SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Hey, folks.

As many of you know, my wife's grandmother is 100 years old, and lives at home in her house in Tallahassee, doing quite well for herself.

But my wife's mom, who is almost 80, also lives there, and she is in extremely poor condition, essentially immobile with very bad scoliosis, and sundry other maladies which make her (in my opinion) needful of professional care all the time.

Instead, Grandmother (the 100-year-old one) is tending to her, cooking for her, bathing her, and generally busting her backside. It is going to kill her.

I admit, we have not a clue how such things work, but is there no relief at hand from Medicare / Medicaid to provide some sort of in-home assistance? Grandmother insists that nothing is available, and I freely admit complete ignorance... but (then again) my mom is in none too good condition here in Dallas, and she is getting help at home from periodic nurse visits, etc.

It would be good if Mother were in a nursing home, which IMHO she needs, and then Grandmother could either maintain her status-quo in her house with some modest help, or perhaps move into an assisted-living place. But Grandmother insists (and she is strong-willed) that she is staying in the house to tend to Mother, because "...she's my daughter."

Anybody out there have any idea what is available as a support resource for conditions like these? Neither Grandmother, nor Celia's Mom, has substantial financial resources; Grandmother had some money years ago but, as she says, "no one plans to live to 100 years old." She's self-supporting, but that's about it.

My wife's parents, likewise, are not wealthy, and her dad, while 85 years old, is in relatively good health and still needs to be able to maintain himself.

So how does all this stuff, for which we all pay with every paycheck, work? Is it a vast federal money-sucker that's available to somebody, just nobody we know?

Wits' end, ideas welcomed!

My sister does assisted living for four ladies in her home in Scottsdale. She's been at it for over 25 years. My other sister owned an assisted living home in CGI until a couple years ago.

In both cases, the state or social security would provide funds. In AZ, it varied with the person's ability. The more capable they are, the less it is.

A recent case my sister told me of was $1300 per month for a woman in her 70's. She was hiding her meds and becoming more difficult to manage; in other words more detailed care and supervision was required. Such a case could also rise to greater legal risk. The resident also wanted to change doctors which would add to the workload with changing meds, etc. With the resident becoming more difficult and resistant, it would take more than it was worth to get the payment increased by the state so my sister had the family move her. A person who needs greater care and supervision pays $1800 by the state. If paid by private pay, it tends to be higher than that because there's more expense for things the state doesn't pay for such as transportation, etc. The highest I can recall her ever charging was something like $2200.

There are very few small, private homes like my sister's but those are always the best. The residents truly do get very careful and personalized care. The larger, particularly the chain companies, tend to be closer to storage barns.

I've been to several of the latter as a courier making meds deliveries. I see residents scattered about and very few staff. Far too often, I'd have to hunt down an RN or LPN for signatures and would see even very few, if any, CNAs along the way. I've sworn I'll never end up in one of those even if it means making my airplane an ocean water-filled coffin.

The only locations I've seen which really provide decent care and comfort are the hospice centers with 10-25 residents. Clearly, that's not a need at this time. But, consider a move to one when it does. As far as I'm concerned, most of the nursing homes I've seen are nothing but storage barns. And, from what I've heard the fees of upward of $5000 a month seems pathetic overkill considering the care and service available.

There are also placement services which can find homes. They can assist with information on funding options. If she has much in assets (even a home), that will put a damper on available funds until it's sold and those funds run out. That became an issue for my mom in her last years when she stayed at my sister's home at CGI.

But, whatever you do seek out a private home if at all possible. Don't let her end up in one of the "storage barns" I see so many of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spike:
There are a few options:

1) Check with the state or county dept. of human services or department of Aging. These agencies often have social workers whose entire job is working in the system to help such folks as Celia's mom. They know all about funding, housing options etc. including county of state nurising homes.

2) JFS- Jewish Family Services or Cathloic Family Services. They are in most states and although they are run by the denominations in their name the provide services to seniors regardless of race, religion etc. I know up here JFS has a phenominal Social Service department that works with seniors in getting them placement, housing, nursing meals etc.

3)http://www.brookdalefoundation.org/index.htm

4) The clergy at her house of worship will also have some good recourses as should her Physcian.
Best of Luck

The problem with the Medicare/Medicaid solutions is that they will require a "spend down" of assets in order to qualify. If assets are already few, then there should be some kind of help available, though I'm not so sure about in-home assistance.

Believe it or not, state senators love to offer this kind of help for their constituents. A personal phone call to their office usually gets good results.

Good luck.

Hey, folks.

So how does all this stuff, for which we all pay with every paycheck, work? Is it a vast federal money-sucker that's available to somebody, just nobody we know?

Wits' end, ideas welcomed!

Spike ..

It comes down to how much assets your wife's mother has. If she doesn't
own a home and has few assets she's probably eligible for Medicaid. A local
nursing home there can refer you to a social worker who can help with it.
My fiancee just went thru that with her dad before he died .. and now her aunt.

I know they can give away their assets but it can't be within a certain
time frame prior to requesting help.

RT

Spike ..

It comes down to how much assets your wife's mother has. If she doesn't
own a home and has few assets she's probably eligible for Medicaid. A local
nursing home there can refer you to a social worker who can help with it.
My fiancee just went thru that with her dad before he died .. and now her aunt.

I know they can give away their assets but it can't be within a certain
time frame prior to requesting help.

RT

Well, here's the rub- they ain't rich, but they ain't broke- yet. And if they "spend down," then father-in-law becomes indigent, and he is in good health and (at 85) shows no signs of slowing.

In any event, we really don't think we can get them to move into residential facilities, so what we hope to find is some help in the home.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back