Help me equip my hangar

kujo806

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kujo806
I just purchased a new to me F33A and hangar. To say I am excited about life right now is an understatement. I am going to Oshkosh later this week, and I need to equip my hangar. This is my first aircraft ownership experience, so let me know what I should put on the list. I am pretty sure I need a powered towbar, custom chocks, and cowl / pitot plugs. I am working on obtaining cleaning supplies as well. Thoughts?

20210723_175639.jpg

Congrats.
I recently moved my little plane into a T hangar for the first time. I've had it in a community hangar since I got it.

I have on my hangar to get list:
better chairs
table
work bench
tool cart
cabinet/shelf
white board - for keeping track of annual dates, my BFR/Med dates, oil change times, etc
a few spares - oil ignition stuff etc.
Broom
cheap leaf blower
snow shovel - ugh
radio

A really large but quiet air compressor if you're doing any serious maintenance.

Congrats on your purchase of an official POA accepted aircraft! :D

I purchased a rack of plastic shelves to put in the corner to store things. Since moving in, I've accumulated basic tools (including things like scissors and a knife), someone's old fridge (and then some bottles of water, soda and beer to fill it), cleaning supplies for the plane, a fan, and then, wouldn't you know it, my wife wanted new living room furniture so I took the old couch, chair and rug to the hanger, too. Looking back, filling the hanger occurred in a pretty expected but organic manner.

What everyone previously said, plus....

scale;

For those post flight debriefings,of course.!!

if you are going to be active in the maintenance of your bird:

The official parts catalogue for your airplane
The tcds for your bird
Aircraft spruce catalogue

tools that have a holder for each item- so ya know if ya left something in the cowl. At least for sockets n screwdrivers

oil filter cutter

spark plug stuff (rack, socket, gapper, cleaner, etc) if you fly a lot.

a borescope ($200 one will work) to keep an eye on valves when rotating plugs

small table on roller wheels for maintence work

leaf blower (easier than sweeping)

I don't have an image of them, but I bought a shelving unit that look like the restaurant ones in the link with very thick wire instead of continuous shelf (bought mine at Sam's and they HUGE) - mine look like the image just much more sturdy. Skip the broom and get a blower, which works GREAT on this type shelving unit if you store stuff in the big plastic tubs. I have to for brown recluse spiders and rattle snakes in my area.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/regency-18-x-24-nsf-chrome-3-shelf-kit-with-34-posts/460EC1824K33.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping HP&utm_term=1100404859885&utm_content=Equipment

Workbench
Air compressor
Gym locker (to hang coats in)
Comfy chairs
Tools commensurate with owner's skills
Refrigerator

Mouse traps. The big glue boards will catch birds that try and sneak in and out too.

Congratulations, I think everyone has covered the basic items..

Some place to put the plane when the wife fills it up with her stuff. :p Oh wait that only applies to an airpark where the house is next to the hangar.

Here is my weird list. We are slowly finishing ours out and the following has been very useful. Not sure how many you can get from OSH:

1. Large rolling bench, ideally with storage underneath. This was a leftover from the previous owner and it is awesome to be able to roll the tools and bench right next to where you work. We learned that we absolutely do not want any fixed counter tops or benches in the main hangar. With two planes in there and other things to be able to move the flat surfaces is awesome. In the end when it is finished out we are going to buy (or build) two of these.

2. Quiet air compressor. A hand crank hose reel and 50ft of the green flexzilla hose. The flexzilla is great if you have a hose reel. If you plan to wind it up in a loop around the air compressor you will hate it.

3. 50ft retractable extension cord

4. Small white board. We also have our MX and AD's listed on it so one quick look before we do pre-flight.

5. That rubber channel stuff to place a cords in. I run the Battery minder cord and one extra extension cord thru it so no one trips over it.

6. As many LED lights as you can get away with.

7. A large 10 or 12 quart oil jugs with large mouth screw top and handle to hold a single oil change with no spills

8. Small jack. I have used it to lift for tires and hang weights for pulling down the tail.

9. Rolling plastic garbage can. More useful for the construction work.

10. One of those oil drip pans you get at a car parts store for like $11.

11. Small NEMA electrical box with our Verizon Hotspot to give us internet for pulling wx, remote tannis starter and security cameras.

