Help me decide where to crash

It happened to me... Nothing major, the crank just broke in half :( I did what I had to do and landed safely back on the runway. It was in a 540 powered Christen Eagle that glides like a brick!
View attachment 76231

Yup. Nice decoration for the house.

A friend had stuff come apart inside the engine on a C-175 at about 300’ AGL with a student under the hood doing a missed approach and the student chickened out... YOUR AIRPLANE! Hahaha.

He said if the missed hadn’t already started a righty turn the altitude wouldn’t have been enough, but at night he REALLY wanted back on airport property at least, in the AZ desert. Couldn’t see ****. Dark. No moon.

He set up the turn and the glide to get back on to the airport grounds at least where it was flat, and was pleasantly surprised when there was just enough energy left to make a left turn and line up with the runway and touch down. JUST enough energy. Stall horn complaining in the last line up turn, nose down.

They actually rolled off the runway at the first short intersection but not past the stop line. Got out and pushed.

Then the fun began of calling the owner and looking for some help getting the thing into a hangar at a closed up small airport at night. Ha.

The photos of the piston tops are unholy destruction. Valve wandered around multiple cylinders and beat the living hell out of the tops of two or three cylinders.

I think one is on his table at home like yours. :)

But do expect the engine to quit. On takeoff. Every time. Nose down. Maintain airspeed. Decide where you’re going.

The number one takeaway I get from people that have been through it. After the stunned disbelief is over, the #1 first step is to push the nose over and maintain airspeed. After that basic step keeps you from stalling it, the rest of your training will kick if in.

The number one takeaway I get from people that have been through it. After the stunned disbelief is over, the #1 first step is to push the nose over and maintain airspeed. After that basic step keeps you from stalling it, the rest of your training will kick if in.

@GMascelli can probably confirm. Yikes.

Agree. Someone recently mentioned Amy Labota's ditching 10(?) years ago off the Keys and that's what she said that really stuck with me. Well, that and after all the motion stops, unbuckle your seat belt, grab the survival equipment and get out.

I hope I never care that I remember this...

It happened to me... Nothing major, the crank just broke in half :( I did what I had to do and landed safely back on the runway. It was in a 540 powered Christen Eagle that glides like a brick!
View attachment 76231
Well, couldn't you have at least made partial power with the part that was attached to the propeller? I guess that depends on where the valve cam is driven from. Only partial :)

Back