Help Me Choose a Destination / Edit: Destintaion Chosen

Memphis-land at Dewitt Spain and uber to the Hampton Inn just off Beall street. Music and bar-b-cue and don't forget Gus' Fried Chicken.

Memphis-land at Dewitt Spain and uber to the Hampton Inn just off Beall street. Music and bar-b-cue and don't forget Gus' Fried Chicken.
That's a long drive from Colorado Springs...

Sunday may have opened up. The Mrs would really like to see the giraffes at Cheyenne Mtn Zoo and that's a possibility that day as a surprise, but we can do it another time if y'all want to meet somewhere on Sunday... and I confirmed my CFI isn't available this weekend so that fell off the conflict matrix. Haha. I was kinda hemming and hawing in case he said he's around this weekend.

Saturday is still fully booked though. Birthday lunch at the house with family and a movie she wants to see (I don't even know what it is!) that she (in her usual take charge way) bought tickets for already Saturday night. LOL. She does that. "I want to do X for my birthday so I got us tickets..." Haha.

Weather looks nice too. Could always just meet up for a 182 flight to somewhere also... airplane is good to go and I'm both day and night current...

Only downside to this time of year is we have a dog who's progressively getting more and more terrified of thunder so if PM thunderstorms start we either have to be home or we have to have the dogs along and with one 85 pounder and one 45 pounder... well, we usually end up at home.

Sunday may have opened up. The Mrs would really like to see the giraffes at Cheyenne Mtn Zoo and that's a possibility that day as a surprise, but we can do it another time if y'all want to meet somewhere on Sunday... and I confirmed my CFI isn't available this weekend so that fell off the conflict matrix. Haha. I was kinda hemming and hawing in case he said he's around this weekend.

Saturday is still fully booked though. Birthday lunch at the house with family and a movie she wants to see (I don't even know what it is!) that she (in her usual take charge way) bought tickets for already Saturday night. LOL. She does that. "I want to do X for my birthday so I got us tickets..." Haha.

Weather looks nice too. Could always just meet up for a 182 flight to somewhere also... airplane is good to go and I'm both day and night current...

Only downside to this time of year is we have a dog who's progressively getting more and more terrified of thunder so if PM thunderstorms start we either have to be home or we have to have the dogs along and with one 85 pounder and one 45 pounder... well, we usually end up at home.

We're slowly working on a plan. I have been PMing Everskyward, and I offered to meet somewhere closer to Denver if that would be easier for you guys. Murphey expressed interest also, and I haven't yet discussed anything with Clark. Sounds like everyone interested in meeting up lives in the Denver area, and would be taking ground transportation to the meet up, so I'm all for making it easier for y'all.

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, would be mighty close to us, right?

I am pretty open about where and when. I've been to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo but it was a long time ago and don't recall any places to eat around there. I'm not that familiar with Colorado Springs.

Very, but I doubt anyone else would want to come down there for that. Ha. My wife is giraffe crazy.

Would you guys want to meet up on your way to or from the zoo? You have to travel the length of Colorado Springs both ways anyway, right? Would you be interested in stopping for a bite to eat somewhere along your route going to or fro?

If we do that, you can just tell your wife that meeting Okieflyer is kind of just an extension of the zoo trip. I'm not as pretty as a giraffe, but just about as hairy.

Nah. I checked with her and we will do giraffes some other time. She says a PoA meetup or flight or whatever is cool.

Nah. I checked with her and we will do giraffes some other time. She says a PoA meetup or flight or whatever is cool.

I really, really don't want to infringe on your zoo trip. Please go do that if your wife wants to.

If you are indeed not going to the zoo, then hows about we all meet at The Perfect Landing at Centennial? Sunday evening? All in favor, say aye.

I really, really don't want to infringe on your zoo trip. Please go do that if your wife wants to.

If you are indeed not going to the zoo, then hows about we all meet at The Perfect Landing at Centennial? Sunday evening? All in favor, say aye.
Make reservations NOW! Place fills up, reservations required.

Make reservations NOW! Place fills up, reservations required.

Agreed. If we have a rough headcount I can call them and get a reservation started.

We talking Sunday night or Sunday late afternoon or what? Might not have a choice on the reservation but I'll ask once we have a number.