12. Craigslist special Yamaha receiver and cheap ipod like music player.

When it is finished we will add:

1. Our old fridge
2. Our old microwave
3. Barstool height chairs to go under the rolling benches
4. Some place to hold the large water jugs to work in the fridge for ice and drinking
5. 20ft movie screen and kick ass projector :)
6. Clock set to airport time (runs about 46min late according to my wife).

If someone has already bought a bonanza does that mean PoA is obligated (regardless of thread topic) to recommend a twin bonanza or a second bonanza?

Hand tools, ladders, brooms, etc are obvious. A bench with a vice and a grinder and good lighting. The best add to my hangar has been two rolling tool carts. One for tools and one for parts. I use a cheap rolling office chair more than I would have guessed. I plan to pick up a creeper on the way home tonight.

What you need is someone to bring you beer to fill a refrigerator……. *cough*
one of these for all the new friends you're gonna have who want rides

View attachment 98658
not helpful

…Hi friend :D

… one of our club hangars has an electric winch bolted down in the back for those days you just can’t get the plane in.

I just purchased a new to me F33A and hangar. To say I am excited about life right now is an understatement. I am going to Oshkosh later this week, and I need to equip my hangar. This is my first aircraft ownership experience, so let me know what I should put on the list. I am pretty sure I need a powered towbar, custom chocks, and cowl / pitot plugs. I am working on obtaining cleaning supplies as well. Thoughts?

View attachment 98643
I never owned a hangar, but if I did, I'd have a stocked fridge, a kettle and tea pot, a comfy chair, a footstool, a reading lamp, and a screen for watching Netflix. That way, I could sit in the corner and procrastinate in comfort while the plane didn't get washed and vacuumed.

I never owned a hangar, but if I did, I'd have a stocked fridge, a kettle and tea pot, a comfy chair, a footstool, a reading lamp, and a screen for watching Netflix. That way, I could sit in the corner and procrastinate in comfort while the plane didn't get washed and vacuumed.

And have someplace to hang until the wife cools down once she learns what you really spent on the airplane's new avionics. Hint, don't use the charge card... so I heard from a friend. :D

I wound start with cabinets to put stuff in. Things get dusty in a hangar rather quickly.

Then a shop vac, a small air compressor, extension cords, hand tools, a creeper, cleaning supplies, hand cleaner, a garden sprayer to use when cleaning off bugs.

Get an old cooler, drill hole and install a 15 watt bulb. You will use this to keep things from freezing in the hangar in winter.

In that hangar you show in the pic, you are going to have issues with birds unless a previous owner has added stuff to stop them.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I really appreciate the creativity too :). I should have probably prefaced the conversation with what is currently in the hangar. Also the picture was taken in Houston where I picked up the plane. My hangar is in a private hangar community, and it is well insulated with a gas thermostat controlled heater. It also has a winch in it. It has some of the basics already there too. I need to get my stocked fridge and brass pole installed soon. The shop vac and extension cords sound like a great idea. I will get to work on that and my sectional map. Maybe I will post a picture when I get it setup.

Congrats...I would put a desk and some cabinets. You'll find what you need to put in there soon enough.

I moved in 3+ years ago, do all my own maintenance and annuals here in my hangar. Also spend a lot of time there after work even when not flying. This is my hangar life...lol.

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_9826.JPG

IMG_9253.JPG

Those are baking trays, very useful.
IMG_0203(1).JPG

Tools.
That one tool I need at the hangar is at home.
That one tool I need at home is at the hangar.
Every time.

Tools.
That one tool I need at the hangar is at home.
That one tool I need at home is at the hangar.
Every time.
Yes I know what you mean. Been swapping tools from work to race shop to home and now airplane hangar. After 35 years I have 3 or 4 sets of tools. I still sometimes carry tools back and forth but not nearly as much as I used to.

Yes I know what you mean. Been swapping tools from work to race shop to home and now airplane hangar. After 35 years I have 3 or 4 sets of tools. I still sometimes carry tools back and forth but not nearly as much as I used to.
It's convenient for dividing up tools that my airplane is SAE, while most things at home, like bicycles, are metric. Also, no need to take my Robertson screwdrivers to the airport, because nothing in aviation uses them.

Back