Help me decode this squawk please!

EpicDraws

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Derek
From a PA28-181:

OBS: Spins during banks suction = 5.0​

Any ideas? I read it that the suction gauge reads 5 in a bank, but the spins part throws me off...

My guess is that he is miscalling a gyro instrument the OBS. Probably the DG.

I believe OBS is Observation rather than a grounding squawk.

I would guess that the OBS is spinning when the plane is banked. Suction is at 5.0

I would guess that the OBS is spinning when the plane is banked. Suction is at 5.0

Thought of that but the OBS has nothing to do with suction and I am assuming the pilot is not a total idiot and just had a brainfart when he wrote the squawk. In other words it would make sense if he wrote:

DG: Spins during banks suction = 5.0

Does the airplane have an HSI? Then it would make sense as-is.

Thought of that but the OBS has nothing to do with suction and I am assuming the pilot is not a total idiot and just had a brainfart when he wrote the squawk. In other words it would make sense if he wrote:

DG: Spins during banks suction = 5.0

Does the airplane have an HSI? Then it would make sense as-is.

Nope, it does not.

Shouldn't the DG spin when banked?

He observes that the airplane spins when he banks it. The suction is measured from the pilots seat area.

He observes that the airplane spins when he banks it. The suction is measured from the pilots seat area.

LOL. Would you believe that the exact same thought passed through my mind when I first saw that squawk. Great minds and all that. I could not find the right words but you nailed it.

This kinda reminds me of the classic:

Problem: "Engine number 3 missing"
Remedy: Engine number three located on starboard wing after brief search.

From a PA28-181:

Any ideas? I read it that the suction gauge reads 5 in a bank, but the spins part throws me off...

I saw that squawk too. OBS means "observation" and is a term that is used at this club to refer to minor squawks (although personally I think something that makes an airplane un-airworthy for IFR is not minor).

My guess is that he was referring to the DG, and that during banks, it spun such as to lose track of the heading.

Note the initials following the part you quoted. That indicates that the squawk was transcribed into the computer from a written squawk. Transcriptions can be inaccurate, so the "DG" may or may not have been left off when the squawk was originally written.

Given the lack of punctuation, I think it is likely that the suction reads 5 at all times, not just in a bank. (The fact that the suction guage reads normal is useful information because a DG problem can be caused by low suction.)

I saw that squawk too. OBS means "observation" and is a term that is used at this club to refer to minor squawks (although personally I think something that makes an airplane un-airworthy for IFR is not minor).

My guess is that he was referring to the DG, and that during banks, it spun such as to lose track of the heading.

Note the initials following the part you quoted. That indicates that the squawk was transcribed into the computer from a written squawk. Transcriptions can be inaccurate, so the "DG" may or may not have been left off when the squawk was originally written.

Given the lack of punctuation, I think it is likely that the suction reads 5 at all times, not just in a bank. (The fact that the suction guage reads normal is useful information because a DG problem can be caused by low suction.)

Thanks! You fly 343MM also?

I haven't yet. I would have scheduled it for tomorrow, but 4378N has fewer squawks, and I want to familiarize myself with the GTN 650 some more.

From a PA28-181:

Signoff:
OBS: Spins not authorized during banks - suction within specified tolerance.
A799 No problem found. Return to service.​

Squawk: Auto-land rough

Reply: Aircraft not equipped with Auto-land

More...

I thought obs was omni bearing selector.

Anywho i've seen a bad DG spin in a bank. As in I did a 45 degree bank steep turn and the DG thought the plane was in a spin.

As a pilot in a club with 13 planes I am used to reading some ridiculous squawk book entries though

Last edited:
Back