Help me decide on a 182.

N64543

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
Looking at two 182s. Similar airframe and total time . One has six pack , 2002 bendix , non waas. The other is a 2004 non waas G1000. Which is better and more economical to upgrade to waas. Both are priced about the same .

Post the links?

Otherwise not sure how any response would have any value. The one on the left looks better?

With the 6 pack plane a couple of GI275 gets you into the glass game relatively inexpensively. I would personally look at what would be required to get rid of any vacuum system in the 6 pack plane and work towards that. But, truthfully I've never owned a plane with a vacuum system to know how much of a concern, if any, it is.

Also the G1000 setup is heavy. We have G1000 182s in CAP and they are limited in useful load. 3 people and about 50 gallons is the limit.

Ewwww.

Six pack.

From a G5 to GI275 to Dynon HDX to G3x to pick your glass including Avidyne, I can install avionics in it to a pilot’s preference in a jiffy.

A bulky G1000 that’s largely outdated and unmodular? Not so much.

Unless you just really want a G1000 system, get the six pack. G1000 is a limited upgrade path, the other can be configured to your wallet’s content.

I have heard this before. So with G1000, you can’t just simply replace it like you could a 6-pack? Because it’s part of the Type Certificate?

Thanks for all the responses I’m going to stay away from the non waas g1000. I’m interested in a turbo 182 . I found 2 , one has 1900 TT with 600 on reman. Lycoming asking 370k . The other is exact same plane TT 1200 , engine 1200 , asking 319k. Any opinions??

I have heard this before. So with G1000, you can’t just simply replace it like you could a 6-pack? Because it’s part of the Type Certificate?
Yes

And early G1000 installs are not WAAS and it is not cheap nor easy to upgrade to WAAS, as the manufacturer has to be involved.

Thanks for all the responses I’m going to stay away from the non waas g1000. I’m interested in a turbo 182 . I found 2 , one has 1900 TT with 600 on reman. Lycoming asking 370k . The other is exact same plane TT 1200 , engine 1200 , asking 319k. Any opinions??
All things being equal, is +600hr smoh worth 51k? Take OH cost and divide by tbo and multiply by 600. If it's less than 51k then there's an answer. But, is condition really the same? Avionics the same? Location the same (one on the coast vs Arizona)? History the same?

Back