help installing a new DVD drive.

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I just was given a new DVD R/RW drive and I want to put it in my Dell Dimenson Desk Top. There was this gray panel that I removed off the front and was thinking I could just slide it in to box and lock the pins in. Took of the gray panel below the CD drive only no pins to slide it back into and it is wider than the opening in the plastic face plate. I tried to take off the top of the box like I did in my onld computer when I went to add more memory but looks like the darn thing is rivited rather than screwed on. Does the face plate come off? I don't want to break anything? What to do?

You shouldn't have to remove the front plate.

Sounds like you need to install the mounting rails that came with the DVD drive (I thought they stopped that years ago), by screwing them to the sides of the bay.

Then just plug 'er in and you're good to go

Well, if you're saying it won't fit through the front and the back appears to be riveted on, then maybe you have to remove the front fascia of the computer. I have a couple of Toshiba deskside servers that are like that. But I might be confused as to which face plate you're talking about. If you post the model number, maybe I (or someone) could look up the instruction manual online. Or there might be an online manual with a chapter about upgrading that addresses opening the case.

If it looks like something you think you need to open is riveted you're looking on the wrong side. Remove a side panel and you should see how the drive cage comes out. You may have to remove a second set of screws to open up the other side of the case. Dell builds these things in seconds on assembly lines so they have to be easy to open and make changes in.

You can also got to Dell's support page and supply the service code of the compuiter and get service instructions.

I suspect you'll find a spare pair of rails inside the case. Screw those to your drive and it should slide in and snap.

The case should have at least two drive bays that are open to the front for DVDs and CDs.

Last edited:
On my Dell deskside you must remove the access panel (that grants access to the boards and memory chips) and from there, you push in a few plastic tabs and one edge of the front plastic face is released. You swing it out like a door for maybe 30* - 45* and the plastic tabs holding the other side can be lifted out.

Of course they are all a bit different, but give this a try.

-Skip

Back