Help me find a used truck

Domenick

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Domenick
I've owned a 4-wheel drive, 6-cylinder, extended-cab (2-door), manual transmission 2000 Toyota Tacoma TRD for fifteen years. Love it.

However, I'm thinking it is time for an upgrade. Of the dozen or so vehicles I've owned over the years, all have been used. Back in the day, finding used vehicles was a considerably different process than today.

I'm interested in basically the same truck, maximum of 5-years-old. I may be okay with a 4-cylinder engine and automatic transmission, but it depends on the deal. Wife can't drive a manual transmission.

Your help would be appreciated in finding such a truck in today's IOT world. Thanks in advance.

Depending on where you live, look at deals in Canada. Importing is way less hassle than a plane and with the exchange rate, you’re getting an automatic 20% discount.

I had a 1992 Toyota pickup prior to the advent of the Tacoma and Tundra. It was a 4WD extended cab with automatic transmission. The 4WD shifter was on the floor.

I said all that to encourage you to stay with Toyota. I wish I had my old one back! I have “shopped around” on Craigslist and seen a few older Tacomas. You will likely have to look at Carmax, Carvana or a dealer to find one two or three years old.

Go to Carmax and test drive the different vehicles. Go on Sunday if you just want to sit in them. Then, go to local Toyota dealer website and search for Tacoma CPO/Certified Pre-Owned. Pretty sure Toyota didn’t add Carplay until 2019 if that’s important to you.

Make deal, go home.

If you want an idea price wise, use Autotrader.com with nationwide as the distance or autotempest.com to aggregate from autotrader, carguru, and a couple others.

Sounds like you know what you want so just go on Autotrader, Cargurus and find one close by.

Why?

The rule of thumb at our drome is that you're supposed to drive a 20+ year old vehicle to the hangar in order to fly your 40+ year old plane.

I was driving my 21 year old truck to the airport to fly my 11 year old plane that I built. I recently traded in the old truck for a "new to me" 2022 Nissan Frontier. Nice vehicle but it's what real truck owners call the "soccer mom" version i.e. 4 door crew cab with a five foot bed. But it does exactly what I need it to do ...

After a recent rental of a Tacoma with a 1:1 seat to cylinder ratio, do NOT give up on the V6.

Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are the way to find individual owner sales, you just need to be able to weed through the fake / scam advertisements (palm trees in the background of a truck in Oregon? Really?).

Thanks for the suggestions.

I live 74 nm from the Canadian border, so buying in Canada is possible. Not sure of the process or how to find listings.
Craigslist is how I found the current truck, so I'll be checking that.
Although I have an author's page on Facebook, Facebook completely befuddles me. Whoever wrote the program should be tortured, imprisoned, then executed.
Carmax, Carvana, Tacoma CPO/Certified Pre-Owned, AutoTrader, AutoTempest, Cargurus. Have I missed any? Any of these better than the others?
No idea what CarPlay is.

There are some palm trees in Oregon. :)

I live 74 nm from the Canadian border, so buying in Canada is possible. Not sure of the process or how to find listings.
Although I have an author's page on Facebook, Facebook completely befuddles me. Whoever wrote the program should be tortured, imprisoned, then executed.
Carmax, Carvana, Tacoma CPO/Certified Pre-Owned, AutoTrader, AutoTempest, Cargurus. Have I missed any? Any of these better than the others?
No idea what CarPlay is.

Autotempest aggregates results from Autotrader, cargurus, and several others.

Apple Carplay and Android Auto integrate your cell phone apps (nav, audio, etc.,) with the head unit. Effectively turns your cell phone into another source in addition to AM/FM and makes OEM nav and XM satellite obsolete in most use cases.

Domenick, before you give up on your 2000 Tacoma. Make a list of everything that needs replaced, repaired or rebuilt. You may find that fixing what you have is way more beneficial then buying someone else's problems.​

Have three older vehicles that I keep going. Newer vehicles have their place but replacing what you have that's working isn't one of those places. If you use that money that your planning in a new purchase to upgrading the Tacoma you'll be much happier. :biggrin:

No idea what CarPlay is.

I like cargurus because it tries to determine if the price is fair based on similar listings. It’s not perfect but usually pretty accurate. Which site you prefer depends on how picky you are about the options on the vehicle. Some sites provide better filters for the specific options.

I love my 4R and toyota makes reliable vehicles. I would definitely test drive a later model Taco as some owners don't like the seating position. There is basically a shim kit to change the seat angle which helps to a degree. If you aren't using the truck bed much I'd look at 4R's, older Landcruisers and older Lexus GX. All rather unexciting vehicles yet dependable and all of them ate made over in Japan.

I just rolled over the first 100k on the 4runner. The only mx other than oil, filters and fluids was (pre-emptively) chucking the crap factory battery at 4 years and ironically - back brakes, one must have been sticking and wore it faster than the fronts.

