las Vegas airspace? I'm leaving North Las Vegas tomorrow, and I was curious what the usual route out of here is. The Cortez Transition appears to be only one way, while Rocks appears to be 2 way.

Will I stand any chance of being cleared into the Bravo directly to the east? If not, am I going to have to fly rocks 30nm south and then cut east around the mountains? Or is it a crap shoot?

what are you flying Nick? (how fast can you get up)
and which way are you going (I think it will help us answer.)
When I came out of there last fall going southeast, I was given the departure procedure that circles over the field once....then vectors.
(although I was ifr, I think you will be handled similarily)
I would ask tower for flight following and they will tell you what to do, where to go!

When I was there in 2006, I didn't bother with any of those transition routes. Approach is really nice around there

We departed on runway 12(L/R?) toward the class Bravo. I told them we were going to the Grand Canyon, so they gave us a turn to the east at, IIRC, 4000' through the Bravo. This was at 2pm or so. Don't think it'll be an issue.

-Felix

We ALWAYS got the Northtown 1 departure, with vectors on course after that. Seminoles and Skyhawks alike. I'd bet even VFR they'd give you something similar if you're going out over the city. They're pretty good about getting you through without much hastle.

I've avoided the DP when it's visual by telling approach I wanted a visual climb and would take responsibility for terrain clearance and traffic. They thanked me and vectored me directly south (east another time). But I was IFR requesting a visual climb on a VFR day. Avoided a big climbing 180 that wasn't necessary when visual.
Best,

Dave

I've always been cleared into the bravo and though I've been vectored around a bit in the beginning they have gotten me on course reasonably fast.

Anyone familiar with the Las Vegas airspace? I'm leaving North Las Vegas tomorrow, and I was curious what the usual route out of here is. The Cortez Transition appears to be only one way, while Rocks appears to be 2 way.

Will I stand any chance of being cleared into the Bravo directly to the east? If not, am I going to have to fly rocks 30nm south and then cut east around the mountains? Or is it a crap shoot?

Dont' plan on the Cortez transition if McCarran is landing on Rwy 19.
Don't plan on climbing on the Rocks transisiton if McCarran is departing on Rwy 25 or 19.

If you are departing VFR.. and which way? The request to Ground Control prior to Taxi should include ATIS and "Request Class B transition and your first point."

If you are going NE, E or SE, expect an easterly departure over Nellis AFB, you will be directed to fly a northerly heading until Nellis Approach (military controllers) see your beacon, are talking to you and clear you in.

If you are going S or SW, expect a 210 heading to remain clear of Class B with a code and a frequency after departure.

I've had LAS TRACON controllers vector me around the airspace entirely clear of the ClassB to the west before being cleared on course. I could have just as well on my own.

Did it go bad?

You need us to PayPal you some gas money? :D

Thanks guys! Vegas is the ****. I'm down 2 bills, but I was planning on dropping an AU. We're leaving almost directly east back to abq tomorrow afternoon. Pray for good weather and low DAs. Lol

Thanks guys! Vegas is the ****. I'm down 2 bills, but I was planning on dropping an AU.
So you're 'up' $800? I know how you can drop that in, oh, about 30 minutes. Advise ready to copy, I have a number for you to call.

Thanks guys! Vegas is the ****. I'm down 2 bills, but I was planning on dropping an AU. We're leaving almost directly east back to abq tomorrow afternoon. Pray for good weather and low DAs. Lol

Only 2 bills? how do you expect the county to keep my property taxes low if that is all you are leaving behind!!! You need to work harder dude.!!:rofl:

So how did the departure go, a dinner time today it was about 105F. :yikes:

Only 2 bills? how do you expect the county to keep my property taxes low if that is all you are leaving behind!!! You need to work harder dude.!!:rofl:

So how did the departure go, a dinner time today it was about 105F. :yikes:

It was quite easy, we left yesterday, and it was about 103 when I left. Only filled to the tabs, at gross weight in the Arrow. Was told to remain clear of the bravo until cleared. Handed off to Nellis Approach (yes, everyone in Vegas is called Approach, not Departure for some reason), who told me to fly 350. I repeated my request to enter the Bravo to Nellis Approach and was immediately cleared into the Bravo. Good stuff.

Nice easy flight, albeit turbulent as hell. Also, a lot more tour operators out on Monday afternoon than there were Friday morning. Very busy eyes until past Pearce Ferry Sector.

We stopped in Winslow for fuel, and that is one nice airport (well, the smoking area was nice at least). The restaurant smelled bomb, but I can't eat Mexican food with that kind of turbulence (and suggested that Brianna avoid it too).

From there, it was a nice, uneventful remainder to KABQ. Yay.

This time, the flight showed up on FlightAware. Yay: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N32492

We stopped in Winslow for fuel, and that is one nice airport (well, the smoking area was nice at least). The restaurant smelled bomb, but I can't eat Mexican food with that kind of turbulence (and suggested that Brianna avoid it too).

Great stuff, Nick. Glad you enjoyed the flight. I, too, think Winslow is a great fuel stop. I used to stop there regularly when I flew between San Antonio and Las Vegas (and other points west).

Now, did you see the girl, my lord, in a flatbed Ford?

Back