Sounds to me like Mari, Murphey, maybe Clark(?), Mr and Mrs Okie, and... who else?

Aww screw the headcount. Ha.

Get 'er Done!

I called and they're better a little early. Would 17:15 work for y'all?

I have a preliminary reservation in for 10 and I'll call them and lower it after we see who can and can't make it or raise it if we need to.

This way at least we are on their radar.

P.S. No this really isn't any big deal. Karen was saving up to go see 'em in Africa and folks here pointed out that CMZ has one of the world's largest herds in captivity and I didn't know, so we put "Go to the zoo" on the summer plans for "sometime".

We've been married long enough I just called her and said, "Hey, I was going to surprise you but I'd rather just ask you what you want to do Sunday..." She pointed out that an early departure Sunday from home to get down there and back with possible PM thundershowers wasn't going to be all that fun after a late Saturday night out anyway since we won't be home until late Saturday.

So we'll just do the zoo some other weekend. No biggie. We're also juggling my flight schedule. If the CFI says "we can fly this weekend" then whatever we had planned gets pushed. This CFI thing is taking way too long.

Annnnnnd... there's always the possibility of a meet up to go flying before dinner... if anyone wants to go a'wandering...

They have giraffe(s) at the Denver Zoo. Even a baby. This was about a month ago.

26DF0F74-2DAB-4D9D-9E1B-FA4890A9B392.JPG

OK so 1715 on Sunday at Perfect Landing? Sounds good.

Last edited:
Dang, I went out for an hour or so and it looks like you guys have this sucker planned out. I love it!

This is going to be fun! Hope you people like big dumb country hicks from Oklahoma, 'cause there's one a comin' to town. I suspect you'll prefer my lovely wife. :D

Denverpilot, thank you for jumping on the reservations for us.

I'm teaching an extended CCW class this weekend that will go late into Sunday evening, so not able to join you all. Have fun!

Well if you want to warn all the CO bunch, here's the list, leaving off the out-of-state'rs. If most are interested, we could take over the entire restaurant....(*evil laugh*)

agflyboy
AirmanG
Apelsin Elise (Alex)
bjc-cherokee
bonker
bushy mustache
cbmontogo
clark1961
coflyboy
colopilot
ColoradoJoe
copperblu
cowboynjco
denverpilot
dhindmanjr
e-pie
ejensen
eric
everskyward
eyeflying
FOXMIKE
G K
gauzeguy
gkainz
jayhawk
ionosphere80
izzydogg
jjflys
john_at_salida
l8evator
LBCAK
Luigi
madriverman
mtn2skies
murphey
O-200
peevee
pikespeakmtnman
pilotalan
pilotod
sportpilotco
stagecoachco
steve
Tom F.
V1-Vr-V2

Dang. I shall be 5 nm west of Perfect Landing at the appointed hour. Family. I would post pictures of the grand daughters but that would just be bragging and I don't want to do that. I will raise a glass at 1730 to the east and wish I was able to be there. Have fun all and know that I look forward to meeting you one of these time. And, Mr. and Mrs. OkieFlyer, I hope Colorado Springs and the region exceed all of the expectations created in this thread. We are honored that you chose us.

Scott

Dang. I shall be 5 nm west of Perfect Landing at the appointed hour. Family. I would post pictures of the grand daughters but that would just be bragging and I don't want to do that. I will raise a glass at 1730 to the east and wish I was able to be there. Have fun all and know that I look forward to meeting you one of these time. And, Mr. and Mrs. OkieFlyer, I hope Colorado Springs and the region exceed all of the expectations created in this thread. We are honored that you chose us.

Scott

Shucks! So close.

Yes, I know we will enjoy the area. Pretty much everything we'll be seeing will be the first time for my wife. She gonna like it fo sho!