Also tons of port side add-ons make accessories and updates really simple. I installed a auto start in less than 30 minutes at under $350.

No idea what CarPlay is.

I think those all suck for the "buyer experience", however, we have had good luck with the Carmax extended warranty (5yr/150K total mile). It is generous/hassle-free enough that it can't last much longer in its current form :)

I'll be sad when it's gone.

Not sure of the process or how to find listings.

In Canada, you find anything and everything in Kijiji (www.kijiji.ca). Planes, cars, boats or marbles, literally anything. How to import, you can read more here: https://www.dirtlegal.com/blog/6-steps-to-import-a-vehicle-from-canada-to-the-us-by-yourself

I don't know where you are based but I did a quick nationwide search for 2018 Tacomas (https://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/canada/toyota-tacoma/2018/k0c174l0a68?sort=dateDesc) and it seems like they go for between $40,000 to $50,000 in Canadian Dollars ($30,000 - $37,000 in USD) depending on milage and condition.

I think those all suck for the "buyer experience", however, we have had good luck with the Carmax extended warranty (5yr/150K total mile). It is generous/hassle-free enough that it can't last much longer in its current form :)

I'll be sad when it's gone.

Carmax will just increment up their markup; they really make money on the cars they buy though.

Autotempest aggregates results from Autotrader, cargurus, and several others.

Apple Carplay and Android Auto integrate your cell phone apps (nav, audio, etc.,) with the head unit. Effectively turns your cell phone into another source in addition to AM/FM and makes OEM nav and XM satellite obsolete in most use cases.
Thanks.

In Canada, you find anything and everything in Kijiji (www.kijiji.ca). Planes, cars, boats or marbles, literally anything. How to import, you can read more here: https://www.dirtlegal.com/blog/6-steps-to-import-a-vehicle-from-canada-to-the-us-by-yourself

I don't know where you are based but I did a quick nationwide search for 2018 Tacomas (https://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/canada/toyota-tacoma/2018/k0c174l0a68?sort=dateDesc) and it seems like they go for between $40,000 to $50,000 in Canadian Dollars ($30,000 - $37,000 in USD) depending on milage and condition.
Washington State.
Thanks for the Canadian links.

Domenick, before you give up on your 2000 Tacoma. Make a list of everything that needs replaced, repaired or rebuilt. You may find that fixing what you have is way more beneficial then buying someone else's problems.

Have three older vehicles that I keep going. Newer vehicles have their place but replacing what you have that's working isn't one of those places. If you use that money that your planning in a new purchase to upgrading the Tacoma you'll be much happier. :biggrin:

Thanks, that is an option I am considering.Truck only has about 140K miles. 2021 I replaced the starter myself, and I doubt I could on the newer versions. Got a good local mechanic for the stuff I can't or won't tackle. The only issues I've had remedied are, the failed starter, failing ignition coils, ignition switch, MAF metering, throttle position sensor, and failing fuel injectors. Mechanic did the injectors. I did everything else. Youtube and the Taco aficionado forums are great resources.

Still, I am considering all my options.

I love my 4R and toyota makes reliable vehicles. I would definitely test drive a later model Taco as some owners don't like the seating position. There is basically a shim kit to change the seat angle which helps to a degree. If you aren't using the truck bed much...
I use the bed all the time--gravel, mulch, topsoil, bricks, blocks, fishing gear, kayak fishing gear, ...
Within days of getting the truck, I put a lumber rack on it, tossed the bed liner (gave it away on Craigslist), and had the bed Line-X'd. That stuff is tough. After all the shoveling and hauling, it's discolored in a few spots, but no flaking or chipping.

Another vote for autotempest. Great site for grabbing ad's from multiple spots.

it's what real truck owners call the "soccer mom" version
I had to rent a car when mine was in the shop once. Ended up with an F-150, 4-door, way to much red leatherette for my taste. My daughter got in it and said, “this is a girl truck!” And I’m pretty sure that didn’t mean she liked it.

I had to rent a car when mine was in the shop once. Ended up with an F-150, 4-door, way to much red leatherette for my taste. My daughter got in it and said, “this is a girl truck!” And I’m pretty sure that didn’t mean she liked it.

I do like the Frontier and actually chose it over the Tacoma for several reasons. The upgraded version has a lot going for it. Full size truck was too large for me ...

Dare to be different...

1693265552179.png

This 1962 GMC Fenderside Crew Cab is unique not only in terms of availability but also based on its looks..GMC only manufactured six of these in 1962 and only one of them is in the United States today. The truck is a four-seater and its old retro look is refreshing and certainly is not a cookie cutter.

Dare to be different...

View attachment 120144

This 1962 GMC Fenderside Crew Cab is unique not only in terms of availability but also based on its looks..GMC only manufactured six of these in 1962 and only one of them is in the United States today. The truck is a four-seater and its old retro look is refreshing and certainly is not a cookie cutter.
The wheelbase/turning radius on that thing makes my Excursion seem nimble lol.

Back