Help! House got flooded, need plumbing advice

Is this a concern?
Depending on the wording of your policy, isn't it best to have the insurance co pay the contractors? Otherwise you must sign that you've been made whole, without seeing the results of the repairs. And you are left to deal with the contractors, and responsible for any overages or surprises. Unless the policy is being maxed out.

No problem, the check is only partial, just the first to get the work started. We sign absolutely nothing until the work is done. Overages and surprises go back to the insurance company to add to the claim.

Yeah, my average shower is about 4 minutes, no screwing around in there. Lather up real well, shampoo, rinse from top down. 4 minutes. Maybe once a week I'll go double that time, 8 minutes.

Some realizations when your home is a disaster area that may help others if this happens to you.

Within an hour of us discovering the flood a team was in the house doing "mitigation". This means ALL YOUR STUFF is moved around, piled on top of each other, and is misplaced and/or damaged.

There are certain things you need immediately. While it's fresh in my mind I'll note here.

Camera. Most people now have smart phones. In this situation it is a godsend. Take pictures of everything.

Clothes. Immediately pack enough clothes to get you through a few days until you can arrange laundry somewhere. Your dressers are going to be positioned in the middle of large furniture and your closets may be packed into boxes quickly so they can dry out any flooded rooms. Same goes for personal care items and any prescription medications, OTC meds or supplements you need.

Any other thing you need on a daily basis, get it out of the house immediately before it gets packed up or misplaced. For me it is my coffee set up. When the "guys" start tearing out kitchen cabinets they put stuff randomly into boxes and it becomes hard to find.

You might need envelops, stamps, tape, scissors and stapler, printer paper.

Undamaged computer, printer, monitors, might want to get out of the house to use where ever you'll be staying. They heap stuff all over the place and undamaged electronics could easily become damaged in the ensuing chaos. These guys are all about drying up the water, being delicate with your things is not the top priority. DAMAGED electronics remain, for the adjuster to see.

Important documents, social security cards, passports, birth certificates, titles to cars, etc., take out of the house and keep with you. We were asked for a copy of our social security cards and driver's license to apply to the apartment. Get your insurance policy and keep it with you.

Any valuables like guns, jewelry, checkbooks and boxes of checks, etc., get out of the house. Strangers are going to be handling EVERY SINGLE ITEM lying around your house.

Anything of sentimental value that is undamaged, might want to remove and secure in storage or somewhere else. If it is damaged, leave it there for the insurance adjusters to look at.

If the water is on and there's a workable restroom, stock it up with paper, and it needs a lock on the door. You'll be spending time at the house along with half a dozen "guys" who will also be using the facilities.

Clean out the refrigerator of leftovers and perishables. In a disaster involving tearing out the kitchen you won't be eating there. With the exception of WATER. If the power is on and fridge is running, stock it up with bottled water. You will need it.

Take your laundry hamper, your lingerie bag and favorite laundry detergent. That came in handy at the hotel this week for use in the hotel's laundry room.

Even though these mitigation folks are the good guys, on our side, and in this case the company even has a Christian based motto (Restoring Property and Lives with a Servant's Heart), a situation like this feels like a violation. Strangers invade your home and put their hands on all your things (I'll never leave a bra lying around again), as they move things around to drag out wet carpet, take down doors, cut out sheet rock and cabinets. Be emotionally prepared to let go. It's just STUFF.

Back