Last edited:
Well if you want to warn all the CO bunch, here's the list, leaving off the out-of-state'rs. If most are interested, we could take over the entire restaurant....(*evil laugh*)

@Agflyboy
@AirmanG
@Apelsin Elise (Alex)
@bjc-cherokee
@Bonker
@bushy mustache
@cbmontogo
@Clark1961
@COFlyBoy
@ColoPilot
@ColoradoJoe
@copperblu
@cowboynjco
@denverpilot
@dhindmanjr
@e-pie
@ejensen
@Eric
@Everskyward
@eyeflying
@FOXMIKE
@G K
@GauzeGuy
@gkainz
@Jayhawk
@ionosphere80
@izzydogg
@jjflys
@john_at_salida
@l8evator
@LBCAK
@Luigi
@madriverman
@mtn2skies
@murphey
@O-200
@peevee
@pikespeakmtnman
@PilotAlan
@pilotod
@SportPilotCO
@stagecoachco
@Steve
@TOM F.
@V1-Vr-V2

At signs added. Pinging Colorado PoA. If you want to join on Sunday, post here. I'll add to the reservation.

@Agflyboy
@AirmanG
@Apelsin Elise (Alex)
@bjc-cherokee
@Bonker
@bushy mustache
@cbmontogo
@Clark1961
@COFlyBoy
@ColoPilot
@ColoradoJoe
@copperblu
@cowboynjco
@denverpilot
@dhindmanjr
@e-pie
@ejensen
@Eric
@Everskyward
@eyeflying
@FOXMIKE
@G K
@GauzeGuy
@gkainz
@Jayhawk
@ionosphere80
@izzydogg
@jjflys
@john_at_salida
@l8evator
@LBCAK
@Luigi
@madriverman
@mtn2skies
@murphey
@O-200
@peevee
@pikespeakmtnman
@PilotAlan
@pilotod
@SportPilotCO
@stagecoachco
@Steve
@TOM F.
@V1-Vr-V2

At signs added. Pinging Colorado PoA. If you want to join on Sunday, post here. I'll add to the reservation.
I think we both have too much time on our hands right now.

I think we both have too much time on our hands right now.

Well, I managed to fix the Subaru tonight. Hopefully not skunked on flying tomorrow. And I have a really exciting (not) project at work where I'm evaluating automated inventory systems for the network and computers.

It's portscanning things so of course I didn't think about the fact that our security software on the desktops and laptops would start complaining that they're being portscanned because I didn't put a rule in to allow that from the box that's doing the scanning. LOL.

Guess I'll be playing with managed desktop firewall rules sometime soon. Ha.

Made it safely to Colorado Springs. As it turns out, we couldn't have flown today even if the plane wasn't broke. Solid overcast 99% of the trip and raining pretty hard at times. I was pretty sure they had mountains in the Springs, but I can't see 'em.

We had two heavy showers move through but it was sunny in between. You should be able to see the mountains in the morning.

As noted, I'm distracted with birthday stuff today but I think we're still under 10 people on the list.

If your count says higher, let me know and I'll call and bump it.

It's under "Nate / Pilots Of America" for whoever arrives first. We'll try to be there a little early.

Was chatting with some folks about doing a flight beforehand but co-owner flies weekends and I have weekdays to fly right now and he wanted to do some currency work so he may stop by with 79M later and say hi. He's got priority on the airplane for tomorrow. All good.

Any severe weather could delay us due to the doggie terror problem. Crossing fingers on that. Should be ok but can't tell ahead of time.

With the Frankenkota in annual, and the Twin Cessna no longer available, my little cherokee is got a full tank, comfy seats and headsets.

BTW - is Bill doing the annual?

With the Frankenkota in annual, and the Twin Cessna no longer available, my little cherokee is got a full tank, comfy seats and headsets.

BTW - is Bill doing the annual?

I assume that's for Clark? Not sure what you're asking.

Traffic is horrendous between the Springs and Denver. We may be a tad late.

Traffic is horrendous between the Springs and Denver. We may be a tad late.

No worries.

Hey since you've never been there. Th airport entrance road is off of Peoria. Once you turn in on it, it'll bend left and up a little hill and you'll be looking straight at the control tower.

There will be buildings on your right. As the buildings move far away from the road to the west (right - big parking lot) that's where you'll want to go.

Restaurant is upstairs from Denver Jet Center. Second floor. Look for their sign or PL signs.

On the entrance road if you got past the big Mayo Aviation building on the right or the hotel on the left, you've gone too far. Easiest way back is to go into the holding pattern (roundabout) directly around the control tower to reverse course and back to the middle of the entrance road.

I'll post inside directions once we know where they sit us. I also have a present for you. I'm wearing my monkey race t-shirt.

Back