Help interpreting a regulation for my commercial license.

Fly4Fun!

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fly4Fun!
61.129- Aeronautical Experience

Ten hours of instrument training using a view limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigation systems.

Through my instrument training, my past CFI would use the entire remarks section to write down what Jeppesen lesson we completed, along with his # and signature. Luckily, I began writing in the remarks section before handing my logbook over, to include what was done on that flight and the specific practice approaches.

For the purpose of fulfilling the aeronautical experience required for the commercial license, would listing the approaches in the remarks section of a flight count as "intercepting and tracking navigation systems" and therefore the time utilizing a view limiting device on that flight could be used towards the required 10 hours?

Thanks a bunch!

Since approaches are specifically listed separately from intercepting and tracking in instrument currency requirements, I’d say no.

the good news is, if you spend 5 or 10 minutes intercepting and tracking, and log it as such, that box is checked.

most reasonable DPE's would accept that for the intercepting & tracking nav systems requirement. at least, I would.

i do spend a lot of time advising CFI's that if they would just document the specific flight & ground training requirements that are in part 61, this all would go a lot smoother...

Back