Help identifying Wind Noise PA28-140

ifly4fun

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
I have a 1967 PA28-140 that has developed an unsettling noise that to the best of my troubleshooting ability, I attribute it to some sort of wind noise.

- It started maybe 4-6 hours ago, no changes made during the time before and after it started.
- It sound mechanical - However, It does not exist on the ground. Changes in engine rpm or TAS do not seem to have an noticeable impact.
- Left rudder added reduces if not completely eliminates the noise. Right rudder brings it back.

I've uploaded it to youtube, granted its an iPhone recording inside a loud airplane, but if you tune out the engine noise you can hear a destynct hi-pitch whine that comes and goes throughout the recording. The best analogy I could offer is it sounds like a drill press cutting through metal.

Any thoughts?

Difficult to tell from the audio, but the wing root seal can become unattached under the wing and make noise.

It could be something like a fresh air vent or the vent window seal, probably on the left side of the fuselage. Sounds like air being forced through a very small opening.

Left side of my pa28 has 2 vents, one below the dash and one just about at my left elbow. Did you try opening each to see if it goes away?

TylerSC & tawood have good ideas. I had a strange buzzing noise in my face driving me nuts (short trip). When I pitched the nose up the noise decreased. Increased airspeed, increased buzzing. Turns out it was the seal for my windscreen, in front of me and down low by the cowling. It had separated over a 2 -3" span. On the ground it lay flat and unnoticed against the windscreen, but at speed it would vibrate against the plastic.

Left side of my pa28 has 2 vents, one below the dash and one just about at my left elbow. Did you try opening each to see if it goes away?
No, it was pretty cold so they were closed, which would make sense for a small leak. The one under the dash I assume is the one controlled by the pull knob on the passenger side?

TylerSC & tawood have good ideas. I had a strange buzzing noise in my face driving me nuts (short trip). When I pitched the nose up the noise decreased. Increased airspeed, increased buzzing. Turns out it was the seal for my windscreen, in front of me and down low by the cowling. It had separated over a 2 -3" span. On the ground it lay flat and unnoticed against the windscreen, but at speed it would vibrate against the plastic.
Thanks, I'll check that too!

No, it was pretty cold so they were closed, which would make sense for a small leak. The one under the dash I assume is the one controlled by the pull knob on the passenger side?
Normally, yes. I say "normally" because mine has been disabled, and is now controlled right at the vent itself, to be either all the way closed or all the way open.

Get some duct tape and start covering holes, gaps, etc until you solve it. Don't do too many at once so you identify the problem.

Back